Types of Oranges
In the markets and supermarkets of our country, you can see oranges Moroccan, Turkish, Spanish, Egyptian and citrus from Abkhazia. There are different types of oranges, the most popular are fruitful with sweet and large fruits. Some varieties are great for growing at home.
Types of Oranges
Varieties of oranges are divided according to two characteristics - the ripening speed and their characteristics.
According to the first classification, early, mid-early and late varieties of orange are distinguished. According to the second classification, the following varieties are distinguished:
- orange (light), ordinary (oval) and umbilical;
- red (peel).
Light oval orange species are characterized by light yellow seed fruits. Umbilical (brought) instead of seeds have a small fruit inside, because of which their top protrudes above the surface and looks like a navel.
The inner part of the pebble species of orange is red. Citruses are usually small, dense and sour.
Oval varieties are grown commercially on plantations in Spain and Morocco.
They are characterized by high productivity, good commercial qualities. Fruits are medium or large, most often they have a sweet and sour taste.
The most popular varieties of oranges:
- Gamlin - ripens quickly, has an even yellow peel, is well transported, and is stored for a long time; Suitable for growing in a room.
- Verna - late Spanish species, medium-sized fruits with a small number of seeds, have an elongated shape, sweet and juicy core;
- Salustiana is a popular species for industrial cultivation. The peel of spherical, slightly flattened fruits is yellow, easily separated from the sweet pulp.
The listed varieties of orange are suitable for the preparation of juices, jams, sauces, pralines, and raw consumption.
The branches of umbilical citrus trees are covered with thorns.
Citrus fruits with an umbilical outgrowth are usually large, dense orange peel. The taste of umbilical fruit is sweet with a slight acidity. The pulp and zest have a bright citrus aroma.
Umbilical varieties have a sweet taste
Types of umbilical oranges:
- Washington Pointed. Bright orange fruits of American origin, grow well in the Caucasus, are of great economic importance. The fruits are medium sized, sweet. Small seed grade is suitable for home growing.
- Pointed Late. Ripens late, fruits are stored for a long time, without losing external and internal qualities.
- Thomson Navel. Round oranges with large outgrowth, thin porous skin of light orange color. The pulp of oranges is fibrous and has little juice.
- Navelina. Small citruses ripen early, usually have an ovoid shape, an orange peel and loose flesh.
- Kara-Kara Pointed. A natural mutant of the Washington Navel variety, discovered in Venezuela. The pulp is pomegranate or ruby color, and the skin has a golden sheen. Taste is improved compared to the original variety.
- Bonanza According to the description of the variety, this is a short, later plant. Citruses are yellow-orange, sweet and sour in taste, covered with a rough peel.
- Valencia Export product, grown mainly in Spain. Oranges are thin-skinned, bright orange with red spots, the flesh is moderately juicy and sweet.
Umbilical oranges are consumed mostly fresh, and they are also ideal for making juices.
The anthocyanins, which are powerful antioxidants, give the blood-red color to the peel and pulp of citrus fruits. Red varieties came to us from Sicily, they are natural mutants of ordinary orange species.
The trees of bloody oranges are stunted, have an elongated crown. The fruits are usually small, round, slightly ribbed, the peel is thin and poorly separated from the fleshy core, ripen late. Oranges smell pleasant and have an unusual sweet and sour taste, contain few seeds.
The most popular varieties of bloody citrus fruits are Tarocco, Moro, Sanguinello. Moro has a bright smell with berry, raspberry notes. Growing varieties of Tarocco engaged in Italy. Citruses are juicy, contain an increased concentration of vitamin C.
Varieties for growing a house
Citrus lovers grow them on their own at home. Among oranges, the most popular are Marheulsky, Pavlovsky, Aranzio, variegated (variegated) varieties.
Marheuli citruses are a dwarf variety of Washington Navel. Low trees are covered with soft thorns, oval dark green leaves. The plant bears fruit regularly. According to the description, the fruits are heavy, bright orange, sweet in taste. Pavlovsky variety is also undersized, the best option for indoor cultivation. The fruits of this species are sweet, orange in color, medium in size.
Aranceia species has an unusual pinkish core, an increased content of the antioxidant lycopene. The plant, with proper care, bears fruit all year round. Variety Arantzio - variegated citrus.
Among oranges, there are endemic varieties that grow only in a certain area. These include African endemic - cherry orange. It gives small reddish fruits that taste like mandarin. This unique plant is used for food, medicines are prepared from it.
Hybrid Japanese Kumquat, Chinese Meyer Lemon are sold in supermarkets at a high price. Fruits are widely used in cooking. They grow a plant from seed at home.
Today, breeders all over the world do not stop developing new varieties of oranges. The fruits of the orange are tasty and juicy, and the flowering of the tree gives an aesthetic pleasure.