Symptoms and methods of treating worms in chickens
Worms in chickens are a fairly common problem. Many consider this disease harmless, because it rarely leads to death. However, it is far from safe, therefore, if worms were found in farm chickens, treatment should be started immediately, without putting it into a distant box. Infection with worms can easily be confused with signs of a lack of vitamins, which is why it is so important to know how to recognize helminthiasis and how it can be cured.
Symptoms of the disease
Worms in laying hens are small parasites that affect the gastrointestinal tract and other internal organs of the carrier. The problem is that eggs are also susceptible to infection, and therefore worms in broilers are dangerous for humans.
Many farmers may wonder which worms are most common in domestic chickens, which form of infestation is more dangerous, and how infection can be recognized.
The most common varieties of worms in chickens are roundworms and heterekis. Roundworms, parasitizing in the intestines, look like thin worms, are up to 12 cm long and are the causative agent of such a disease as ascariasis. If the chicken is infected, the egg of her egg also contains an infection.
Heterokidoses, in turn, are located in the cecum of the bird, their sizes are much smaller than in the first species: up to 1.5 cm. They can enter the soil and food of birds from guano, into the human body through a raw egg.
External signs of infection with worms in chickens
To understand that the chicken is infected with worms is not difficult. Farmers can determine helminthiasis in the first stage by the fact that the chicken has no appetite, there are signs of vitamin deficiency, and the general condition does not change for the better. As soon as the first symptoms of the disease become noticeable, it is important to immediately begin treatment: give a medicine, drink feathered preparations for helminthic invasion.
Lack of proper treatment will adversely affect the protective functions of the chicken body, which will significantly increase the risk of infection with dangerous viral diseases. In a situation where the number of parasites reaches a critical point, a bowel rupture occurs, the result is a fatal outcome.
In order to diagnose the chicken with maximum accuracy and prescribe the necessary course of treatment, you should contact specialists for laboratory studies of poultry. If there is no possibility to implement it, it will be enough to pay attention to the following symptoms of helminthiasis:
- unexpectedly reduced carcass weight;
- the level of egg production and the quality of the products are significantly reduced: the egg is small, the shell seems soft and damaged, laying hens give few eggs;
- liquid droppings and dark spots around the anus, the egg comes out with blood;
- the color of the scallop tarnishes;
- heavier breathing of hens;
- chickens look sick, lethargy and lack of appetite are observed, they can fall on legs.
Since infection occurs not only in the chicken body itself, but also in the eggs, their appearance should also be paid attention to. The main sign is a fragile shell. You should refuse to eat such products. The infection is visible with the naked eye, therefore, to establish a diagnosis there is no urgent need to contact the laboratory for analysis.
Reasons for the appearance and methods of infection
There are frequent cases when the poultryman himself causes the infection, introducing parasites on street shoes. Significantly reduced the risk of infection in those cases when the chicken is contained in the cells. If the poultry diet consists mainly of animal food, the likelihood of developing helminthic invasion also increases significantly.
Also, do not keep chickens with adults. In order to avoid the defeat of young animals, you should walk the birds away from laying hens. Helps to avoid infection and prevention by special means.
Worm infection routes
Where do the feathered parasites come from? Infection of chickens with worms occurs exclusively under favorable conditions for them, which include the following:
- the ground in the chicken coop is mostly wet;
- flooring in the room changes only occasionally;
- contaminated water, feed inadequate quality standards;
- the presence of snails, earthworms, because it is in them that parasites are usually present;
- the presence of mice, rats, wild birds, which are carriers of various diseases;
- buying already infected birds, because the disease is spreading at an unprecedented rate.
In order to prevent general infection of the entire poultry yard, prophylaxis with folk remedies should be carried out before the new individuals are introduced. Garlic and wormwood will have a destructive effect on parasites and will give the necessary preventive effect.
You can solder with a decoction of wormwood both grown up chickens and very young ones, whose age is less than a month, but it is better to use pharmacy remedies for worms: here, folk methods can only do harm. Before giving the drug to the chicks, it is tested on a couple of adults.
