Making rabbit cages on our own
Components and layout of the cage for rabbits largely determine the future fate of pets. Everyone who wants to raise healthy animals with good reproductive ability should take a responsible approach to choosing their future home.
DIY rabbit cage
Of course, it is much easier to purchase ready-made automated cages, but experienced breeders say that only with your own hands you can build the most comfortable home that takes into account all the features of a particular breed of rabbit.
Necessary materials and cage design
Each step-by-step instruction on creating a rabbit farm should have a description of the construction of the frame, at least four walls, floor, roof and doors. The material for the cell can serve as a tree or mesh, but metal sheets, including galvanized ones, are strictly prohibited for this purpose. The fact is that in the summer the iron cage will be very hot, and in winter, on the contrary, it will be very cold.
For the construction of the frame and window frames, thick bars or profile pipes are perfect. When making a drawing of a rabbit cage, it should be borne in mind that the height of the legs should be at least 40 cm. If the structure is located in an open space, it is best that its height is about 1 m above ground level. Firstly, the maintenance of such a cage for rabbits will be much easier, and secondly, it will be more difficult for animals to get to predators.
The material for walls and ceiling can be chosen different:
- plywood sheets;
- several wooden boards;
- piece of mesh.
The best materials for laying the floor are a rail or a piece of mesh. For buildings located on the street under the open sky, an additional roof is needed, which will reliably protect from snow and rain. It is very important that all compartments are smooth and not pose a danger to the inhabitants of the cage, then splinters or sharp metal ends of the mesh will not cause harm to animals.
If there is little space on the site where the farm is located, and the population is large, it makes sense to build multi-tier rabbitry, the height of which is several times more than usual. Often, a two-tier structure is used for these purposes, but in some cases even a three-tier cannot accommodate all pets.
Rabbit housing is of several types, distinguished by the type of cage design for rabbits. Most popular models:
- common rabbitry
- with a walk
- rabbit cages maklyak.
The first option involves the construction on high legs with two compartments: a feeder and a uterine compartment. Between these parts it is necessary to establish a solid-type partition with a manhole. How to do it right, you can always look at the video.
Doors for nests should be made of solid wood, and for feeding areas - from a grid on the frame. You can build a cage for walking with a separate entrance on the ground near the nursery. It is necessary to allocate as much territory as the land plot allows. These portable single-tier structures are very light, and you can move the two-tier structure at any time, if desired. For example, if rabbitry is standing in the open air in summer, then in winter it is easy to place it in a barn, where it is much more comfortable for rabbits to survive severe frosts.
Mating in nurseries, where the couple has the opportunity to walk, is more productive than in normal cages, because it’s no secret that active movement in natural conditions has a beneficial effect on the general well-being of not only the hare, but also the domesticated rabbit, and in particular on the reproductive performance of the rabbit, therefore, if the plans are breeding of eared pussies, the production of an aviary is necessary.
The low-cost, described above do-it-yourself cages for rabbits are often created and used by unprofessional rabbit breeders in their household plots, but the nurseries developed by Mikhailov have a technically more advanced system - building such a cage for rabbits on their own is not so simple.
Mikhailovskaya Farm has its own ventilation system, special shelves for feedlot rabbits, a mother queen for brooding and raising rabbits, heated drinking bowls, but, most importantly, the difference between the rabbit cages made by Mikhailov with his own hands is a unique waste disposal system.
Zolotukhin believes that it is better if the compartments have not mesh or slatted floors, as usual, but plywood or flat slate. The use of such materials makes the pallet a completely useless thing, so it is absent in its cells.
It is necessary to cover the floor at a slight angle to the back wall, along which a piece of mesh with a width of about 15 cm is attached. Thanks to this design, animal excrement rolls into the holes and is safely removed through them.
Another innovation of the author is the equipment in the nurseries of tipping feeders, which do not need to be completely removed to clean their cages, they just need to be tilted and washed, then a specially installed spring will return the containers to their place. To prevent rabbits from getting out of the rabbit cage through the through hole in the hinged feeder, be sure to divide it into 2 parts using a net.
As for the department for the mother liquor, according to Zolotukhin, in the summer there is absolutely no need for it. You can simply fence off the required size of your own using a profile board or a piece of plywood and fill it with hay. The rabbits themselves will take on all further work to create nests.
Zolotukhinsky cells for rabbits
This method of growing offspring is considered as close to natural conditions. As a result, rabbits develop good immunity to infectious diseases.
After the kids grow up a little, the board is removed, and the arrangement of the cell changes: it becomes very spacious. With the onset of winter, a warm cabin for the rabbit and her offspring will need to be put in the previously enclosed compartment.
To carry out the construction and installation of such nurseries, it does not matter whether they are single-tiered or multi-tiered, you do not need any special skills and expensive building materials. But without a grid of metal, boards, flat slate, plywood or drywall, professional pipes and a sheet of metal, it will not be possible to assemble the structure.
The manufacture of the cage frame for rabbits, their frames and doors is made of wood. As a floor, slate or plywood and mesh are laid. The doors of the feeders are also made of mesh. Thin metal sheets are used to beat bars and other wooden ledges.
The nest should be located in such a way that direct sunlight and drafts do not fall into it, damagingly affect not only rabbits, but also adults. That is why the door to the uterine compartment is always continuous. The entrance to the nest of the cage for the newborn young rabbits must be provided with a high threshold so that the cubs do not accidentally fall out of it (minimum height - 10 cm).
So that the waste from the upper tier does not fall into other departments, but spills out, they make a rabbit cage so that the back wall of the second floor is at a right angle, and the lower wall is at an angle.
