Methods for drying carrots at home
The problem of storing carrots is acute in the winter. Wanting to keep all the useful substances in the vegetable, the hostesses resort to various methods: immerse it in the cellar, freeze it, preserve it, and also use the drying method. There are several ways to dry carrots at home.
Methods for drying carrots at home
Why dry carrots
Drying preserves a maximum of useful trace elements in carrots, which are lost during deep freezing and preservation. Such a fruit is immediately ready for consumption.
Dried carrots are a dietary product; only 221 kcal per 100 g of product. Such a workpiece, under the right conditions, is stored all winter.
Dry the root crop really in the sun. This is done in hot sunny weather. As a drying place, a summer house veranda or a summer cottage is suitable. It is important to protect the vegetable from dust, dirt, insects and rain under a canopy.
How to carry out home drying:
- Cut the root crop into slices, cubes, grate (to increase the area of evaporation of moisture from the product).
- Spread the flooring and cover it with cling film.
- Take out the raw materials in the sun.
- Stir the chips from time to time, and if necessary, blot the liquid.
This method is suitable for those who have time to procure raw materials. The method has its advantages:
- does not require the cost of additional appliances, tools;
- simplicity in execution.
The method has its drawbacks:
- danger of damage to the workpiece: dust, dirt, strong wind;
- long cooking period: from several days with good sunshine up to 2 weeks.
After the carrots have dried, they are placed in wooden or tin containers, and cotton bags are also suitable. The workpiece is stored away from sunlight in a cool place with low humidity.
Using special electrical appliances
Drying carrots in an electric dryer is much easier than in air. To do this, prepare the root crop:
- peel, wash;
- cut into cubes or plates no thicker than 12 mm or grate on any convenient grater; the rays of the device penetrate deep into 6-12 mm;
- dry for several hours at 60 ° C-70 ° C.
Among the advantages of this device, a short process time (about 6-8 hours) at a low temperature is noted, which allows you to save the necessary supply of vitamins and minerals in the root crop. To dry carrots, the device uses infrared rays.
Electrical appliances simplify the drying process
The disadvantages of this method are as follows:
- energy costs (if you need to dry a lot of vegetables);
- the cost of an electric dryer.
In this device drying of parsley and carrot dust is possible.
These ingredients are suitable for preparing homemade seasonings for soup and other dishes. In an electric dryer, it is easy to cook carrot chips, candied fruit or shavings from the root crop.
Other drying methods
At home, a microwave and oven are used as a dryer. Harvesting from the fruit in such conditions is quick to cook. Dry the carrots in the microwave as follows:
- Peel and finely chop (grate) the fruit.
- Dry it from moisture and place between two paper towels.
- Place a container of liquid in the microwave.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Then, check readiness every 30 s.
- A glass of water (if boiled away), replace with a new one.
This way to dry the fruit is simple, but there is a chance that the carrots will get overdried. In this case, you will have to choose the necessary mode and cooking time for some time.
The same risks accompany the product if it is dried in the oven. Carry out such actions:
- The fruit is not cut too thickly.
- They cover the baking sheet with baking paper so that the product does not stick and does not burn. Lubricate it with oil is not recommended.
- Dry the workpiece from 6 to 8 hours at a temperature of 65 ° C-80 ° C, stirring occasionally.
The most convenient of all these methods is processing in an electric dryer. It requires a minimum of time and effort.
Budget, but long is the procedure in the sun. Dry the fruit in the microwave and oven faster, but there is a risk of preparing a poor-quality product.
It is possible to prepare vegetables for the winter using various methods. Drying carrots is the best way to preserve healthy vitamins. Harvesting at home is done using an electric dryer. It is easy to cook different forms of carrots for the winter: grated, diced, chips and even candied fruits.