Reasons fallen leaves of ficus
When growing ficus plants at home, flower growers often face problems associated with caring for home flowers. It is not uncommon for the leaves to fall off the ficus.
Causes of ficus leaf decay
The time is coming
For many fans of ficus, the period when the latter suddenly begins to drop leaves becomes a complete surprise. They begin to look for reasons leading to the fact that the leaves turn red, darken to the color of rust, their tips are wrapped inwards, bent and deteriorated.
So, for the flower of Benjamin (Balzamin) and its curly variety Nitida, the slightest changes in the state of room comfort become a reason for the loss of leaves: a change in the methods of care, transplantation, an attempt to propagate in winter or autumn.
Ficus even with proper care annually loses leaves, this is a natural process of changing leaves in winter. Falling occurs at the onset of the autumn-winter season. This is due to the aging of vegetation and the need for its renewal. Immediately with the advent of colds, the leaves fall, become lethargic, turn yellow, curl and crumble. In winter, the leaves on the ficus fall off or do not dry completely, but only the lower ones, which fall at the beginning of the trunk. With the onset of spring heat, new and young ones will grow on an empty ficus trunk.
Reasons for falling leaves
If the ficus has thrown off the leaves or they have fallen, wilt, bent, curled, turn yellow and brown, fly around not only when the cold season comes, the reasons lie in improper care: there is something missing from the home flower.
One of the most common causes of leaf decay is a change in climatic conditions in which the plant is accustomed to develop, which most often occurs during its propagation or transplantation.
Often, a change in the location of the flower pot is temporary, so that a flower with twisted leaf blades hangs foliage down and then takes it off. In such a situation, it is quite possible to restore the former beautiful crown of the flower, root it until the leaves of the ficus have completely fallen.
Among other reasons why the ficus discards leaves, the most famous in home floriculture are distinguished:
- excessive importance;
- sudden changes in temperature and drafts,
- moving to new conditions immediately after transplantation,
- insufficient lighting
- oversaturation of the soil layer with moisture,
- the presence of insectivorous parasites and fungal infections,
- land sent by pesticides.
Improper care can cause illness.
In the list of common reasons why ficuses drop their leaves, the first number indicates emerging infections and care problems. In most cases, they are easily removable. The measures taken in time allow to reanimate the indoor flower.
Insufficiency of nutrients in the soil, where ficus grows, leads to shredding of leaves. With inadequate feeding and improper care, when the climate is too dry and the temperature indicators are too high, the situation is aggravated: the ficus leaves are smaller, you can see how they droop and dry, which often leads to decay. With insufficient fertilizers, the ficus usually begins to fall in the direction from the bottom up.
When yellow spots appear on the leaves of the ficus, we can talk about rot on the root system of the plant, manifested due to excessive watering. An excess of liquid, which does not have time to evaporate from the soil layer in the pot, leads to decay, yellowing, falling of leaves and death.
Oversaturation of land with fertilizers also adversely affects the quality of ficus foliage. For these reasons, brown spots appear on the leaves - specks, foliage blackens and flies over time. Falling occurs randomly.
The presence of a spider mite, aphid, scutellaria and other insect pests on the plant looks like convex spots of brown or brown hue, leaf blades whiten from plaque.
Parasites can settle along the veins of the leaf blade. You can save a flower from excessive dropping of leaves by using modern pest control agents. As a result, a plant with a beautiful green crown will grow.
Black or red spots of mold, which are located on the outer part of the leaf blade and may be present on the stem of the plant, become signs of rot and a soot fungus. Ficus leaves affected by a fungal infection begin to turn yellow and fall off. Timely undetected fungal disease becomes a frequent cause of plant death, and in a short time.
Flower is possible to save
When asked what to do if the ficus leaves fall, most gardeners advise finding out the cause of this process and eliminating it by arranging proper care.
If parasites are found and the presence of signs of fungal infection is present, they begin immediate measures to save the flower:
- At the initial stage of the development of ficus disease, the affected areas of the plant are cut off, and the remaining foliage is cleaned of pests and mold spots with a soft brush, rinsing with running water.
- Disinfection is carried out, treating the stem and leaves with garlic infusion made from 60-80 g of garlic, for 1 hour of boiling water infused in a liter. The procedure is carried out daily until the foliage problem is completely eliminated.
