Potato Yield Forecasts for 2018
A well-deserved reward for hard work is a high yield of potatoes. In countries with moderate climatic conditions, including Russia, this root crop is called nothing more than second bread. This is confirmed information, because this agricultural crop is popular both among ordinary summer residents and in large agricultural enterprises. Potato is good because it is completely unpretentious in cultivation. But in order for the harvest to be really rich, it is necessary to provide the right care, as well as to know the small secrets of fertilizer and top dressing.
What affects yield
Statistical data for the period 2016 - 2017 show that the largest potato harvest falls at the end of August - beginning of September. But how can the exact dates be determined? To do this, consider the following points:
- The indicator of soil fertility.
- Dates of planting culture.
- Climatic features of the region.
- Variety of potatoes.
- Quantity and quality of fertilizer applied.
If the grower has been cultivating the crop for more than one year, accordingly he knows what the average potato yield is from 1 hectare, then he can independently make a forecast for 2018. It is not possible to determine the exact start date of the harvest, but it is possible to guess and calculate the approximate amount of potato received kg / m2.
If during the production process cultivation technologies are followed, then as a result the summer resident will get the maximum result. Potato yield an average of 150 centners per hectare. But if you trace this figure for different regions of Russia, then this figure is not the same. This is affected by the characteristics of the soil and climate.
- As practice shows, the best crops in the Bryansk region. The region holds a leading position in the sale of root crops in the market during the period 2016-2017. Here, the yield of potatoes from 1 ha is 230 kg / ha.
- Tula and Tula region occupy an honorable second place in growing and increasing yields. Today, the yield is 250 c / ha. Yields in this region are higher, but less planted land.
- The ten largest suppliers of this culture also include Astrakhan, Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod, Tyumen and Sverdlovsk regions, as well as Tatarstan and Udmurtia. Here the indicators are an order of magnitude lower, but this does not affect the taste characteristics.
- There is another part in Russia where the potato yield is not inferior to the Bryansk and Tula regions - this is the European part of the country, as well as in the Urals and Siberia. For one season, 250-300c / ha is harvested in this region.
Indicators in summer cottages
Opportunities for growing vegetables at large agricultural companies differ from those available to summer residents.
Since the former count on tons, due to the availability of professional equipment and technologies, high-quality fertilizers and herbicides, they have a much lower percentage of bad potatoes. They work exclusively to increase the amount of collected product from a hundred.
But sometimes, in the summer cottage it is realistic to grow a no less tasty product, with record collection rates. The peculiarity of gardeners is that planting, cultivation implies specific goals: providing yourself and your family with a quality product. Therefore, the grower is trying to do everything accurately and correctly, and agricultural machinery helps him in this. Some summer residents observe all the moments of planting, while the potato blossomed - they spud the beds, fertilizing.
Joint efforts will be rewarded, on average, crop yields on summer cottages are 150-250 kg per hundred square meters. The price of such potatoes is not much different from industrial, although the quality is sometimes much higher.
High Yield List
Many potatoes in the nest
The Russian registry of crops registered 280 types of potatoes that we grow in the temperate climate zone. All these varieties are acclimatized, so they can be used for storage and for export. The most famous from this list:
- Luck is the most productive variety, the yield indicator will be 950 centners per 1 ha. Based on these facts, they assigned the category of "super-yielding." This variety has a high price for seeds, planting and growing requires constant care, watering, fertilizing, technical maturation period of 85-95 days.
- Idaho - the variety ranks second in terms of performance. On average, 550 c / ha is harvested, this figure is real, both for industrial and home cultivation. The fruits of this variety are of high quality, a high content of carbohydrates and starch, makes them useful as well as nutritious.
- Bellarosa is an early ripe variety that is mainly grown in the southern regions. This is a relatively new species, so the price of seeds is quite high, but the cash costs pay off. After all, if you properly water and fertilize the plant, then on average you can collect 350 c / ha. And most importantly, after harvesting, the garden can be planted repeatedly.
- Gala is a mid-early culture; 60-70 days pass before the onset of technical ripeness. Planting this crop is advantageous in that 85% of tubers have large fruits, respectively, from one hectare you can collect 340 centners of root crops.
- Rosara is an early ripe fruit variety, which is characterized by a high starch content (more than 17%). With good care, you can collect more than 500 kg / ha, but on average yields are 300-320 centners (300 kg per m2).
But it is worth remembering that not even every very high-yielding plant will give a high level of yield if it grows in dry or depleted soil.
The period and conditions for the ripening of root crops are somewhat subject to human control, but there is one factor that is not subject to - the weather. To understand what the new crop will be and when you can dig potatoes, you need to observe the weather conditions.
- If the winter is lingering and the heat does not come until mid-April, respectively, the beginning of the planting of early varieties will also be shifted in time. Cold is dangerous in that it can adversely affect the seeds, thereby making them unsuitable for growth. The optimum possible air temperature during collection is at least 10 ° C, otherwise the tubers will begin to blacken.
- If, according to the weather forecast, a period of prolonged rains is expected, the landing is best postponed. Since the rains bring with them a general decrease in temperature, and this will negatively affect the state of planted root crops. In the best case, they just get sick, in the worst, the seeds will not germinate. If this weather phenomenon is expected during the potato digging season, then harvesting is carried out immediately. Waterlogged soil provokes diseases, the appearance of rot and the deterioration of the quality of root crops.
- Severe drought. This weather phenomenon strongly affects the yield indicator. Potato is a moisture-loving plant, therefore, if weather forecasts are expected to increase the temperature, the grower must take care of the additional irrigation system. Dry, clear weather is good during digging, because after it is dug from the ground, the tubers can be dried in air and determined for storage.
The exact yield forecast for 2018, as well as the definition, price / quality is still unknown, since there is no information about what the spring-summer period will be. But from any gardener who wants to get the maximum yield, careful preparation for the season, the right choice of seed material, fertilizing and fertilizers are required.