Why white spots appear on the leaves of tomato seedlings
Tomatoes are not considered a capricious crop, but like other vegetables, they can undergo various diseases. Many gardeners believe that late blight disease is the most common disease that attacks tomato plantings. However, tomato seedlings are sometimes exposed to other diseases and pest attacks. White spots on the leaves of tomato seedlings are not uncommon and occur even with proper care in experienced gardeners. Spots can have a different color, texture, size and area of damage. You should carefully study the nature of the spots to find out the specific reason for their appearance.
Causes of white spots on the leaves of tomato seedlings
White spots throughout the tomato seedlings occur mainly on young plantings, as they have not yet formed immunity. Spotting and white stains appear most often on large varieties of tomatoes. If you notice and prevent white spots on tomatoes in time, then you can heal the plantings and enjoy the harvest next season. The only good point with the appearance of white spots is that it is not difficult to notice a bloom or damage to seedlings. The main rule of growing a tomato is to regularly water the plantings and do not overdo it with fertilizers.
Why do white spots appear on seedlings?
As soon as the gardener noticed the appearance of white spots, measures should immediately be taken to resolve this situation. First of all, it is worthwhile to understand where the spots came from, and then decide what methods should get rid of spotting.
White spots may appear for two reasons.
- Sun or heat burn.
- Fungal infections.
It often happens that tomatoes grow well, they feel wonderful, but as soon as the place of stay changes, they immediately lose their appearance. This is due to the fact that tomatoes are not used to a new place, especially with regard to sunlight. In the case of sunburn, spots can be seen on the upper leaves. At the initial stage of sunburn, the lower part of the plant is exposed to the disease, gradually affecting the seedlings to the very top.
Burns on tomato seedlings
Typically, such spots appear after the place of permanent residence has been changed. For example, the seedlings were taken outside and placed on the sunny side. Tomatoes should gradually become accustomed to sunlight. Every day you need to take out the tomatoes closer to the sunlight, starting to stay in the sun from 10 minutes a day. Every day you can gradually increase the interval, but you can not put tomatoes under direct rays. Arrange the tomatoes so that they remain a bit in the shade. The main thing is to constantly monitor the entire process in order to avoid burns, otherwise it is impossible to restore a charred plant. A burn stops the normal development of the plant.
If, nevertheless, a seedling burn occurred and only a small part of the leaves was affected, then the plant can be helped a little. It is necessary to spray tomato seedlings with a solution of epin. But this method is effective if the plant has burn spots and the leaves are not completely burned. Otherwise, they cannot be restored. Due to the fear of sunburn, many gardeners do not expose tomatoes in the sun, but it is not worth completely depriving seedlings of the day sun. Otherwise, planting will grow with poor immunity.
Watering is an important factor and can sometimes negatively affect the plant. You can not water the seedlings in sunny weather. The remaining droplets on the leaves reflect sunlight, and it looks like a magnifying glass effect. Thus, the leaves are damaged. The best time for watering is always considered evening. The same goes for spraying. A sunburn occurs due to irrigation with cold water on hot soil and steam is released. Such watering and evaporation can harm your plantings. Steam burns the leaves and they can be cooked literally. Care should be taken in advance about good ventilation in the room. After overheating, tomatoes are no longer treatable.
Fungal disease tomato
Previous lesions have similarities and foci of white spots can be seen immediately. In the case of a fungal disease, the plant begins to get sick from the root itself. This is due to the fact that the disease passes through the soil. Unfortunately, the most affected plants cannot be restored. You need to get rid of them so that the infection does not go to other plantings and all the bushes do not disappear. Greenhouses and hotbeds create even more favorable conditions for fungal diseases.
Common types of fungal diseases
There are several types of fungal diseases.
