Mushrooms after rain
For the growth and development of mushrooms, the “right” conditions are necessary. Mushrooms grow actively after rain, so rainfall is one of the key conditions for their appearance. To choose the right time to harvest, it is important to consider some points.
Mushrooms after rain
Mushroom Growth Conditions
Mushrooms multiply by spores that form in the tubular or lamellar layer of the hymenophore, located on the underside of the cap. For the active development of these organisms, a perfect combination of all conditions is necessary. In deciduous, coniferous and mixed forests, growth conditions are almost the same.
- Temperature: it should not exceed + 25 ... + 30 ° С, the minimum indicator should not fall below + 5 ° С. The ideal (comfortable) temperature for the development of fruiting bodies is + 10 ... + 20 ° С. Diffused sunlight also contributes to the growth of mycelium.
- Humidity of air and soil: thanks to it, the mycelium is saturated with water and the “program” of ripening fruit bodies is “launched”. Insufficient moisture inhibits the normal growth of mushrooms. Excessive watering causes rapid aging and decay.
- The presence of a nutrient substrate of a natural occurrence: usually fallen leaves and needles, rotten wood, humus in the soil - helps to saturate the mycelium with the necessary amount of nutrients. Their number should be optimal.
- Presence of parasitic organisms on the mycelium: leads to a complication of the process of maturation of the mushroom body. Sometimes parasites are able to destroy the entire mycelium or bring to a state where it will be unable to reproduce the fruits. If the fungus grows with the parasite inside, the entire process of its maturation is disrupted, which leads to rapid damage to the legs and caps and unsuitability for use.
Irina Selyutina (Biologist):
Humidity for the normal development of the fruiting bodies of mushrooms should be 70% and it should correspond to soil moisture. If, after heavy rains, a protracted dry period is established, then due to the fact that the soil becomes overdried, and the air, on the contrary, becomes over-moist, mushrooms will grow slowly.
Mushrooms usually gain weight over 10 days - evenly day and night. It can be difficult for even an experienced mushroom picker to say that it is time or not to pick mushrooms after rain. Their growth is significantly accelerated after a warm, quiet rain or fog.
Mushroom growth after rainfall
Water entering the soil induces the mycelium to grow actively. A similar process takes time from a dozen hours to 3-5 days. Further, the fruiting body itself grows - the leg and the hat. The completion of the life cycle occurs after 2 weeks from the moment when the top of the cap appears on the surface.
Mushrooms grow quickly after rain, unless there has been a long period of drought before.
Water awakens the mycelium
Under the influence of high temperatures for some time, the mycelium is not able to get enough of the necessary amount of moisture. And the ability of the earth to absorb water in a dry time is significantly deteriorating. This is especially true for land where the soil is open to direct sunlight for a long amount of time.
Not every rain can cause mushroom growth.
Short-term precipitation and heavy rainfall rarely contribute to the active growth of fruiting bodies. Fungi appear after medium-duration rain, when water gradually, for some time, enters the soil, is able to accumulate and moisten several layers of soil. The appearance of autumn mists contributes to the development of mycelium, and in spring and summer, the same role is successfully played by the falling dew.
The growth of different types of mushrooms
Mushrooms grow after rain in the warm season only during a certain period. For some species, precipitation is not a reason for the active development of the fruiting body.
The growth rate of the fetus after precipitation is divided into groups:
- Mushrooms with a high growth rate: they are characterized by a speed of 9-14 mm in height during the day. Their appearance on the surface is observed by 12-18 hours after rain or 2-3 days. These include butterfish, boletus, boletus - tubular; russula, champignons, mushrooms - lamellar. In these representatives of the mushroom world, the mycelium is located close to the surface of the earth, not dropping below 10-15 cm, which creates good conditions for rapid heating and moistening of the mycelium filaments.
- Slowly growing mushrooms: reach 1.5-3 mm in height over 24 hours. The density of the mushroom body of these species does not allow them to gain weight rapidly. Therefore, they appear above the surface of the soil for 5-7 days, and for the acquisition of a "presentation" they need 7-12 days. Bright representatives are chanterelles, breast, white mushroom, morel, stitch.
Collecting forest gifts in large quantities is possible a few days after the rain.
Irina Selyutina (Biologist):
It is important to know that upon the occurrence of the necessary weather conditions, mushrooms, as if by magic, will not appear. For their formation, the full development of mycelium is necessary, therefore, the appearance of fruiting bodies can be on different days of the long-awaited “mushroom period”. The process of propagation of mushrooms is independent of human desire, we cannot accelerate it. Therefore, do not forget that it is better to walk through the forest in search of mushrooms a few days after the "mushroom rain."
With the rapid evaporation of rain moisture or its insufficient amount, some specimens stop growing, acquiring an unattractive appearance. But with the resumption of favorable conditions, they continue to grow, the speed of their development depends on maintaining moisture and a comfortable temperature. First, the leg grows, and then the hat. The mushroom grows not only in height but also in width. The leg and cap continue to increase in size after the growth in height has already come to an end. The hat continues to grow even after the ripening of the leg. Aging of the mushroom body and saturation with toxins occurs already 12-15 days after the start of growth, it is better not to collect such a crop.
Mushroom picking after rain allows you to get beautiful and healthy forest gifts. You need to know the right time to collect after rainfall. If you check every day for possible mushroom spots, then the mushroom picker will get the expected result.