Rules for breeding rabbits in the pit
Breeding rabbits in the pit is a good choice for farmers whose pets have become weak and inactive. It is believed that in order to restore the balance of natural forces and the subsequent improvement of animal health, it is possible to place in a pit closest to nature. Moreover, the creation and arrangement of the pit is necessary for the person to do. How will rabbits behave in a pit? Is breeding rabbits popular in pits? Read about this and much more in the article below.
Breeding rabbits in the pit
How to make a pit
Keeping rabbits in the pit should be carried out according to all the rules, which you need to begin to follow when choosing a specific place. It is very important that the site is not located below the water level or in a place with a high occurrence of water. It should be remembered that rabbits are constantly engaged in deepening holes, because the water level from the surface should reach more than 5 m. Breeding rabbits in clay pits will be the best choice. Such a pit for rabbits would be an ideal option.
After the pit has been dug, and the lack of groundwater has been proved, it is necessary to proceed to the next steps. The first of them is the beginning of the arrangement of the pit with your own hands. It is correct to dig a hole up to 2 m deep and 3 x 3 in size. Construction begins only in a place where flat walls predominate, there are no terraces and other formations. For upholstery, a bayonet shovel is suitable. To prevent the rabbits from escaping from the pit, you need to cover the bottom with straw at the level of 20 cm.
The construction of a pit for rabbits is not an extremely difficult task, and even drawings are not needed to tear it out. In numerous photos you can see an example of an ordinary hole. To improve the home, you can try to wall the room or overlay it with slate. Such measures can prevent sudden collapse and stop the spontaneous and uncontrolled digging of burrows on all sides. The correct pit must contain one unclosed wall to indicate the entrance with a shovel on it, the remaining actions will be performed by rabbits.
To outline the mink, one should take into account the possible raising of the bottom. It is better to build a hole with an extension of the entrance, in order to prevent crush and collisions in cases of fright and emergency evacuations.
The nuances of the arrangement
As experience proves, it is the female who is responsible for digging burrows, the length of which sometimes reaches more than two tens of meters. To make it easier to catch rabbits, the pit should contain a valve or an inlet damper. One should not be afraid that the burrow leads the rabbits to the surface: the slope is either horizontal or falling down. The same applies to the myth that keeping rabbits in pits can worsen the condition of a garden plot and harm certain plants. According to experienced rabbit breeders, such cases were not observed. A hole deeper than a meter will help prevent holes from entering the surface.
Breeding rabbits in pits is a whole art, therefore it is necessary to follow the recommendations of professionals.
- It is required to deal with the arrangement of the bottom of the pit to eliminate unpleasant odors. You can try to use a grid or slats for this. If possible, you need to change the straw in the house and arrange a garbage container there.
- It is necessary to place feeders and drinking bowls near one wall. To determine their number, they are guided by the number of rabbits in order to avoid crowding. In order to choose a height, it is important to focus on small rabbits. Animals must have constant free access to food and water, regardless of the circumstances.
- It is necessary to fence off pets from other domestic and wild animals with the help of a fence. Breeding and keeping rabbits will be more comfortable if you make a roof or canopy over the pit.
Putting rabbits in a pit
After the construction technology is followed, you can begin to populate the new residence with rabbits. On average, the described hole can accommodate up to 100 goals, however, in order to avoid aggression, it is necessary to run animals in turn. It is settlement that is considered the most critical stage. There are several options for placing pets in a pit.
- Place about 30 individuals so that they grow stronger and adapt to a new lifestyle, and then run the rest of the animals to join in the work. In the absence of digging skills, it is better to leave the rabbits for meat, as they will not be able to start digging. This is due to over adaptation to life at home and the loss of basic natural instincts. Fortunately, such cases are rare.
- Settle only young animals up to six months old. The breed does not matter, however, it is better to leave adults and large individuals in cellular conditions. There are also rabbits who have lost their instincts for digging, who expel their comrades and occupy their place of residence. If possible, you can put rabbits from other holes in the pit.
Growing in such conditions requires only a few days of attention from the owner of the pets, during which you need to carefully and carefully monitor the rabbits. Do not be afraid of the initial brawls and aggression: this is due to the division of the territory and will stop after a short period of time. Those individuals whose animal instinct is completely absent should be taught to dig holes in the right directions on their own. To do this, make a shovel several recesses. Inexperienced rabbits, following an example, will begin to gradually expand their housing. About what breeding of rabbits in an ordinary pit is, you can see in one of the special videos about the life of pets. A detailed action plan can simplify the task of arranging a new home in natural conditions.