- Powdery Mildew It affects the leaves with white moss and light spots. For prevention, you should often ventilate the room so that there is no strong greenhouse effect. Leaves begin to dry prematurely. For the treatment of such a disease, such drugs as: "Tsineba" and "Haupsina" are suitable. A good solution would be to consult with a specialist in this field, since it is very difficult to fight this disease. In the rainy season, it is better to cultivate the soil with special means to avoid unpleasant situations.
- Septoria It also has the name "white spotting." The disease usually affects the region of the lower leaves. With septoria, dirty and white spots occur. The cause of septoria is hot weather. Especially if hot weather is accompanied by high humidity. Often not only the leaves are a lesion, but also the stem. Severely affected leaves should be removed to avoid further spread of the infection. After, you should treat the plant with phytosporin. The fungus that causes the lesion hides in the soil for the winter. Therefore, in the fall, you need to remove all excess grass and till the soil. If you do not take any action, then black spots appear on the white plaque.
- Mosaic rot. Marsupial mushroom is the causative agent of the disease. A white-gray coating appears on the lower part of the leaves, and yellow spots on the upper part. Unfortunately, saving the plant will fail. It should be completely removed and treated with soil. It is important to observe the correct temperature conditions, especially during the growing season.
- White rot. White rot develops when the air temperature is low and humidity is present. Lesions pass on the stems of the plant and fruits. Later, softening of tissues occurs and mucus forms. The tomato begins to fade. A plant with such a lesion is very difficult to cure, and at the last stage it is not at all possible. To prevent the disease, you need to monitor the level of humidity and temperature at the place where the tomatoes grow. It is not difficult to get rid of such a disease, the main thing is to notice it at the very initial stage.
- Late blight. It appears white plaque on the leaves. First, the tomato bush fades, and then becomes soft. Many methods and means have been invented for the struggle. But it is worth remembering late blight adapts perfectly to the new composition. For this reason, it is worth using several tools. If you need to remove the fruits, then then it is recommended that they be held in hot water for a couple of minutes. In this way, the fruits can be disinfected. This must be done, even if there is no damage to the fruit.
- Macrosporiosis. It also affects plants with rounded spots. First, the lower leaves are affected, and over time, the lesion focus also passes to the upper leaves.
The appearance of white plaque and spots requires immediate treatment. Otherwise, the gardener will be forced to destroy the crop in order to avoid further damage, since the seedlings will no longer be able to fully develop. As the disease progresses, the leaves may curl and dry.
How to prevent the occurrence of diseases?
To prevent spotting on tomato seedlings, the following rules must be observed:
- Compliance with comfortable conditions in the greenhouse.
- Before placing seedlings in the soil, it must be well treated with a disinfectant solution.
- Plants that are severely affected should be removed immediately.
- Enrich the soil with the missing elements.
- You should worry about crop safety in advance.
Only after establishing the exact causes, one should begin to fight the disease.
Ways to fight
- Make sure that the sun does not fall on the tomatoes.
- Periodically replenish the soil with useful additives and substances, but do not overdo it with their introduction.
- Destroy the affected leaves.
- If necessary, it is necessary to carry out the processing of slices with garden var.
Many people use folk recipes to treat lesions. These include tincture of garlic, dairy products and the like. But such methods are effective at the very early stage of the development of the disease, and it’s quite difficult to keep track of it. Also, some gardeners pierce the stem with wire and use iodine. But this method is more related to prevention than to treatment. One small white blotch can lead to the negative consequences of the development of the disease, if measures are not taken in time and the conditions for the growth of this culture are not foreseen.
Harvest of tomatoes depends entirely on the conditions in which it grows. But in case of the onset of the disease, it can always be prevented at an early stage. If more unpretentious varieties are required, then it is worth paying attention to: "Amiko", "Joker", "Platus", "Shasta". Following simple rules, you can prevent the defeat of tomatoes with white spotting, which harms the plant. If these actions do not work, then it is worth replacing the tomatoes with more resistant varieties to different factors of diseases. For your efforts, tomato seedlings will give you a plentiful and tasty harvest.