Rules for storing carrots in the refrigerator
After harvesting, carrots need to be stored somewhere. A large number of vegetables are usually stacked in cellars in private homes or on balconies in apartments. But if the crop is small, it is realistic to store carrots in the refrigerator. It has optimal conditions for vegetables to maintain their qualities. To do this, it is important to follow certain rules.
Rules for storing carrots in the refrigerator
Preparing carrots for storage
In order for the carrots to be stored for a long time, it must be properly collected from the garden and prepared for storage. The fruits are harvested in warm and dry weather. The most suitable time for harvesting is September. Some varieties are late-ripening and frost-resistant. Such a crop is usually harvested from mid-October.
An important role is played by the extraction of young carrots from the ground. In order not to damage it, the earth is loosened and the fruits are carefully dug up with a suitable tool. To do this, it is better to use forks with blunt ends. After digging up the carrots, it must be dried, otherwise there is a likelihood of rot or disease. Dry and warm weather will reduce the drying time to several hours, and the crop harvested in rainy weather will have to be dried from 1 to 3 days.
After drying, the carrots are cleaned from the ground and the tops are cut off, leaving only a few millimeters of its base at the end of the fruit. Try not to damage the vegetables so as not to rot them.
For storage choose whole root crops. Damaged vegetables are not stored for long: they quickly begin to rot. They try to eat such carrots more quickly.
Features of storing carrots in the refrigerator
You can store in the refrigerator and in the freezer
Carrots, like beets, should be stored in suitable home conditions so that it does not wither, does not become flabby, does not rot and does not sprout. In an apartment in the winter, the owners usually take it out onto the balcony, because there the air temperature is lower than in the living room, and the humidity level, on the contrary, is higher.
There are other options for the content: to dry or freeze the fruit. In order for this vegetable to retain taste and commercial qualities, carrots should be properly stored in the refrigerator. Subject to all storage conditions, it can not deteriorate for 2 months or even until the summer.
In order to maximize the shelf life of carrots in the refrigerator, and the fruits themselves retain their characteristics, a number of rules are followed:
- You can not wash the fruits, because after that they are not stored for long. The washed carrots must be dried.
- Uncleaned carrots also require drying. Be sure to look at all the fruits and take away the damaged ones or those that begin to rot. You can not store spoiled fruits with healthy ones, because the disease spreads rapidly.
- Carrots are stored in special plastic containers for vegetables and fruits, which are in all refrigerators, or on shelves near the freezer.
- If cellophane bags or plastic wrap were used for saving, the fruits are tightly placed there and hermetically sealed so that there is no air in the bag or film. In this state, carrots can lie all winter.
Some housewives clean root vegetables before putting them in bags. But peeled carrots are stored less unpeeled. Over time, it darkens.
Low temperature in the freezer will maintain the quality characteristics of root crops. Even peeled carrots will not deteriorate.
The big minus of this storage option is that at low temperatures vegetables lose their natural taste and become less healthy. 65-80% of microelements disappear in them. Nevertheless, they can be stored frozen for a whole year.
To accommodate more root crops in the freezer, it is better to cut them into pieces and pack them in airtight bags. Before this, be sure to peel: this will save time on cooking.
Storing carrots in the refrigerator in plastic bags is a simple and reliable option. If root crops are packed according to requirements, without loss of characteristics they are able to lie for 2-3 weeks. However, there is no guarantee that they will not deteriorate ahead of time.
From time to time, the condition of the fruit is checked, spoiled ones are selected and the packet is carefully tied again.
The packages are tied so that they do not enter the air. It is better to choose a sealed container or stick tape with tape. So carrots will keep freshness and healthy qualities.
Optimal varieties of carrots for storage
Almost all varieties of carrots are suitable for saving root vegetables in the refrigerator. But there are also ones that can be stored much longer:
- Moscow winter belongs to mid-season varieties. It has a pleasant sweet taste, it is resistant to temperature changes and rot, has good keeping quality, which makes it one of the best varieties of carrots for long-term storage. This type of culture easily tolerates winter and can be stored in the refrigerator for more than a month.
- The Nantes variety is precocious. Its root vegetables are tasty, fragrant and juicy. In the early stages of sowing, they are well stored until mid-winter. When planted in winter, fresh carrots can store their qualities for a long time.
- Chantane carrot variety also has suitable characteristics for refrigerated storage. Root crops are large, fragrant, have a sweetish flavor. They are resistant to disease, do not bloom and do not crack. They have good keeping quality: they can be stored for up to 10 months under the right conditions.
If you do not adhere to the basic rules for preparing and storing carrots in the refrigerator, even strong varieties will not be able to lie for long.
Poorly stored and purchased vegetables treated with chemicals.
In order for the carrots to be stored in the refrigerator for a long time and not flabby, first of all, it is necessary to collect the crop on time, then - prepare it and put it in accordance with the requirements. Various factors affect the duration of storage, including the variety of carrots.