Temperature regime for sheltering grapes
Grapes are a thermophilic culture, the qualitative characteristics of which are significantly reduced under the influence of negative environmental conditions. The temperature of the shelter of the grapes during the preparation of the plant for wintering should remain within 5 ° C.
Temperature regime for sheltering grapes
To protect the vine and root system, the shelter is carried out in October. It is important not to wait for the first frosts, a gentle vine under the influence of the cold loses its flexibility and soon breaks, thereby causing the death of the plant.
The temperature of the shelter of grapes for the winter directly depends on the characteristics of the variety. In the presence of non-frost resistant varieties, it is advisable to start the procedure at the end of September.
Frost-resistant grapes are sheltered at temperatures below 0 ° C, before the first snow falls. This is explained by the fact that a snow layer that has fallen on the protective coating will maintain the temperature inside the greenhouse, which is necessary to prevent freezing of the roots.
To cover the tree in the fall, remove all the fruits if they remain after the assembly work. Then proceed to pruning the grapes. When forming the crown for wintering, get rid of unripened, dry shoots and weeds. Next, remove it from the trellis, twisting a long vine and tying it with twine. To reduce the risk of rot, treat the plant with a solution of copper sulfate.
A few days before sheltering the culture for the winter, water the plantings abundantly - moist soil will withstand the cold due to the evaporation of water, which will warm the root system for some time.
This method is the most common among summer residents.
- dig grooves along the shoots with a depth of 20 cm: to make deep ditches is not necessary, earthen embankments will be enough;
- gently lay the branches in a ditch and cover them with earth;
- the height of the soil should not exceed 40 cm: if the height is below the optimum value, the eyes will freeze over the winter.
Burlap useful for wrapping vines
With the intention of preventing erosion of the soil embankment, gardeners use slate, an inexpensive material used to warm plantings.
Cover the vine in bundles with dry foliage, hay or wrap it in burlap. On top of the protective layer, install slate plates with a house. To prevent the slate slabs from falling, secure them with stones or bricks, if desired, fix the material with earth embankments.
Shelter of grapes with wooden shields
Using wooden shields in gardening is somewhat more difficult than the methods described above. You yourself have to put together shields from wooden boards or boxes.
The outer side is covered with roofing material (hammer or simply cover from above, after installation of the structure). By choosing constructions of this type, you provide your garden with reliable shelter for many years.
Before installing the shields, perform the initial preparation of the plant by wrapping its branches in burlap or strewn with earth.
Do not forget to protect the ends of the structure from strong winds. For this, plywood or the remains of roofing material are perfect.
Shelter of grapes with a film
The design with the film is identical in its properties to greenhouses. Along neatly folded shoots, place wire arcs and pull the film over them. It is possible to fix it with stones or special weights. Before you tighten the plant with a film, apply plenty of organic fertilizer over the branches.
It is important to leave cracks, otherwise the plant will mash and begin to rot, which is equal to the death of a grape tree.
The vine, laid out on the ground, attracts rodents and pests, so protection from external destructive factors is an important component of wintering. The grapes can withstand all winter, if you follow the necessary rules regarding plant protection.
- Set mechanical traps around the perimeter of the garden to catch rodents. As a trap, plastic bottles with a volume of 5 liters can act as traps in which you need to put a little cotton wool moistened with sunflower oil.
- Spray or apply chemicals: Difenacin, Brodifacum, Flocumafen.
- Repellers are one of the most humane ways to control pests. Place around the garden perimeter containers with a substance whose pungent odor will scare away rodents: naphthalene, kerosene, Vishnevsky ointment.
Improper shelter leads to the death of a young plant. Common mistakes in gardening and how to solve them:
- In the process of creating a shelter, they dig up earthen cover from under the root system of the grape tree - this is the cause of freezing of the roots and the absence of fruits in subsequent seasons. The soil necessary for the whip can only be taken on a free site, but it is better to purchase separately.
- Weak fixation of the covering material. Sharp gusts of cold wind will leave the vine defenseless and worsen its health. To securely fasten the structure, mark the iron sides, which will act as an obstacle to the wind and heavy snowfall.
- Non-compliance with the temperature regime. Forgetful gardeners are faced with freezing of roots and vines, so remember that grapes for the winter should be covered at a temperature of at least 0 ° C and before night frost.
- The lack of treatment leads to the active reproduction of bacteria and insects under a covering film.
Now you know at what temperature to cover the grapes for the winter. Creating a shelter is a painstaking process, the health and fruiting in the summer depend on the correctness of its implementation. Having correctly completed all these recommendations, the plant withstands the most severe frosts.