Rabbit castration procedure
Castration of rabbits is an important but optional operation, after which a change in the character of animals for the better is observed, the absence of nervousness and aggressiveness towards other individuals (often pets bite each other, damage the coat, thereby depreciating it). Castration, in addition, helps to improve appetite and increase body weight by 20-30%, as a result of which the meat becomes more refined and tender.
Castration of rabbits
Sometimes castration is a necessary way for a rabbit to protect against a hernia of the scrotum, varicose venous expansion, dropsy, orchitis. How are operations carried out at home, is it necessary to castrate farm rabbits? And is it really useful for a rabbit?
On the intricacies of castration of rabbits
Castration of rabbits can be carried out only after the animals reach the age of 3-4 months. It was at this time that the ovaries descended into the scrotum. Sometimes rabbit breeders resort to early castration at the age of 5-6 weeks. When carrying out the operation, rabbits whose age has already exceeded 6 years must remember the high probability of a fatal outcome.
Castration of the rabbit is mainly performed in order to adjust the behavior of males and prevent injury to other rabbits during fights. It is thanks to such an operation that you can make your pet balanced and calm. In addition, the improvement in the taste of meat is also pleasing.
After an emergency castration, a rabbit not only changes its behavior, but also improves its appearance. So, the skin acquires great softness, density and silkiness, which is most important for a decorative male or animal that has suffered an injury to the skin.
Advantages and disadvantages of the procedure
Before castrating rabbits, it is necessary to carefully analyze not only the advantages, but also the possible negative consequences of the operation. The main advantages of castration include the following:
- Noticeable improvement in the quality of life: the transformation of wool, appearance, behavior, body weight.
- Improving the taste of meat and the acquisition of a more delicate and juicy taste.
- Cessation of fights between animals: rabbits no longer fight against each other for females and a free area.
- The cessation of permanent pollution of the territory with feces and excreta.
- Lack of sharp smells in rabbitry.
- Solving the issue of increased fecundity of pets: after the procedure, males can no longer produce new offspring, therefore they can be kept together with rabbits, without fear of unexpected consequences.
- The termination of the search for a mating partner, which makes him calmer in relation to other males and less active in terms of behavior.
However, castration of a rabbit at home has not only advantages: it is necessary to rely not only on factors useful and beneficial for the rabbit breeder. The negative features of castration include certain nuances.
- Not one case of a fatal outcome was recorded during the procedure, which is especially true for animals older than 4 years of age. Pets are quite difficult to tolerate anesthesia and surgery.
- The high cost of drugs and procedures for the care after surgery.
- The possible occurrence of complications, which can manifest both as suppuration, and as more serious infections after surgical operations.
- The possibility of accidental ruptures in restless animals (threatens with closed hemorrhage). Sometimes pets break their own seams, causing bleeding and possible infectious infections.
- The lack of a 100 percent chance that rabbit aggressiveness will disappear forever. Sometimes the animal instinct is so strong that to avoid constant skirmishes and injuries will not work even after castration.
Having answered the question about why castration is needed, it is necessary to consider the main methods of its implementation. In addition, each farmer decides whether to castrate his pets or not.
Before castrating an animal, it is prepared for the procedure using special prophylactic measures. Pets are often given acidophilus several days before removal. Acidophilus helps prevent dysbiosis, which appears immediately after the intervention of the surgeon. 10-12 hours before the start of the operation, the animal must be transferred to starvation, leaving only clean water for consumption. Lack of food in the body will prevent bowel prolapse. Before the operation, it is important to carefully examine the pet in order to make sure that its health is in accordance with the norm.
The methods of castration of rabbits with their own hands are presented only in two varieties: castration of rabbits in a closed and open way. The second method is preferable for young individuals, while the first is considered safer. What are the features of each of the methods?
- Adult pets are always operated on by a closed method. The procedure is carried out in the form of ligation of the scrotum with thread or ligature. The animal is held, raising its head up, so that the testes can lower. The final stage is ligation of the scrotum at the base. If the technique was correct, then within a week the testes will dry out and fall off without any help, which will contribute to the thread that impedes blood circulation. The main disadvantage of castration in a closed way is the possibility of inflammation of a weak scrotum.
- Only an expert can correctly conduct the operation in an open way, because in this case there is a risk of serious complications and infections, such as a hernia or inflammation of the peritoneum. For the procedure, general anesthesia is used, after which the groin area is carefully shaved and processed with alcohol and iodine. Next, the scrotum is cut and the spermatic cord incision is fixed by treating the wound with streptocide. The cost of open castration is often higher due to the need for anesthesia and being in a separate room with sterile and special tools.
You can find out how much it costs to remove the reproductive organs of a rabbit in any veterinary clinic. It is worth noting that the price of such a procedure is rarely high. The cost of castration done in a public institution is lower than the services of private doctors.
Animal care after surgery
Whatever methods are chosen for the procedure, the rabbit is able to recover and return to normal life within a few days. To prevent complications and infections, you should:
- carry out general cleaning and disinfection in the rabbit's cage;
- provide the feeder with fresh hay, and the drinker with clean water;
- regularly examine the pet and treat the wounds with peroxide;
- monitor rabbit nutrition;
- leave a heating pad in the cage for several days;
- limit the communication of the male with the females for a period of up to 2 months.
You can observe how castrated crawl behaves on the corresponding videos.
How to castrate a rabbit yourself
Often, breeders ask themselves how to castrate a rabbit themselves. They are prompted by such an idea either by the inappropriate price of the clinical procedure, or by a lack of confidence in medicine. Castration of a decorative rabbit should take place only in the clinic.
In order to carry out the operation with your own hands, it is necessary to properly prepare. It is important to wash your hands thoroughly, cut off your nails and grease your fingers with iodine. To carry out castration, you will need sharp scissors, a scalpel and the presence of any suture (silk or kapron) material. Each instrument should be boiled for half an hour. Next, the table is treated with a disinfector and the rabbit is anesthetized (in order to calculate its volume, the body weight of the animal is taken into account). As soon as it falls asleep, you need to put it on its side and fix the legs with a rope.
The procedure itself takes place in several stages:
- groin shaving and scrotum treatment with iodine;
- delaying the testis and its incision;
- extracting the testis and pulling the thread of the cord;
- removal of the testis with a scalpel; you need to cut off over the constriction (in order not to damage the peritoneum, you do not need to pull the cord to the side);
- similar removal of the second testis;
- treatment of wounds with streptocide or any other antiseptics.
After the rabbit, you can untie it and wait for it to awaken. As the animal recovers, it is necessary to provide it with the necessary restoring complex of procedures.
There is nothing complicated in the operation of castration of rabbits at home, and every rabbit breeder can perform it. In order for it to succeed, you need to familiarize yourself with the features of the anatomical structure of the scrotum and the intricacies of the procedure. Castration of an adult rabbit to this day causes a lot of controversy, because there is still no consensus on its need. Ultimately, it is only up to you to decide whether to castrate a domestic rabbit after analyzing the pros and cons.