Using Amprolium for Turkeys
When growing poultry, farmers often encounter infectious diseases. A proven remedy for treating turkey flocks against common coccidiosis is the turkey amprolium.
Using Amprolium for Turkeys
Pharmacology of the drug and composition
Amprolium for turkeys refers to a water-soluble powder, the color of which can be in acceptable shades of white and light yellow. The main active ingredient is hydrochloride, which is 13 of the entire composition. Among the other components leading to the amprolium is the lactose component.
The drug is packaged in different volumes from 50 grams to 5 kilograms in paper bags with a plastic cover. Packages from a double layer of polyethylene can act as filling material. Plastic containers can also be a filling form.
Amprolum for turkeys is a medication with anticoccidial action, which is active against certain types of coccidiotic pathogens. The active substance hydrochloride in its chemical composition is closest to the vitamin B1 of thiamine, which supports the viability of coccidiosis bacteria. Its effect is reduced to the penetration of bacteria into the cellular component, occupying the binding centers and causing a violation of carbohydrate metabolism, which is the cause of the death of coccidiosis bacteria.
Membranes of turkey intestinal mucous membranes are practically impervious to the penetration of hydrochloride, therefore, the drug has almost no toxic effect on their organisms, it belongs to the low-toxic group of drugs. Amprolium is widely used to treat other domestic animals, such as chickens, chickens and rabbits.
The main effect of the active component of the amprolium for turkeys is directed to the intestinal mucous membranes and up to 97% of this substance is excreted from the body of birds in a natural way with litter. Due to its compatibility with vitamin complexes and feed additives, turkey amprolium is widely used in agriculture.
Indications and effectiveness
Among the main diseases of poultry, in which the veterinarian recommends using an amprolium:
- pathogens with coccidiological etiology and some types of eimeria parasitizing in the intestine,
- parasitic worms of the cestode class,
- trematode diseases
- entomoses caused by insects.
The effectiveness of using amprolium for turkeys depends on several factors that affect the success of curing poultry, including:
- the effectiveness of the active substance is affected by the thermal regime and humidity indicators in the room where the turkey generation is kept,
- turkey conditions are associated with the effect of the drug on the body, including the quality of bedding material and the feed ration.
The types of infectious pathogens, the presence of associated (intercurrent) diseases, which complicate the course of the underlying disease, and the sensitivity of parasitic pathogens to the active substance of the drug, are also of great importance in the effectiveness of the action of hydrochloride active in the amprolium.
Means for prevention and treatment
Amprolium for turkeys, chickens, chickens and rabbits can be used both for treatment and for the purpose of prevention. The dosage and method of its use depend on the purpose of the drug.
The use of turkey amprolium with water is possible for two purposes:
- for the purpose of prevention, a medicinal product is used from the age of turkeys from three days throughout the entire development period until they reach the age of three to four months, while the daily normalized dose is not more than 0.3-0.35 kilograms of powder dissolved in 500-600 liters drinking water or a pure active substance of hydrochloride in a volume of 200-220 milligrams per liter of liquid,
- for medicinal purposes, for young animals of the same age, it is recommended to give an amprolium with a dosage of 0.4 kilograms of substance per 500 liters of fluid per day or 230-240 milligrams per 1 liter, the treatment period is 1 calendar week.
When treating turkeys and chickens with an amprolium using it as an additive to drinking water, the solution with the drug should be the main drink for the bird, without using clean water.
Feed with feed
The use of the drug Amprolium 25 as an additive to the feed ration is also possible in one of two possible directions:
- the daily dose for prevention is not more than 0.3 - 0.4 kilograms of the drug per 1 ton of feed, or based on up to 120-130 milligrams per 1 kg,
- daily dose for the treatment of turkey poults - up to 0.8 - 1.0 kilograms of the drug per 1 ton of food or up to 240 milligrams per kg, while the treatment period is from 7 to 10 days with the subsequent transition to preventive doses.
For adult birds, the dosage of amprolium for turkeys is 0.1 percent of the total diet.
Cases of contraindications and overdose
Among the contraindications for the use of amprolium hydrochloride in the prevention and treatment of turkeys, the instruction contains the following cases:
- young people reach 16 weeks of age,
- the laying period in laying hens, since the active substance also leaves the body of birds with the egg,
- simultaneous use of other anticoccidiotic drugs.
If you follow the instructions and adhere to the recommended dosages, side effects on bird organisms are excluded.
The prepared feed mixture with amrolium retains its active effect for seven days.
When using an amprolium for poultry, its slaughter is allowed no earlier than five days after the cessation of the drug delivery to turkeys. This time is enough for the remains of the active substance to leave the birds. In the event of forced slaughter of poultry during the treatment with the amprolium before the safe deadline, their meat is used to feed other animals or to the industrial production of flour.