Is zamioculcas dangerous - how does it affect humans and animals

The favorite houseplant of Russian flower growers - Zamiokulkas - came from hot Africa. Like all aroid, this flower is poisonous, therefore, requires a special approach to growing. If there are small children and pets in the house, care must be taken in its maintenance.

Is zamioculcas dangerous - how does it affect humans and animals

Danger or not Zamioculcas

The plant contains juice, which has a toxic effect on the body. However, Zamioculcas does not emit any toxic fumes, therefore, simply being in the house is not dangerous.

The poison is harmful only when it enters the mucous membranes - in the mouth, nose, eyes.

Toxic sap circulates throughout the plant, so all parts are poisonous. Especially a lot of toxins in tubers.

With any damage to the leaves or branches from the wound, a white thick liquid immediately starts to ooze. It is this that poses the greatest danger. An allergic reaction can also be caused by pollen from the flowers of the plant.

How the plant affects children

An adult is unlikely to deliberately bite the leaves of a plant, but children may be wondering what the flower tastes like.

For a baby, the consequences of such a “meeting” with a flower can be expressed in the following:

  1. Allergic reactions (urticaria, rash, lacrimation, runny nose, wheezing);
  2. Chemical burns on the skin in the form of redness;
  3. If swallowed - stomach upsets, nausea, cramps in the abdomen;
  4. If juice enters the eyes - lacrimation, conjunctivitis, damage to the lining of the eye.

Symptoms of severe poisoning: abdominal pain, persistent vomiting, fever, loose stools, sometimes hallucinations and loss of consciousness.

If pollen gets on the mucous membranes, urgent hospitalization is required, because without treatment, a decrease in visual acuity can become irreversible.

How a plant affects animals

On cats

Cats have a constant need for fresh herbs. Many make up for it by gnawing potted plants. Toxic juice, falling into the animal’s stomach, causes severe poisoning.

An attentive owner will immediately notice that something is amiss with the pet. The cat screams, lays on its front paws, it vomits, foam comes from the mouth.

The further outcome depends on the dose received. In any case, it must be urgently taken to the veterinarian for gastric lavage.

Important! The degree of intoxication directly depends on the time that elapses from the moment of poisoning. The washing and adsorbents received by the animal in the first hour will save his life. Otherwise, death is possible.

On dogs

Dogs do not feel the need to eat greens in the house, but they are naturally playful. This is especially true for small puppies - they gnaw everything that catches your eye.

Zamioculcas leaves can attract shaggy naughty, he will begin to bite and pull them, so toxic substances will fall into the mouth and stomach.

Place flowers out of reach of animals

Symptoms of poisoning are the same as in cats - pain, vomiting, foam in the mouth, tremors. The animal needs the help of a veterinarian immediately.

You can avoid problems if you put a flowerpot with a flower higher, where the pet will not jump. With a cat, such a “trick” will not work, but it will be enough for the dog.

On the birds

Cases of parrot poisoning with zamioculcus venom have been recorded. These curious birds sometimes peck plants - out of interest or out of boredom.

The danger is that it is impossible to wash the toxin from their stomach - washing it will kill the feathered bird rather than the poison itself. They have a completely different digestive system and do not have a bladder, so they will have to save the parrot differently.

At the first symptoms of poisoning:

  • Adsorbent diluted in water - activated carbon, Enterosgel, Karbolen, Sorbeks is poured into the beak with a syringe without a needle.
  • After an hour, you need to give a laxative - a decoction of flax seeds, or Glauber's salt. With vomiting, 1 drop of Cerucal is dripped into the beak of a parrot.
  • Next, you need only a plentiful drink.

If the dose of the toxin is small, the bird is likely to recover.

First aid for poisoning

If poisonous juice enters the stomach, an ambulance must be urgently called in, and while it is in the process of washing it.

For adults, it is possible to drink a solution of potassium permanganate and cause vomiting. The volume of liquid is selected individually - one is enough 300 ml, the other will need 1 liter or more.

After profuse vomiting, you need to drink Smecta or activated charcoal and go to bed. The absorbent will prevent further absorption of the poison into the blood, the condition will gradually improve.

Toxins are eliminated from the body with fluid, so try to drink water as often as possible.

If the child is poisoned with Zamioculcas poison, it is better to take him to the clinic right away. This is especially true for children under 5 years old.

Flushing their stomach on their own is prohibited! You can only aggravate a serious condition.

Further intoxication will also require professional actions by physicians in order to remove it competently and without consequences.

Fatal outcome

Plant juice can cause irreparable harm to the body

If the poison enters the body of a small allergic child, or a person with an acute individual reaction becomes a victim of the toxin, a fatal outcome is possible.

It all depends on the amount of substance that has entered the stomach. It is hardly possible to die from one or two leaves.

Important! The risk of death is excluded only with timely actions to remove the poison from the body. If you do nothing, then even a small dose of toxin can cause serious harm. Internal organs, especially the kidneys and liver, can suffer irreversibly.

How to prevent poisoning

Any manipulations with zamiokulkas must be carried out with gloves. Even if pruning is not planned, the sheet may accidentally break off and poisonous juice will fall on the skin.

Do not touch the eyes and mouth while working with the plant. Hands after the procedure are thoroughly washed with soap and wiped dry.

It is better not to keep the flower at home where there are small children and cats. From dogs it is simply cleaned higher.

If one of the family members has an allergy of any etiology, the flower must also be discarded. Even pollen can cause an unpredictable reaction.

Useful videos

All plants from the Aroid family are fraught with a certain danger - poisonous juice. Therefore, they require careful handling. However, observing the rules of self-defense during transplantation and pruning, you can keep zamioculcas in the house without fear of poisoning. But you can’t neglect the rules so as not to risk your health and life.

Recommended

Eggplant Roma F1
2019
Pepper Yeast
2019
Technology for growing cucumbers on the balcony
2019