Rules for storing carrots in winter
Carrots are one of the most commonly used root vegetables in cooking. After the harvest, the question arises about its storage. There are many ways to store carrots in an apartment and in special rooms: cellars and vaults.
Rules for storing carrots in winter
Preparation of carrots for storage directly affects the period and quality of preservation of the root crop. Vegetable preparation rules:
- choose healthy roots that are not affected by mold or rot;
- crop the entire tops, leaving 1-2 mm;
- wash the vegetable from dirt and earth;
- dry the remaining moisture;
- sort fruits by size.
Such vegetables are suitable for long-term storage. If some formations have grown on them or they have sprouted, they are not advised to keep them for a long time. To reduce efforts to prepare the root crop, harvesting is carried out on a dry day.
Storage in the apartment
Storage of carrots is more difficult than beets, because elongated fruits deteriorate faster than round ones. If there are no special rooms for this procedure, try storing the vegetable in the apartment. To do this, you need a room:
- Limited from household processes to store carrots at a temperature of -1 ° C to 2 ° C.
- Other vegetables and fruits are not placed in the same room.
- Humidity 90% -95%.
- Lack of ventilation system. The air should hardly come into the vegetable.
It is difficult to create such conditions in the apartment. This method is possible on a glazed balcony or loggia.
You can store the root crop at home in the refrigerator, but you can’t get large quantities of vegetables for the winter:
- prepare plastic bags (bags);
- Packed 2-3 root vegetables in one package;
- Before refrigerating, the fruit is cooled throughout the day.
Carrots are prepared for storage at home
If you do not pre-cool and remove moisture, condensation forms and the fruit rots.
In the freezer, stored peeled grated or chopped carrots with cubes or balls. Before this, trim the skin and wash. When frozen, the vegetable does not lose its beneficial properties, it will also speed up the preparation of dishes. Defrost grated root crops at room temperature.
Keeping carrots in the apartment is not an easy task. So that it does not become flabby and does not rot, it is necessary to create optimal climatic conditions for the fruits.
You can save carrots in the cellars in winter. They are prepared for storage in the same way as for home conditions.
The cellar must be isolated from groundwater, insulated, well ventilated. The optimum temperature should not fall below 5 ° C. Before placing a new batch of vegetables, you need to clean the remains of the entire previous crop.
Keeping carrots for the winter in a box is an affordable way for many people. Before this, the tree is well disinfected, looked for damage and rot. The method is as follows:
- The fruits are stacked tightly in boxes of wood or cardboard.
- They are placed 10-15 cm from the wall.
- Use the tin box so that the boxes are not damp from the floor or walls.
- No more than 20 kg of fetus are placed in one box.
This technology is compact and allows you to harvest a lot of vegetables. It is allowed to use wood sawdust for pouring fruit.
Convenient storage in drawers
This is not the most effective way to keep the fruit intact until spring. However, it has advantages: to store cheaply, packaging does not require much time.
Fruits are stored in plastic bags or cling film (it needs to be folded in several layers). They are laid out on shelves or wooden supports. Holes are made in the film through which moisture flows and air enters. If this is done poorly, the risk of decay of the fruit increases. Incorrect storage temperature will also negatively affect.
In bags with onion husks
Also store fruits in bags. They are sprinkled with onion husks. It absorbs excess moisture and prevents microorganisms from multiplying, which lead to decay. Air is removed from the bags and stored in basements or cellars.
With coniferous sawdust
Until the spring, the crop, sprinkled with sawdust of coniferous trees, will stand idle - they absorb moisture, phenolic substances in the composition kill harmful bacteria.
Sawdust is poured on shelves in the cellar. You can not store fruits on sawdust scattered on the floor of the cellar. They rot quickly.
This technology is suitable for a large cellar. Storage of carrots in the sand is as follows:
- Pour a lot of sand onto the floor. It should be clean, slightly moist.
- On it lay the fruit at a distance from each other.
- Again sprinkled with a ball of sand.
- The next row is laid out in a checkerboard pattern.
Fruits should not touch each other. Long standing sand is moistened from time to time, and it is advisable to sanitize and calcine it before use in the cellar.
Wet sand and chalk
This method will require chalk powder. It is mixed in sand and placed in a wooden box. Fruits are stuck vertically, with a thick end up and sprinkled on top. Black spots of rot do not appear, because chalk has antifungal properties (creates an alkaline environment). Also, carrots do not fade, but remain juicy and tasty.
Cretaceous solution prevents diseases and rot of fruits. There are two ways to process the vegetable with chalk for the cellar:
- Make a chalk solution with water. Each fruit is processed in a solution, dried and cleaned in the cellar. Rinse vegetables before use.
- Sprinkle the vegetable with chalk powder: 200 g of chalk per 10 kg of carrots.
These methods of storing carrots for the winter are relatively easy to use and do not require significant effort and money.
For a basement, treating carrots with clay before storing it is one of the most effective ways to preserve the vegetable for longer. This requires the purchase or excavation of clay. Follow these steps:
- Dilute water with clay in a bucket until smooth. The mass must be fluid and sticky.
- Dip each fruit into clay.
- Leave to dry until the clay solidifies.
After drying, dip the vegetables in the cellar. For convenience, put them in boxes or in baskets, so the vegetable will last longer.
Estimated Shelf Life
- up to 2 months in plastic bags (in the refrigerator);
- up to a year in the clay shell in the cellar;
- up to 8 months in the sand in the cellar;
- up to a year in coniferous sawdust;
- up to 8 months in closed boxes.
A selection of suitable varieties will also help preserve salad carrots for the winter. Among them are Moscow Winter, Nantes and Shantane. These varieties are sometimes left to winter in the ground.
Storage methods for carrots in winter are different. Depending on how long you need to store fresh carrots and the availability of space, it is easy to choose the best one. It is important to observe the storage temperature of carrots, humidity and ventilation. It is most effective to keep the vegetable in clay and coniferous sawdust.