Varietal features of nutmeg pumpkin Pearl
The fruits of gourds are highly appreciated for the large number of medicinal substances that make up the composition and a pleasant taste. One of the most fragrant, tasty and healthy is the Pearl Muscat pumpkin. So that she does not lose her taste, it is important to observe the correct conditions for her cultivation.
Varietal features of nutmeg pumpkin Pearl
Medium-late plant: between planting seeds in the ground and harvesting, at least 100-110 days must pass, and sometimes full ripeness must wait up to 130 days. Short-haired, powerful, it has from 4 to 7 side lashes.
Description of Pumpkin Pearl.
- The form. Most often, it is elongated-cylindrical, sometimes roundish, oval, ribbed fruits are found. The pear-shaped form, which has a thickening in the upper part, is especially appreciated. It contains a small seed nest, and the rest of the vegetable is pulp, which significantly increases the size of the edible component of the product.
- Size and weight. Pumpkins of this variety are large: their average length is from 45 to 50 cm. Weight - 5-8 kg.
- Color. The peel of the plant gradually changes its color from gray-green to orange-greenish. The pulp, due to keratin, is a bright reddish-orange color.
- Skin. Thin, flexible.
- Pulp. It has a fibrous structure, juicy, soft, crispy, dense, located in a thick layer. Delicate, tasteful. Included in many culinary dishes.
- Leaves. They are medium in size, pentagonal, not dissected. Dark green with white slight spots.
The main characteristics of this type of pumpkin are:
- resistance to low temperatures;
- high yield;
- good tolerance of drought;
- long shelf life.
Harvest in clear, dry weather, trying not to break the tail under the root - it should be from 5 to 10 cm in length. If possible, the ripped fruits are kept in the sun for about 3-4 days.
Tip: do not store the pumpkin in the cellar or basement - there it will quickly mold and rot. Try to eat it for six months, because after that the vegetable loses its taste.
To obtain a quality crop, it is important to adhere to certain principles. The quantity and taste of the removed fruits directly depend on this.
An important condition in the process of growing this gourd is a correctly selected land. It should be:
- well-lit by the sun, quickly warmed up;
- protected from drafts;
- with sandy loam or loamy soil.
Growing nutmeg fruits does not require much effort, high time and material costs. For this reason, even inexperienced gardeners can cultivate them.
Seeds for planting must be prepared
Before planting seeds, they must be prepared. For this purpose it is necessary:
- soak them for 18-20 hours in an aqueous solution of potassium permanganate in the calculation of 500 mg per 1 liter of water;
- after the specified time, rinse the planting material with clean water;
- dry the seeds well;
- treat them with a contact fungicide (this will help protect the plant from various diseases).
Seed preparation is carried out shortly before planting.
To plant a pumpkin, you need to prepare the beds. To do this, dig the holes, leaving a distance between them of about 1 to 1.4 m. Position the beds so that the distance between them is about 1 m 40 cm.
Planting seeds can be done in two ways:
- directly into the ground;
- for seedlings.
Plant seeds in the ground in late May - early June. For seedlings, sow them in April. It is advisable to put 2 seeds in a hole to a depth of about 5 cm.
Thin the sprouts that appear. With proper sowing of planting material, you can harvest up to 15 kg from 1 square. m
Information: the most rapid growth of pumpkin occurs at a temperature of 18 to 25 ° C.
In order for young shoots of nutmeg plants to grow well, they need careful care. If the summer period is accompanied by cold weather, cut the stems, leaving no more than three pieces.
When the sprout reaches a height of 50 cm, cut off the top. This will enable the lateral processes to develop.
During flowering, it is important to water the plants regularly
Although the Pearl pumpkin tolerates dry periods well, it is a fairly hygrophilous plant. It should be watered under the roots about once a week. The most important points when a plant needs watering are:
- period of active formation of inflorescences;
- flowering time;
- fruit setting stage.
Upon completion of the stage of ovary formation, the frequency and intensity of irrigation should be reduced to 1 time in 2 weeks. Otherwise, there is a risk of reducing the palatability of the pumpkins due to excess moisture, as well as the likelihood of cracking.
To develop the vegetative part, on which the fruits are formed, sprinkle branching internodes with previously moistened earth. This procedure will result in more subordinate roots. Powder should be done 2-3 times per season.
Pumpkin Pearl is characterized by a good reaction to top dressing. The very first is produced during planting, introducing organic fertilizer and humus in a ratio of 2 tbsp. l 5 kg.
In the first 2 summer months, top dressing is done every 2 weeks, combining:
- a solution of cow manure - 1: 5;
- complex mineral fertilizers - 1 tbsp. l
In the last summer month, they switch to potash fertilizers.
Information: when planting a nutmeg melon culture near the compost pit, the yield increases several times.
For normal pollination, compliance with:
- humidity level;
- temperature condition.
Optimum is an average humidity indicator - from 60 to 70%. The temperature should be above 20 ° C.
Diseases and Pests
The most common and most dangerous for a variety of nutmeg pumpkin Pearl are the following diseases and pests:
- bacteriosis. Represents the appearance of brown dots on the seed lobes, which gradually degenerate into ulcers. The plant affected by the disease is subject to complete destruction with disinfection of the growth site and neighboring pumpkins with Bordeaux liquid or copper sulfate;
- root rot - a fungal infection of the roots and stems, leading to a halt in the development of the fruit. They fight the disease by watering the roots with a solution of Previkur and applying top dressing in the form of copper sulfate and zinc sulfate (1: 1). To form new roots, the plant is sprinkled with soil;
- powdery mildew is a resistant fungus that appears due to an excess of moisture, low temperatures, an excessive amount of nitrogenous fertilizers. Medicine: sodium hydrogen phosphate, cumulus;
- spider mite - a pest that appears on the leaves in the dry period. It is afraid of moisture, eliminated with a solution of isophene, ground sulfur;
- melon aphid is a pest that settles on the underside of leaves. You can get rid of it by spraying karbofos.
The surest way to prevent the emergence of diseases and pests is to periodically weed beds from weeds, remove infected plants, and not overdo it with watering.