Maklyak-6 is an improved version of the usual rabbit cage; it can be either one or two-story. In order to make an ideal cage for his pets at home, the author of the idea took the best from Zolotukhin, Mikhailovsky and other rabbit cage schemes developed by rabbit farmers popular in our country. The result is a complex, efficient cell construction. According to the Maklyakov scheme, mainly houses made of chipboard are built, standing on the street all year round. If you want to place your rabbits in the barn, it is better to look at other options.
Main features and design advantages:
- Modularity. The farmer can easily change the purpose of each section independently. For example, the uterine for the rabbit is really remade into a place for fattening.
- Drinking bowls and feeders have heating. So, even in severe frosts, warm drinking water and fresh food are always available to animals.
- Vital waste is disposed of through an advanced system. In such conditions, the operation of rabbitry is simplified.
- Heated uterine compartment. The house is always warm and comfortable, even if the outside temperature at this time is minus temperature.
If the farmer has on hand detailed drawings telling about how to build a rabbit cage, sketch, dimensions and the correct height of this design, he can try to make and equip such a not very simple, but very convenient rabbit farm on his own.
For the manufacture of such a design, experience and certain carpentry skills are required. It is advisable to first study in detail the photo and video materials, which tells how to make a cage and what features should be considered when conducting work.
We make a cell on our own
Step-by-step instructions on how to build a comfortable cage for rabbits:
- Take standard wooden blocks 50 x 50 mm and assemble the frame. In those places where the feeders will be located, a metal grid is fixed, then to make a floor out of it.
- Install the back wall and mount the floor in the mother liquors for a round of solid material.
- They take a sheet of plywood and cover the side walls of the nursery, cut out manholes in partitions with a diameter of about 20 cm, so that both females and young animals have the opportunity to move around the rabbitry, attach the partition to the uterine compartment.
- Attach to the nests of the cover.
- To divide the nursery into sections, in the center of its frame, a bar is mounted, to which the feeders are attached.
- Turn the structure over and slats begin to lay the mesh floors.
- Set hoppers-feeders and separate the place for roughage. As frames, you can use both rods and a mesh cross-section of 20 x 50 mm.
- Mount the roof of the nursery and attach the sliding door to the feeders.
- Mesh doors are attached to the frame, and continuous with latches to the sockets.
- For street nurseries, an additional roof is made of waterproof material. To do this, a rack frame is mounted on an existing roof, and slate or other roofing material is laid on it. The roof structure must necessarily have an angle of inclination so that rainfall rolls down from the rabbitry.
Before you make a cage for rabbits with your own hands from improvised means, you must necessarily draw it on a piece of paper. The drawing should take into account all the features of the future design in detail and contain dimensions.
Such a cage for rabbits is convenient in that, thanks to the large hopper for feeding, you can immediately load a lot of feed (6 kg or more) into it. Installation of one or several additional tiers is always available in these nurseries. It should be borne in mind that it is necessary to manufacture and fix pallets for collecting waste under each floor. In addition, options with too many tiers are not very preferred. To prevent rabbits (especially young animals) from getting stuck in the net, when arranging a nursery, it is necessary to use material whose mesh size does not exceed 2 x 2 cm.
- It is necessary to choose in advance where the farm will be located, and only then begin the construction of permanent cages for rabbits. If rabbitry is located on the street, its inhabitants must be reliably protected from strong winds and rainfall. Experienced farmers do not recommend placing cages in the south of the plot, as it is very sunny there and the animal can become sick from extreme heat.
- The optimal size of rabbit cells and each of its tiers is determined depending on the purpose of the breed and the number of rabbits. For example, the lucky owner of giants should provide 3-4 times more space compared to medium-sized pets for large meat rabbits.
- It is better if the roof is removable: in this case it is easy to carry out sanitary treatment of each tier.
- In the manufacture of the cell, it is necessary to calculate its size so that one adult fluffy is kept in a separate compartment. The exception is the uterus: it should be kept with rabbits.
- If pets will winter in the rabbitry under the open sky, it is better to lay the floors out of wood immediately. The solid bottom must be secured according to the principle of a pallet so that in which case it can always be easily pulled out. The upper part of the floor is best made from a slatted board with a pitch of 1.6 cm.
- It is much more convenient to clean half-eaten food and dirty water if you make the feeders and drinking bowls removable.
- If you plan to keep the young offspring outside in winter frosts, the farm should have well-insulated walls. This can be done using any heat-insulating material, such as polystyrene. To prevent moisture in the cells due to the insulation, it is hermetically wrapped with food or any other film before installation. Maternity departments must be additionally equipped with a heating system so that the litter on which the female will sit and several of her rabbits will always be at a comfortable temperature.
- Decorative rabbits and representatives of dwarf breeds should make completely different dwellings. In addition, they definitely need an aviary on the ground. Usually small lop-eared fluffies live in beautiful spacious houses where there are comfortable ladders and shelves.
Making your own rabbit home can also teach children to take care of our smaller brothers. You can give the child a brush, let him paint the outer walls of the cell. So he will join the physical labor and become attached to the animal.
Recommendations for the construction of nurseries
If you plan to keep a decorative pet in the apartment, he also needs a cage, but in this case the finished option is preferable to homemade, so instead of looking for information on how to make cages for adorable rabbits with your own hands, it is better to visit the nearest pet store. On sale there are many convenient and beautiful houses for decorative rabbits, which are kept at home as favorite pets. You can choose from those that are relatively inexpensive. For example, ferplast or triol. The corner cage of ferplast rabbit for dwarf decorative rabbits will perfectly decorate any interior.
Choosing one of these houses, you won’t need to rack your brains on how to build a good cage for a fluff and where to get detailed photo instructions for this. In this case, it is also important to cover the house with sawdust or other material, put a feeder and a drinking bowl there and throw branches that love to gnaw animals.