Wet tail in a rabbit
No one is safe from diseases: neither people, nor animals, nor birds. Rabbits are also susceptible to various kinds of infections and diseases. Beginners and still not too experienced farmers often fall into a stupor when they see a wet tail in a rabbit.
Wet tail in a rabbit
In this case, panic is not necessary: the first thing is to deal with the causes of the appearance of such a symptom in a pet. The most important is most often colibacillosis disease. This disease is popularly called the wet tail. Colibacillosis is an infectious disease, the causative agent of which is Escherichia coli. This disease is accompanied by enteritis.
Symptoms of colibacillosis
The main symptom that gave the popular name (wet tail or wood lice) to this disease is diarrhea in rabbits.
Watery discharge under the tail is an alarming sign, meaning that not everything is fine with the animal. In addition, there are a number of other equally important symptoms that need to be able to recognize. Among them:
- loss of appetite;
- lethargy and inactive behavior over a long period of time;
- passivity and estrangement from other animals;
- watery discharge (feces) under the tail.
Do not immediately get scared and stuff the animal with medicines. Although colibacillosis can have very serious consequences, it is first of all better to make sure that the diagnosis is made on one's own, because diarrhea can be caused both by colibacillosis and other intestinal diseases or banal indigestion in rabbits.
Having shown the animal to the veterinarian, the farmer most often receives recommendations on nutrition, conditions of detention and the selection of medicines for his wards.
If the examination by the animal doctor still did not take place, you can try to cure the animal yourself, because the principle of treatment of intestinal diseases is practically the same. It is important to approach this matter with all responsibility, so as not to cause additional harm to the animal or worsen its current condition.
How is the disease transmitted?
This disease is infectious, which means it can be transmitted to other individuals on the farm. Colibacillosis is transmitted by airborne droplets and through the use of common household items: dishes, drinking bowls, nests for sleeping.
The disease is transmitted by airborne droplets
To protect the rest of the brood from infection with a wet tail, it is better to take the following set of measures:
- It is best to isolate the infected rabbit during treatment and recovery. This will prevent infection from entering other organisms.
- If isolation is not possible (not enough space or funds), you need to pay more attention to hygiene in the room where the rabbits are.
- Wash and disinfect the feeders and drinking bowls thoroughly.
- If possible, it is necessary to limit the use by the infected representative of common dishes with the other members of the brood.
- During treatment, include immunity-strengthening vitamins in the diet of the remaining representatives of this family.
Do not worry. This disease will not be able to affect all individuals if the treatment is started on time and all precautions are taken. In the initial stages, it is well curable, and the rabbit's body is able to fight the infection that got into it for some time.
But if the disease is still present, the rabbit will have to be treated, then there is no getting anywhere. With an independent selection of a course of drugs, you need to study a considerable amount of literature on this topic.
Treatment for colibacillosis
In fairness, we note that this disease affects not only rabbits: rodents (mice, hamsters, chinchillas, guinea pigs, etc.) suffer from infectious diarrhea much more often than representatives of this family.
The treatment of this disease should be comprehensive: consist of the selection of antibacterial pharmacy products, nutrition regulation and environmental care of the sick animal. Let's start with pharmacy drugs:
- Use inside of tetracycline. The dosage should be selected individually by the veterinarian.
- You can use subcutaneous injections. To do this, use a drug called cloramphenicol.
- Eating with Metonizadol. It, like Tetracycline, needs to be diluted with water.
- You can also treat wet tail with Ersefuril (Nifuroxazide). He, like previous medicines, is available for sale at ordinary drugstores. Give this medicine 2 or 3 times a day.
- Vaseline oil can remove toxins from the body of an animal.
- Papaverine or No-Shpa can be a salvation not only for humans, but also for animals: they make spasms less painful in rabbits or eliminate them altogether.
- You can apply a glucose solution. It is injected. The procedure is recommended to be performed daily twice or thrice.
- You can include saline (sodium chloride) in your rabbit’s diet. Giving it to drink needs a little to restore the body.
- Linex also helps restore intestinal microflora. It can be purchased at your local pharmacy.
It is important to note that all these methods cannot be used at the same time, because this can cause serious malfunctions in the functioning of vital rodent systems. You should choose one of the proposed options and follow it. It is best to consult a veterinarian.
Methods for treating colibacillosis in rabbits
The next item is the adjustment of the diet of the animal.
It should include vitamin-rich foods and exclude elements that cause indigestion. Recommendations for the diet for rabbits during treatment:
- it is worth excluding raw fruits and vegetables from the menu of pets so that watery discharge ceases to appear on the legs and tail;
- a reduction in the intake of fatty acids by sick animals is also required: for this it is necessary to increase the percentage of hay and grain feed;
- the farmer must ensure that his wards have access to clean, fresh and high-quality drinking water; he must always monitor the condition of feeders and drinking bowls, regularly carry out their disinfection;
- After treatment, it is recommended that the rabbits be given a course of drugs to restore intestinal microflora in order to prevent its weakening and, as a result, the development of new diseases.
Among other things, if the rabbit has booty, tail or legs in feces, you need to carefully care for it and ensure that the animal is properly cleansed of its body so as not to cause the development of skin diseases, because for the rabbit its skin and coat are the main heat regulators.
It is also worth following the general recommendations for caring for a sick rabbit. This will help to avoid mass infection and accelerate the process of treatment and recovery of the patient. Here are the main ones:
- The cage must be dry and clean. Excessive moisture at the place of residence of rabbits is a favorable environment for the reproduction of bacteria.
- It is better to isolate the infected rabbit: in this way, the mohawk will quickly return to normal, colibacillosis will cease to develop. If you still have nowhere to put it, it is important to take care of the disinfection of the cell several times a day.
- The condition of the feeders and drinkers should be perfect. To do this, they need to be cleaned daily or every 2 days.
- When treating with drops, they need to be dripped into the patient’s mouth, and injections should be made into the withers area (rabbit’s neck).
- The farmer should wash his hands after contact with an infected animal, so as not to become a carrier of the disease.
Observing these simple rules, you can easily avoid the spread of infection to other pets. Colibacillosis can lead to the development of other diseases, for example, stomatitis. A weakened animal organism cannot fight all incoming infections, therefore it is better not to delay the treatment and recovery process.
For the prevention of colibacillosis, it is necessary to care for their wards carefully, choose high-quality food for them and maintain cleanliness in their place of residence. Proper care not only helps to avoid many diseases, but also improves the performance of animals, as a result of which their productivity increases.