The optimum temperature for growing cabbage seedlings
Cabbage is a cold-resistant vegetable with a high content of useful vitamins and minerals that retain excellent properties, despite long-term storage. To get a quality vegetable, a favorable temperature for growing cabbage seedlings is chosen.
The optimum temperature for growing cabbage seedlings
A plentiful harvest requires healthy and strong seedlings.
When to sow
Depending on the ripening period of the vegetable crop, it is recommended to sow:
|No.||Maturity dates||Sowing time|
|one.||Early||It is recommended to sow in early March (no later than the 20th day)|
|2.||Average||Mid-March (from the 15th day) to mid-April|
|3.||Late||April (preferably at the beginning)|
Sowing and soil preparation
First, the soil is prepared for sowing the seeds of a vegetable. The mixture includes 2 parts of humus and one part of soddy soil. Ash is also added (proportion - 1 tbsp. L. Product per 1 kg of mixture).
The preparation of cabbage seeds is carried out in several stages:
- Selection. To sort out the seed from dry grain, it is poured with saline for several minutes (no more than 3%). Floated seeds are thrown away. And those that remain are rinsed with clean water and dried.
- Disinfection. It is best to disinfect the seed with a light solution of potassium permanganate (manganese). For a more effective result, heat treatment is recommended. Cabbage grains are dipped for 20 minutes in a pot with cooled boiling water. There is a risk that the seed will not sprout.
- Inlay. This technology allows you to get a high level of yield by processing the seed material with a special mixture of growth stimulant, microfertilizer and dye. It is recommended to buy seeds that have been inlaid.
For future seedlings, it is important to prepare containers. It is recommended to take small containers or disposable cups. Plants dive into larger boxes of plastic or wood.
Seeds are sown according to simple rules:
- Planting of material is planned 35-40 days prior to emergence.
- Immediately before sowing the grain for 30 minutes. soaked in melt water with the addition of 1 tbsp. l honey. After the expiration of the material is dried through a fine sieve.
- The recently seeded material is kept under the film, maintaining a temperature of at least 19 ° C. After the appearance of the first seedlings, the temperature is brought down to 10 ° C.
- Periodically, the soil between the rows is loosened.
Types of seedlings
Planting material must be of good quality.
To obtain a high percentage of the crop, planting material is qualitatively selected.
There are 2 options for growing cabbage:
- Picked seedlings. When picking, damaged and diseased plants are removed, a third of the root is removed healthy. Plants are transplanted into small boxes or plastic cups one at a time. They can also be planted in large crates with a depth of at least 10 cm with a distance of 8-12 cm between plants. After transplantation, the boxes are placed in a warm room with heating and a stable temperature of at least 20 ° C. After a few days, the temperature is lowered to 18 ° C.
- Growing without picking. Material is sown in the second half of January and until mid-February. The soil for cultivation should consist of flat parts of soil with humus. 30 g of potassium nitrate, 60 g of superphosphate and 20 g of ammonium nitrate are added to 2 buckets of the mixture. Cabbage seed is sown in small boxes. The distance between the rows is at least 3-4 cm. The depth of the groove is 1.5-2 cm. The temperature for growing seedlings in the greenhouse should be at least 23-24 ° C.
A few simple seedling care tips help make it strong and resistant to frost.
How to harden cabbage seedlings
Vegetable seedlings are recommended to be tempered 2 weeks before the intended transplant into the open ground. They are accustomed to further development with possible temperature drops.
Seedlings periodically carried out into the open air for an hour, every day increasing the time by half an hour. This helps plants adapt to sunlight. Also in the greenhouse they lower the temperature to 15 ° C, and at night - no more than 8-9 ° C.
A few days before planting in open ground, seedlings are treated with a weak solution of Bordeaux mixture. Before planting, each seedling must have at least 5 leaves, a dense stem and a height of 19 cm to 22 cm.
Cabbage is a very delicate plant, which at the same time has high cold resistance. The minimum temperature that the seedlings can withstand is not lower than zero. Properly hardened seedlings can withstand small frosts to -4 ° C. Greenhouse seedlings freeze at this temperature.
The temperature regime for growing cauliflower seedlings differs for that characteristic for white cabbage. Colored varieties are more thermophilic in comparison with cabbage. For good development, the plant needs warm sunny weather and a stable air temperature of at least 17 ° C.
In order to properly prepare the garden for planting a vegetable, the first thing it needs to be dug up. Seedlings are planted in a checkerboard pattern with a distance of about 60 cm between plants. Landing takes place in several stages:
- Well preparation. The depth of each hole is not more than 20 cm. First, a little humus or manure is added to the hole, then it is sprinkled with wood ash. All this is sprinkled with a small amount of earth.
- Watering. Cabbage is a moisture-loving plant. It is very important to prepare the required humidity of the wells before planting. At least 1 liter of water is poured into each hole.
- Warming holes. Seedlings recommend planting in sunny weather. After fertilizing, finished holes are left so that the mullein warms up under the sun and begins to produce heat. Warm soil is very important for this vegetable.
- Disembarkation. Plants are carefully removed from the boxes. In order not to damage the rhizome, slightly press on the container and remove all the plants along with the ground. They are slowly separated one by one. Damaged or wilted do not plant. Before planting, the roots of the seedlings are treated with the powder of the drug "Kornevin" to protect against damage. Holding with one hand, the plant is sprinkled with soil, after which they lightly press the ground around the seedling.
- Re-watering. After planting, plants are repeatedly watered abundantly (at least 1 liter of water per well) around the seedling so as not to wash the freshly planted plant from the soil.
- Mulching. After absorbing water, wet circles around the cabbage are sprinkled with earth to prevent the formation of a dry crust.
To get a good cabbage crop, you must follow the simple rules for sowing and caring for the seedlings of this vegetable, to know what freezing temperature the sprout tolerates.