- Soap-alcohol mixtures can be used as disinfection, to create which the laundry soap is mixed with a spoon of alcohol in equal proportions, the ficus is sprayed with this solution with an interval of 4 days and the subsequent washing of the leaves after 12 hours. The full course of treatment is 2 weeks.
- The treatment of indoor flower from dropping leaves can be carried out through specialized means designed to combat parasites and fungal infections of plants.
Causes of foliage loss in some species
Different types of ficus can be traced to different causes of leaf fall. Depends on how exactly it is necessary to care for the plant.
The reason for the yellowing and falling of the leaves of ficus Benjamin may be:
- A change in the usual conditions of detention, since this species does not tolerate a change in conditions, temperature jumps, or a decrease in the light regime. Moving the ficus of Benjamin from his usual warm place to a colder place will be an occasion for him to drop leaves.
- Sudden changes in temperature and hypothermia as a result of contact with a cold window glass or placement of a flower container on a cold ceramic surface, because the place for the pot is chosen so that the leaves do not freeze.
- Adverse situation: oversupply of light, excessively dry air, overdried soil, leading to the appearance of yellow spots and yellow edges at the leaves.
- Imbalance in top dressing: lack of micro and macro elements, as well as oversaturation of soil with fertilizers.
The natural process of changing ficus of Benjamin foliage occurs not only in the autumn period. Foliage of this species may fall during the winter, losing the crown by 10-20%. If the indoor flower begins to lose foliage daily, it is worth analyzing its watering and sufficient illumination.
This ficus is the most stable and can withstand almost any conditions of maintenance and care, however, it may also have reasons to drop leaves, among which:
- waterlogging of soil and stagnation of water,
- insufficient lighting in the room,
- excessive fertilizing of the earth with fertilizing,
- reduced temperature and the presence of drafts.
Another reason why rubbery ficus can drop leaves is because the flower pot is not suitable for it. If a slightly constricting pot is more suitable for Benjamin's indoor flower, the rubbery species prefers freedom, therefore, the capacity for growing it should be larger in size, not restricting the plant, otherwise its leaves begin to become smaller in size and after a while fall off.
The subtleties of preserving the ficus crown
Different varieties have their own characteristics of care
During the cultivation of various species of ficus, many flower growers noted for themselves that this plant reacts unfavorably to some factors.
Direct exposure to the leaves of sunlight is not popular with all species. If the variegated species of flowers are photophilous, some ficuses, for example, Benjamin, prefer shading for a comfortable stay.
In winter, it is recommended to place the flower pot closer to the window, because a lack of lighting in the place where the ficus grows will certainly affect the quality of its leaves - they will begin to fall off.
Ampelous large-leaf varieties of ficus love frequent spraying. To preserve their foliage, sufficient moisture is most important, therefore, during the growing process, many gardeners install a flower pot directly on pallets with pebbles or expanded clay and constantly keep them moist.
In contrast to ampelous species, tree-like ficuses love that their soil layer be dried and there are no lumps.
Frequent transplants adversely affect the quality of foliage of all types of ficus. Often, for this reason, indoor flowers begin to drop leaves, because experienced flower growers are of the opinion that you need to transplant the plant no more than once every two-year interval.
For large plants that have already grown up, only the top layer of soil is subject to replacement.
With a lack of nutrition in many tree species, the leaves turn yellow and fall off. So that the trunk does not remain without foliage, for the period of active growth of the plant, stock up on mineral fertilizing for ornamental deciduous plants, which are used with an interval of 2 weeks.
The growth of new leaves in ficuses activates nitrogen fertilizer, yellowing of the leaves prevents magnesium fertilizer.
Ficus is fed from March to September. At rest, which occurs in winter, fertilizers are not applied to the soil. In addition, due to the reduction of daylight hours in flowers, the process of photosynthesis is reduced to zero, and the root system does not need as much water as in summer, because the number of waterings is minimized so as not to flood the plant.
Before fertilizing the soil, it must be moistened in a day by spilling with warm water.
To avoid burning the root system, you should use mineral fertilizers to feed the ficus in the dosage that is prescribed in the instructions. Otherwise, the glut of the earth will be one of the reasons why the ficus begins to drop leaves. For the initial fertilizer of the earth, the dose is advised to be reduced to half. Weakened by parasites and fungal infections, the plant is not fully fertilized, the amount of fertilizing for it is also reduced.