Growing and keeping in the pit is not able to withstand every crawl. The best choice will be ordinary Russian pets of small size and with high resistance to disease.
Growing in a pit for the first time may be unusual for rabbits, so you need to do their acclimatization. For this, especially greenhouse individuals are placed in a new house for a while, and then returned again. You need to do this about 5-6 times, each time increasing the duration of being outside the home.
The benefits of growing in a pit
So, the content of eared in the pit has several advantages.
- High fecundity. In a short time, the number of pets can increase by a couple of dozen goals.
- Strengthening health and immunity, because it is the movement that improves the lives of animals. Constant jumping, running, fighting will benefit the rabbits. In order to grow eared strong and healthy, it is sometimes enough to add a little balanced feed to their diet and completely eliminate flour, which can lead to indigestion.
- Little spending on home-made housing. To make a metal cage, it will take more than one day, but in order to make a shallow and large pit, several hours are enough with minimal or no cost. For the taxation of the house, even old boards that can prevent flight are suitable.
- Harvesting is several times less likely than in normal conditions, due to the larger living space. In addition, many feces and excreta will be absorbed by the soil, so you will not need to get rid of them. In addition, rabbits are considered to be clean, therefore they will defecate outside the hole.
- Pets are able to repulse any "land" enemies and pests after grouping. The owner will not have to eliminate the rodents on their own, because the "team" of rabbits are able to fight enemies on their own.
- The safety of small rabbits in the pit is ensured to the maximum, because almost 100% of the babies survive.
Keeping animals in a pit is beneficial, but there are drawbacks to this process. Before moving on to raising animals in such a dwelling, it is important to analyze each argument, because this method is by no means universal.
What dangers are there in the pit dug by your own hands? High probability of death of all individuals after infection. Unfortunately, long-term maintenance of rabbits in a pit (more than a year) can easily end with the development of a large number of infectious diseases, therefore it is necessary to disinfect burrows and perimeters twice a year.
Another disadvantage is the difficulty in cleaning the design of the house with ill-conceived digging. .
Some animals have an amazing ability to tear out the longest tunnels in which they will have to be found for several years. If such a specimen appears on the farm, it is better to shoot it.
Breeding for a fur coat is impossible, because the fur will become tough and rare due to the constant fighting of pets with each other, friction on the ground, etc.
It will not work to breed Giants and European breeds, since they are not able to dig the ground and will simply sit in the ground.
To ensure successful and long-term residence of rabbits in the pit, you can use the following tips from experienced farmers.
- It is important to ensure the antibiotic intake of each individual before planting in new conditions and to inject each female to avoid infections spreading among young rabbits.
- Animals should be trained in food. Feeding should be carried out in the middle of the room, the presence of the owner is optional, but desirable. Such measures will simplify the catching of game in the future.
- The roof above the pit must be of high quality so that heavy rain cannot flood it and the offspring's house: this way animals can choke. Despite the fact that rabbits dig holes suitable for rain protection, there are exceptions.
- It is required to use concrete or brick lining in order to cover the room and prevent it from crumbling and forced repair work. Better to get rid of the root of the problem than to cope with the inconvenience that arose unexpectedly. Wooden walls can be tied with an electric drill. Enough holes in 15-16 mm, where the anchor is equipped with high-quality plastic bars. Clay soil is enough. It is important not to forget to install a larger washer so as not to push the tree.
The method of using the pit for raising rabbits is interesting and simple, because the farmer does not even need a scheme. Many pets do not like the usual cage, so you have to dig out of the situation by digging special pits. As it turned out, making them is quite simple, and every novice farmer can breed rabbits there.
With the proper arrangement of the plot, the farmer will forget about the anxieties and vagaries of the rabbits for a long time. Mostly, one visit in a few days will be enough to fill the feeders and drinkers. For the rest, you can see how rabbits live and cope with everything on their own. In order to breed furry pets, you don’t need to “reinvent the wheel”, just take advantage of the experience of breeders, watch some useful videos and arm yourself with patience.