The reasons for twisting the tops of tomatoes
Proper care of tomato seedlings is not an easy task. Seedlings require care: it is necessary to carefully monitor the composition of the soil, temperature conditions, as well as carry out prophylaxis against diseases. Only in this case can a good percentage of yield be obtained. But there are cases when, even at first glance, with good care, the plant has signs of illness and many, even experienced gardeners, do not know why the tops of tomatoes are twisted.
The reasons for twisting the tops of tomatoes
Major Tomato Care Mistakes
In fact, there are many reasons why the top leaves of a bush can twist. Tomatoes react strongly to poor conditions for growth, almost instantly all leaves quickly wither and dry.
The main thing is to learn in time to recognize the signs of such a manifestation and begin rehabilitation methods. Twisting leaves significantly affects the percentage of yield. And all due to the fact that the bush can not get enough sunlight and as a result, the percentage of the production of plastic methods that are so necessary for good fruit formation decreases.
After the leaves begin to curl, the entire bush will dry out. In order to avoid this, you need to understand the causes and main mistakes in growing seedlings:
- feeding is carried out incorrectly or the bush receives an insufficient percentage of fertilizing;
- lack of essential trace elements;
- a small percentage of organic additives;
- improper watering;
- problems with aphids;
- various diseases.
If the bush has an insufficient percentage of watering, then the plant begins to save moisture and, as a result, the leaves begin to turn yellow, then twist and eventually dry up. The leaves are curling, trying so much to reduce the evaporation of moisture, which is so necessary. But if the moisture is in excess, then you will never get a good yield.
A small percentage of moisture is often the main reason why the leaves are curled, so that the plant receives enough water and at the same time you are left with good productivity, no more than one bucket should be poured onto one bush.
Attention: you need to water the bush in several approaches and at the same time you need to make sure that the water falls directly under the root, and does not spread throughout the territory. Watering is done 1 time for 3 days.
During long and long rains, it is imperative to make channels through which water will flow, since due to constant rains the soil does not receive enough oxygen.
When the seedlings are in greenhouses and the temperature is too high there, the plant experiences a lot of stress and begins to dry. In order for the moisture not to evaporate and remain in the plant, the bush is trying to reduce its area due to the leaf plate and therefore the upper leaves are twisted. To protect your plants, you need to constantly ventilate the room and create good ventilation. High temperature is detrimental to plants that grow in greenhouses.
Plants in the greenhouse need regular ventilation
Tomatoes in hellish heat need to be darkened at noon. It is best to use Lutrasil or Spanbond in white for this. We will consider several rules below.
- Experts advise processing plants using a solution: ½ tablespoon of urea per 10 liters. water. Then after 2 days you need to process potassium permanganate, preferably a raspberry shade.
- Mulch. Due to the large layer of grass, approximately 8 cm in the roots of seedlings do not overheat.
- Gardeners do not advise to reanimate slightly withered bushes with rainwater. And all due to the fact that in bright sunshine, water drops turn into lenses and they begin to burn through the plant through, then they turn yellow and dry. Morning or evening rain irrigation can lead to late blight.
Poor top dressing
Often, even the most experienced gardeners do not know why the tops of the tomato are twisted, and it is important for tomatoes to top dress once every 2 weeks, no matter where the seedlings grow - in open soil or in a greenhouse. According to experts, the main mistake of gardeners is that they are very addicted to organic additives.
Manure, nitrogen fertilizers, various herbs are good fertilizers, but they can not provide good nutrition for the root system of tomatoes. An excess of manure fertilizer releases too much ammonia into the soil, which subsequently burns the plant, and then withers.
At such a moment, the fatliquoring of the bush occurs, that is, instead of giving all the vitamins for fruit growth, the plant begins to give all its elements to grow greenery.
Types of feeding
You need to buy only high-quality manure or compost and give the plant all types of fertilizing: organic, mineral and combined.
- If we talk about mineral fertilizers, tomatoes need normal spraying with boric acid for normal growth and stable immunity. Such top dressing stimulates the growth of fruits and promotes the formation of ovaries. Processing must be done in the evening so that the solution dries more slowly.
- Organic fertilizers favorably affect both the soil and the plant. Such fertilizers saturate tomatoes with useful elements, accelerate the growth of fruits. Most often, wood ash is used as an organic fertilizer. It is she who is the source of many useful elements (potassium, magnesium, etc.) that protect tomatoes from various pests and diseases and accelerate the process of growth and ripening of fruits. It is quite simple to make a solution for watering tomatoes: 2 cups of ash are poured with 10 liters of boiling water and insisted for 3 days. After this, the resulting solution is filtered and watered with bushes.
- As for the combined feeding, most often, experienced breeders use the following fertilizer: for 30 kg of humus, you need to add 500 g of ammonium nitrate, 2 kg of ash and 6 kg of land from your site. All components must be mixed and the resulting mixture scattered in a bed with tomatoes.
Aphid is a disease that sucks sap from a bush. All due to the fact that the disease drinks juices from the plant, while secreting a special substance. This does not give a strong effect on the leaves, but the shape of the stem begins to change.
Treatment of the plant is quite troublesome, as the disease spreads rapidly. The disease develops inside the stem and spreads upward. It is advisable to apply such funds: Ingavir, Fitoverm, Strela or Jaguar.
Manifestation of infections
If you have already tried everything, and the leaves continue to spin, then there remains only the reason - a bacterial infection, which, most likely, fell into the ground along with the seeds. You can get rid of such a problem only thanks to Avixil, but you cannot completely get rid of the infection. Sometimes there are drugs that must be administered inside the plant.
Even despite the large number of rules and counts, tomatoes are a popular vegetable that is grown in open ground and in greenhouses. Over time, experience and knowledge will come with which you can grow excellent bushes with tomatoes, and then the tops and curls will not be a problem for you.