The danger of helminths in chicken meat for humans
Many poultry farmers wonder if it is possible to eat chickens with worms. The answer is quite simple and obvious - no, you can’t eat such meat. This is justified by the fact that the larvae and adults found in chicken are transmitted to the person who uses them.
Already developed chicken parasites will not be able to continue their activity in the human body, however, the larvae are able to spread through the body using blood. Ascaridosis poses the greatest danger to humans; simple heat treatment does not destroy it. What the parasite looks like, you can look at the photo by driving a corresponding request into the string of any search engine.
Parasites in meat - a danger that lies in wait for everyone who cooks it incorrectly. It is for this reason that it is very important to bring the product to high heat treatment.
Treatment of helminthiasis in birds
After the diagnosis is established, it is important to start treatment on time, to peel all the birds, for this, garlic is most often used. The most effective will be the use of veterinary medicines. In their composition, anthelminthic substances predominate, destroying adult parasitic worms and their larvae. Here is a list of medications that are most popular due to their effectiveness in the fight against the disease:
- Flubenveta. This drug with amazing effectiveness is fighting the disease. This medicine destroys all possible types of worms in chickens and their larvae. During use, it is important to follow the rules of use, follow the dosage specified in the instructions. In specialized pharmacies, it is presented to the buyer in the form of 1% or 1.5% powder. An analog of this tool - Alben has contraindications and is not suitable for broilers.
- Levomizole Plus. Also included in the list of drugs with high efficiency. To get rid of parasitic worms, it is diluted in water in the recommended proportions. Despite the fact that this is an imported medicine, it belongs to affordable means.
- Piperazine. It is the most common drug, because it is used for the prevention and treatment of helminthiasis not only in laying hens, but also in other domestic animals. The tablets are crushed and added to water. Such a mixture is recommended to water not only large chickens, but also day-old chickens upon detection of the slightest suspicion of infection.
- Pyrantel suspension. It is also popular with people breeding birds. The course of treatment is carried out in several stages with breaks per week, will help to remove all types of helminths. If you have used this medication to treat broilers, it is not recommended that their meat be included in your daily diet for 60 days to fully restore the bird. Chicken eggs can be included in food after 5 days from the end of the panacea.
In most cases, treatment of poultry for helminths occurs without negative consequences, but only on condition that it has been carried out on time and properly.
Within a couple of months, the bird's body is fully restored, but it is best to simply prevent infection, using certain methods of prevention. Folk remedies not only treat, but also prevent helminthic invasion of birds. Grated garlic in a liquid mash is the best prevention.
Prevention of helminthic invasion in birds
Many poultry farmers with extensive experience recommend replenishing the chicken diet with products such as pumpkin seeds, onions, garlic, lingonberries, broth with rose hips and walnuts. These food additives are crushed and added to worm feed or chicken water.
Significantly reduce the risks of infection will help compliance with preventive measures. After acquiring new individuals, it is necessary to systematically organize quarantine, add anthelmintic drugs to food, and adhere to hygiene standards in the chicken coop, namely:
- observe cleanliness in the room, systematically do cleaning;
- change shoes before entering the chicken coop;
- make a concrete floor for the subsequent simplification of the disinfection process;
- to cut plants in places of walking birds.
Such methods of prevention will not only reduce the likelihood of infection, but also strengthen the ability of the body of domestic winged animals to resist infectious diseases and improve their overall health.
Garlic can be added directly to dry food, but it’s better to make a liquid mix. It is recommended to do such a mash once a month, this will help to remove the parasite and prevent infection.
Helminthiasis in broilers is one of the most common diseases, many farmers consider this disease harmless, therefore they do not pay due attention to treating birds, but this is not at all right. Giving a cure for worms at the slightest suspicion of infection is the only right strategy. Sometimes, to relieve symptoms, laying hens are given folk decoctions, the effectiveness of which is very doubtful. It is better to consult a veterinarian, and if you give such funds, then only in conjunction with medical treatment.
It is important to remember that preventing the disease is much easier than curing, and therefore should be regularly prevented: it is the key to the well-being of the farm.
Cases are quite common when the presence of chicken worms in the body led to death, which is why it is very important to pay attention to the state of birds and monitor the slightest changes in their behavior or appearance.