Why chickens can stop flying
Chicken is a bird with which many farmers begin their activity in raising birds, because to grow and maintain this laying hen does not need expensive equipment and a lot of time and at the beginning of the way there is no question why the chickens stopped flying. Mostly chickens are bred for the purpose of obtaining eggs and subsequent profit. To ensure good laying hens, it is necessary to provide them with appropriate care and conditions in the fall and summer, which is often forgotten by farmers.
Why the hens stopped rushing
As a result, the question arises as to why the chickens stopped flying, if there are no obvious signs indicating a problem. The reasons why pies can stop laying eggs are varied and special, therefore, to find out, you will need to pay attention to reading the article.
How to feed hens properly?
Before looking for an answer to the question of why the hens stopped running, you should consider a fairly common case when a hen just changes its place for masonry. Especially often this can be found on small farms and can be caused by a change in flocking positions or any other changes that interfere with the bird. It sometimes happens that birds in the spring rush even in places that are not at all distinguished by comfort and coziness, therefore it is advisable to check bushes or flooring of logs and firewood.
Speaking about the specific reasons for the lack of eggs, it is worth noting that often the problem of deterioration of egg production lies in the improper and unbalanced diet. The value of the feed is so great that if at least one desired vitamin is missing in the diet, the number of eggs produced will decrease dramatically. In order for the laying hens not to need any trace element or product, it is necessary that the poultry breeder follows a number of recommendations.
- The main diet of pets should be a plentiful amount of whole grains, barley, greens, millet and oats. In autumn and winter, chickens can be fed vegetables, but this should be done rationally so that the layers are not fatty and do not have digestive problems.
- To provide calcium to the bird, it is important to add food saturated with minerals and vitamins to the daily menu, such as shells and chalk, eggshells and bone meal. the latter are considered the main sources of phosphorus and calcium.
- You can increase the appetite of a laying hen with the help of table salt, which is a storehouse of chloride.
- In order to process food in the body according to all standards, you need to feed the chickens with gravel, which can mimic the passage of feed in the digestive tract.
- In addition to food, it is especially important to provide adults and youngsters with the proper amount of fluid. In particular, it is necessary to monitor this in the summer (June-July) and in arid hot weather.
Malnutrition is one of the main reasons why chickens have stopped laying eggs. If you are confident in feeding the laying hens, you should consider other possible provoking factors.
Providing hens with appropriate lighting
The reasons for the deterioration of egg production may also be hidden in the poor organization of lighting for the chicken. Birds have a well-developed natural instinct, due to which they rise with the sunrise and fall asleep with sunset. Daylight hours of chickens should last about 13-17 hours. If it is not possible to observe the necessary conditions, it is extremely important to provide artificial light time for the chicken coop.
At the same time, it is necessary to provide poultry with a comfortable living temperature, not exceeding 15 ° C. A lower temperature will lead to the loss of all the energy needed by the laying hens, and a higher temperature will consume more water, which will lead to a decrease in the eggs produced. To prevent the birds from freezing in the winter, it is necessary to insulate and heat the house if possible. In summer, birds should be allowed to walk along the shade and drink plenty of fluids.
Effect of Stress on Layers
Chickens are considered birds that react to stress as quickly as possible. It is stress that often leads birds to stop laying eggs. To find out exactly which detail led to a decrease in the number of eggs is possible only After analyzing the daily life of laying hens. So, hens rush worse if:
- they have not yet gained strength after moving or the appearance of new birds in the house: it is enough to wait a week for the birds to get used to new conditions, during this period you can feed them with greens;
- they starved for a long time or did not eat up;
- dramatically change their diet and introduce new, previously unknown feed;
- move them to a small chicken coop with limited space for movement;
- they are influenced by loud ambient sounds;
- currently taking antibiotics and medications.
The listed reasons can be detected almost immediately, so do not postpone their search until later. It is also important to monitor the behavior and appearance of the layers. If the birds are characterized by lethargy, aggressiveness, loss of energy and activity, then it makes sense to show them to the veterinarian in order to identify serious diseases.
It is no secret that young chickens are more productive and productive than birds of advanced age. Chickens are best carried at the age of about 1.5-2 years, taking into account the presence of a rooster of the same age in the house. To check for the presence or absence of this reason, you need to put a couple of new layers in the room. In the event that young laying hens begin to carry the required number of eggs, we can talk about the old chickens reaching old age. If the problem is not at the age of the chickens, then the culprit for the unsatisfactory egg production is an aged rooster, unable to cope with duties.
What to do in this case? Old laying hens should be cut down and replaced by young individuals, and it is better to give preference to conducting a mass slaughter so as not to confuse the birds. As a compromise option, you can use the purchase of a new herd of a different breed in order to track the "obsolete" individuals.
Ways to increase egg production
Having found out why the chickens stopped laying eggs, it is necessary to proceed to consider how to return them to their previous productive state and what needs to be done to do this. So, hens only rush if:
- provide them with proper and balanced nutrition, saturated with a variety of herbs and vitamin components;
- provide them with the proper time to adapt to new living conditions, new residents of the house - this will not take more than a week;
- create a suitable temperature regime for pets, which will be accompanied by warm air and the right daylight hours;
- annually replenish the flock with other birds of other breeds, in order to prevent a decrease in egg production after 9-10 months;
- to provide laying hens with a calm environment with protection from noisy influences and environmental irritants.
You will also need to carry out several elementary manipulations.
- Prepare the shed for winter frosts, which is better to start in October or November. In advance, whitewash the room with lime and treat the window slots with foam. For putty through holes, it is better to use a putty or clay mortar. It is also important to cover the holes with foam and cover the brick with dry corn stalks.
- In spring, laying hens have enough vegetation in the walking areas, otherwise there is a risk of a spring strike. In order for the spring to be successful, even if grazing is not possible, you must give the hens a little chopped grass throughout the day. For these purposes, in April and May, you can use a large number of different greens: nettle, beetroot, milkweed, etc. After receiving the necessary supply of vitamins, chickens are carried on schedule.
- Make sure that your pets are not affected by obesity or lack of vitamins. In the case when the chicken lacks movement, while its food is oversaturated with protein, obesity can occur. In order to remedy the situation, it is necessary to completely change the diet of the bird and get advice from a veterinarian and a specialist in feeding. You may have to switch to a special compound feed developed for laying hens, and additional feeding.
When the farmer cannot find out what exactly led to the deterioration of the layers, he should contact the veterinarian as soon as possible for help. Sometimes serious diseases can develop inside the bird, the manifestations of which are difficult or impossible to notice.
As it turned out, the causes of poor egg production can be hidden both in nutrition and in the age of birds. In order for the bird to be able to lay quality eggs, it is important to take care of its content and balanced nutrition. Only after this, the birds will again begin to please a large number of products.