Shelf life of frozen mushrooms in the freezer.
Everyone wants to keep fragrant and tasty mushrooms for a long time. If preservation is not included in your plans, and you need to keep the product fresh, you can use freezing. Mushrooms can be frozen, but storing frozen mushrooms has some features that should be observed.
Shelf life of frozen mushrooms in the freezer.
How to freeze fresh mushrooms
The simplest is freezing fresh mushrooms in the freezer chamber. A similar process does not require additional manipulations and a lot of time:
- Choose as fresh as possible: its further state after defrosting depends on the freshness of the product.
- Choose small young mushrooms with a tight and dense structure.
- Thoroughly clean mushrooms from the ground, leaves and unwanted films.
- Wrap the cladding board with cling film, put the mushrooms at a small distance from each other, but so that they do not touch and send to the freezer for a couple of hours.
- After this time, gently pour the frozen product into prepared clean bags, preferably with a zip lock, and send back to the freezer.
If the mushrooms are large enough, they can be cut into large pieces.
Fresh mushrooms can be stored in their original fresh form in the freezer for no more than one year - at a stable temperature regime of the freezer.
How to freeze boiled or fried mushrooms
Boiled forest mushrooms are also easy to freeze, but this process requires a little more time than freezing a fresh product:
- Pre-boil water.
- While the liquid boils, peel the mushrooms, remove all litter, earth and films. Dip the product in boiling water and cook for no more than 5 minutes.
- After cooking, put the mushrooms in a colander or sieve and allow the liquid to drain completely.
- When they have cooled, lay out in portions on prepared bags or special containers and send the semi-finished product to the freezer.
Fried mushrooms are frozen according to a similar principle:
- Clean and thoroughly wash the product.
- Cut into small plates and fry in vegetable oil or fat with onions or in pure form.
- It’s worth frying until the liquid has completely evaporated: it will take no more than a quarter of an hour.
- After frying, cool and put into bags and send for storage in the freezer.
Stewed or baked mushrooms are frozen according to a similar scheme: cleaning, cooking process, cooling, freezing.
Using any of these methods, frozen mushrooms can be stored from 1 year to 1.5 years.
Mushrooms need to be defrosted in the refrigerator
Frozen mushrooms may become unusable after defrosting, if you do not take into account some rules.
In order for the mushrooms to remain elastic, fragrant and tasty, it is worth considering the following nuances:
- thorough cleaning before freezing;
- complete evaporation of the liquid during cooking;
- obligatory room temperature of the heat-treated product before being placed in the freezer - hot mushrooms form condensation, which will lead to the appearance of ice crystals on the surface of the fungi;
- defrosting the product exclusively in the refrigerator (to prevent loss of elasticity).
It is better to store in portions so that you can use it to create one dish.
Irina Selyutina (Biologist):
- When storing in bags, arrange the mushrooms in such a way that they produce different weight packages (for a holiday it is more convenient to unfreeze one more than a whole mountain of small ones).
- So that when frying before freezing, the mushrooms do not lose their aroma and taste - fry them in the oven.
- Boiling before freezing is perfect for those mushrooms that, from your point of view, have somewhat lost their appearance, but they are very tasty and the hand does not rise.
Do not re-freeze the product or send it back to the freezer. This will affect not only the quality of the product, but also the aroma and proper taste. Therefore, try to decompose the workpieces in small, disposable portions.
How much can be stored in the freezer
So, you can store frozen mushrooms in the freezer for a little over a year, but in order to fully enjoy the taste and smell of natural forest mushrooms, it is recommended to use them for 6 months.
Keep frozen mushrooms at a stable temperature of -18 ° C. Lower temperatures are undesirable and can ruin the texture and appearance of the finished product.
The taste, appearance and elasticity of thawed fungi depends not only on the correctness of the freezing and storage process, but also on which varieties were used for this purpose. The best option for winter harvesting of mushrooms will be mushrooms, fragrant foxes, forest mushrooms, boletus, tender boletus and boletus. The remaining species are best left for conservation or drying.
Knowing all the intricacies of storage and proper preparation for freezing, you can get the perfect, aromatic and tasty addition to any dish. An ice cream product can be used for unsweetened pastries, added to baked vegetables, stews, supplemented with soups, pickle, borsch, yushka, stew or soup with this ingredient.