Rules for sowing petunias for seedlings in 2019
Petunia is a popular flower that came to us from South America. It tolerates heat and drought, but does not differ in love for frost. It is planted not only in garden plots, but also in balcony flower beds. In order for flowers to please their beauty, sowing petunias for seedlings in 2019 should be performed at the appropriate time.
Rules for sowing petunias for seedlings in 2019
Sowing on the lunar calendar
A flower can be planted for almost the entire year. But usually they begin to plant from January to early March, so that in late spring they will already receive seedlings.
I determine the most suitable days for the landing of Petunia in 2019 using the lunar calendar.
Favorable and unfavorable dates are determined in accordance with the lunar phases and the location of the moon in different zodiacs.
Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces - are characterized by the highest fertility, therefore, when a satellite is in any of these signs, the probability of a successful seeding increases significantly.
Signs with medium fertility: Taurus, Libra, Sagittarius and Capricorn.
It is not recommended to sow seeds if the Moon is in Virgo, Aries, Leo, Gemini and Aquarius.
The most suitable period for sowing will be the period of the growing moon: the seeds take root well in the soil and develop normally.
The full moon and new moon are not suitable for planting in general. They do not contribute to the good development and growth of plants.
The waning moon is also not a very favorable time. At this time, it is recommended to plant root crops.
When to sow petunia for seedlings in 2019:
- January: 10th, 11th, 15th, 16th, 19th and 20th.
- February: 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 24.
- March: 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, and 26.
- April: 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, and 25.
- May: 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 25.
- June: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 23, 24, 25.
- July: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 22, 23, and 24.
- August: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, 23.
September usually becomes the last month when sowing is still in progress. In 2019, the best time will be: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, 23.
According to the lunar calendar, in 2019 it is not recommended to sow seeds:
- January: 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, 21, 23, and 28.
- February: 5th, 19th and 20th.
- March: 6, 21 and 22.
- Prel: 4, 5.19 and 20.
- May: 5, 19 and 20.
- June: 3, 18.
- July: 1, 2, and 17.
- August: 1, 29 and 30.
- September: 14, 15, 27 and 28.
Sowing in different regions
It blooms almost the entire season
Petunia is afraid of sharp drops in temperature, even if they are short-term, therefore, when choosing a time for planting seeds, they are guided by the climatic characteristics of the region.
- The best period for sowing in the Urals and Siberia is the first half of March. These regions are quite cold. For this reason, earlier procedures will provoke overgrowth of seedlings due to longer growth in the greenhouse.
- In the Volga region, the landing begins earlier - in February, but it should be completed by mid-March.
- For the Midland region, the first half of January is the most suitable time for sowing.
- In the Southern region, sowing is carried out at any time, but it is recommended that such work be carried out in the first January days.
Different varieties of Petunia and have their own landing dates. This factor must be taken into account, otherwise the plant can not only not bloom, but also not grow at all.
Sow ampelous petunia is recommended in the last days of January and until the middle of next month, but no later. Then she will have time to grow long shoots that contribute to the appearance of more flowers. They are planted in pots to decorate balconies or arbors.
For a dwarf variety, try to choose the following dates: the last February days and the first days of March. At this time, it is not so cold, so they develop and grow pretty well. Such flowers have an increased sensitivity to light.
Shrub variety is best sown in the first half of March. This species is especially cold resistant ..
Multiflowered are resistant to changes in the weather, but with the onset of cold weather they will also need to create the most comfortable conditions with a sufficient level of heat. They are allowed to land from the end of January.
May sowing for flowering
In order for the plant to bloom in May, in greenhouses it must be planted from the end of January until the first days of the next month.
In this case, more attention should be paid to the climate of the area, and not to the characteristics of the variety. In cold regions, it is better to wait until the last days of winter.
In the north and central - you will need to create certain conditions. It’s unlikely that you can grow good flowers without phytolamps. If there is not enough light, the petunia will begin to stretch.
Petunia takes root well
It is not difficult to grow seedlings, because the flower is not too whimsical.
Before planting seeds for seedlings, you need to do soil preparation. It should be fertile, loose and sufficiently moist.
You can apply the already prepared soil, but a little sand is added to it (1: 6).
You can also prepare the mixture yourself: mix humus, sand and peat in equal proportions.
The place where the flower will be grown should be well lit. The optimum temperature is 20-25 ° C. When these conditions are achieved, the flower is allowed to plant in the soil.
Landing is performed as follows:
- pre-prepared soil is placed in a bowl;
- by tapping its upper part is leveled;
- on the surface it is necessary to lay out a small layer of snow (1-1.5 cm);
- lay the seeds of petunia on the snow and evenly distribute it: it is better to pour them on paper, and already from it - on snow;
- with deep sinking of the seeds, you can slightly loosen the snow with a toothpick;
- as soon as the snow melts, the seeds themselves will be pulled into the soil effortlessly;
- sprinkle them with soil is not necessary, because this flower grows only in the light;
- the cup should be located in a fairly warm place: you can create it by placing the cup under the glass and placing it on top of the lamp.
The first shoots should appear after 7 days. At least once a day during this time it needs to be aired.
Pay attention to the density of seedlings: if there are thickened places, use tweezers to thin out them a little.
Watering and lighting
Lighting in the first 3 days should be continuous.
When the leaves of the flower begin to reach the glass, it must be removed and make sure that there is always enough moisture in the soil.
Watering is carried out not only under the roots, but also from the pallet. The main thing is not to overdry and prevent the appearance of droplets on the sheets. This can lead to the death of the flower.
Those varieties of petunias that grow long shoots will need to be pinched. They make it when the leaves reach 5-7 cm - as a result, each sinus of the leaf becomes a place of growth of a new shoot, and flowering increases.
Fertilizers must be applied 2 weeks after the pick. It is better to start with liquid fertilizer, which is applied 2 times for 10 days.
Mineral top dressing with a small amount of nitrogen necessarily alternates with substances to stimulate growth. The procedure is carried out no more than 3 times.
Outdoor Transplant Time
To plant petunia shoots in open ground, you can start when 2-3 sprouts appear on the sprouts.
It usually takes about 3 weeks from the day of disembarkation to this point. It is important that the spring frosts are already completely over by then. The best time for this is April-May, but you can plant before.
Much will depend on when the flowers were planted and on weather conditions. A transplant is recommended on a cloudy day. Moreover, if the roots are too long, it is allowed to pinch them a little.