Ways to accelerate the ripening of tomatoes in a greenhouse
Many people wonder why tomatoes do not blush in the greenhouse and mature poorly. There may be several reasons why tomatoes do not ripen in the greenhouse. Consider the main reasons in the article.
Ways to accelerate the ripening of a tomato in a greenhouse
The ripening process of tomatoes
In the first 30 days after the ovary, the tomatoes grow rapidly, and the next 20-25 days are poured and blush. A tomato is considered to be of high quality, which has been poured and acquired a red color even in the garden, before harvesting. This is a sign that the tomato contains a whole set of useful substances and has excellent taste.
There are types of tomatoes that have a yellow or green color. Familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the variety - perhaps it should not blush.
But if the variety must ripen in the garden, but it does not ripen in time, then there are certain reasons that arise when grown both in open ground and in greenhouse conditions.
Tatyana Orlova (candidate of agricultural sciences):
There is another phenomenon. Gardeners may have noticed that a number of varieties of foreign selection, related mainly to early ripening varieties, are not tasty. They have few sugars, they are dense, but they lie for a long time. When breeding such varieties (or rather hybrids), they acted on the gene responsible for the color of the fruits. These hybrids turn red, and the red color of a tomato for us is an indicator of its ripeness when they are still in technical ripeness. That is, in fact, such fruits are still green, but already have a red color.
Reasons for the appearance of unripe tomatoes
If your tomatoes do not blush in the equipped greenhouse, you can conclude that they are missing something. What factors can interfere with the normal development of a vegetable crop and the fact that it does not ripen well?
- Air temperature. The optimum range is from 22 to 29 ° C. When hypothermia or excessive heating in the vegetable lycopene metabolism is lost. Tomatoes acquire a bright yellow color and will no longer turn red.
- Excessive sunshine adversely affects the development of the plant: the fruits can simply burn out. However, tomatoes should not be kept in the dark.
- Microclimate. Avoid excessive humidity in the greenhouse and sudden fluctuations in temperature.
- Landing density. The distance between the bushes should be at least 30 cm. Tightly planted to each other, the fruits ripen unevenly.
- Fertilizer. Excess nitrogen leads to a delay in ripening and staining of leaves in gray-golden color. In turn, an insufficient amount of potassium in the soil leads to stiffness of the stems, which results in a backwardness in the formation of tomatoes with a properly mass.
- Grade. For each climate zone, there are the most suitable varieties of tomatoes. In places with predominantly cold weather, early varieties are preferred.
Tatyana Orlova (candidate of agricultural sciences):
In cold regions of the country, where there is a short growing season, you can grow varieties not only early in ripening, but also with a friendly return of the crop. In such varieties, only 1-2 brushes are laid, all stepchildren, delaying the nutrition of the plant, are removed in a timely manner. This allows you to get a full crop before steadily cold weather.
Stick to recommendations
There are recommendations that can accelerate the ripening of a tomato in a greenhouse:
- Iodine deficiency will help to replenish foliar dressing from a solution of iodine (35 drops) per 10 liters of boiled water.
- In the fall, plants cannot receive enough sunlight. To maximize the warmth of your tomatoes, cut off any excess leaves from the bush and turn it to the sunny side. Remove all obstacles that prevent rays from entering. Budding during the cold season is rather unpromising, therefore it is recommended to carefully remove flowering buds. New fruits are unlikely to have time to ripen before the onset of cold weather. When they arrive, move the plants to the warmest corner of the greenhouse or cover with a cloth so that they do not freeze.
- Pasynkovka and pruning brushes will also help when the vegetable does not ripen evenly. Cut the leaves and shoots to those areas where the fruits are already being sung and have already poured, and new ones will not form. In this way, you save more nutrition for needy fruits, and they will grow faster.
- To protect the plants from infection, which can also cause overriding, treat the leaves with protective solutions: vitriol or alternative methods, garlic water diluted with alcohol - 2-3 times for a week and a half.
- If tomatoes blush badly in the greenhouse, ethyl alcohol helps speed up the process. It is necessary to spray a few drops of it close to the root of the tomato. In the near future, the fruits that are lagging behind in development will catch up with the ripened specimens and will continue to develop faster.
- A popular procedure among vegetable growers is a reduction in the metabolism of the upper and lower sides of the bushes. To do this, the stalk of the tomatoes is cut and a metal wire is inserted into it.
- If an unripe fruit is placed next to a ripe tomato, then after a while it will begin to ripen faster due to ethylene. The statement is not scientific, but you can still try to speed up the ripening and redness in this way.
If all the tomatoes in the greenhouse do not blush, the fault is their improper care. In rare cases, the matter is the flaws of the variety itself.
Growing in a greenhouse has its own nuances. High humidity does not affect the formation of fruits too well, although they like the soil abundantly moist. Therefore, make sure that the level does not exceed the norm.
No artificial lighting can replace the plant with a natural light source. Nevertheless, try to ensure the maximum that special lamps for greenhouses can give.
You can ripen tomatoes at the same time, subject to the following rules:
- watering the soil: frequent, but dosed;
- soil fertilizer: alternation of organics and minerals, based on nutrition - phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium fertilizing;
- weeding, timely weeds removed will facilitate the nightshade culture of ubiquitous growth and development;
- stepsoning and garter: removing unnecessary shoots and forming stems - a condition for obtaining a neat garden;
- spraying: late blight, viral tobacco mosaic and gray rot are the main enemies of tomatoes.
Pick up regional varieties of tomatoes. They should be suitable for growing in your climate zone - then ripening will occur on time.
To keep all the copies on time, it’s enough to simply adhere to the general rules for the care of tomatoes and to be honest in their work.