Leaves turn yellow and dry: causes, treatment
The most vulnerable period for a plant is the seedling stage, they are not yet protected and not adapted for independent growth. The fact that the leaves turn yellow in pepper is a very common problem among summer residents.
Pepper leaves turn yellow and dry
In order to protect the plants, you need to follow the basic rules of care. If the peppers are yellowed and grow poorly, as well as the leaves are yellowed and curled or dried, then the correct methods of healing and disease prevention will help save or improve the condition of the vegetable. Peppers are vegetables that are susceptible to changes in temperature, humidity and soil conditions, so you need to constantly monitor all risk factors.
Causes of yellowing leaves in pepper and eggplant
Bushes can turn yellow in a few days, even if the care has been maximized.
The root causes of yellowing of the stem in pepper and eggplant can be various and caused by a number of interdependent factors, but the most common are:
- lack of moisture - these vegetables love moisture, so watering should be regular, especially on hot days;
- waterlogging - plants do not tolerate moisture stagnation, the roots rot from this, which causes twisting and falling of leaves;
- a lack of nitrogen is one of the most important elements that are necessary for the normal growth of plants and if it is not enough, then the vegetables lose their flowering appearance and weaken, and young fruits soon fall off;
- lack of other macro- and micronutrients - if important chemicals are lacking this can manifest itself in the form of yellowing of the leaves or even the entire stem;
- the effect of toxins - if vegetables are planted in the wrong place, then they can be poisoned by toxins from plant predecessors, then the lower or upper leaves turn yellow and fall;
- diseases and pests - the most dangerous late blight, viral mosaic, spotting and spider mite;
- interweaving of the root system and “rivalry” of peppers among themselves - an overly tight fit leads to a lack of fertilizers and resources in some plants and an oversupply in others.
Due to ignorance of these simple reasons, for many, even experienced gardeners, the bushes are yellow, weak and stunted. From non-compliance with the rules for caring for vegetables, flowers and ovaries fall, and after that the harvest of such vegetables is three times less than usual.
Causes of yellowing pepper leaves in a greenhouse
Greenhouse does not protect against yellow leaves
Sometimes it seems that the greenhouse is the most protected place, but summer residents forget about the rules for planting and growing plants, so even there the plants turn yellow and die. But there are a number of reasons that contribute to the development of unhealthy vegetables and their death. Here's what to look for if peppers or eggplant grow in a greenhouse:
- humidity level - since these vegetables are moisture-loving and sharply feel lack of moisture, the best humidity level for peppers and eggplant is 70%, then homemade pepper will be sweet;
- soil composition - if in the land on which peppers grow there is a lack of fertilizer, then the stems almost immediately report this, changing the color of the leaves;
- temperature conditions - even if a constant temperature is maintained in the greenhouse, early planting of seedlings, drafts or slight frosts can affect the condition of plants and damage the delicate upper leaves;
- the presence of fungal or bacterial infections - especially often vegetables in greenhouses or greenhouses affect the black leg, fusarium, verticillosis, septoria, gray rot, late blight;
- parasite invasion - even in safe conditions, plants can be attacked by aphids, a bear, slugs and many other pests that love the green leaves of vegetables.
After the negative influence of all factors, in greenhouses, plants simply can not grow to the right size and give very little yield or not give it at all. Therefore, you need to create the right conditions for growth and good formation of vegetables in greenhouses.
Causes of yellowing of pepper leaves in open ground
If the leaves of bitter, hot, sweet pepper turn yellow or the edges curl, this is the basis to think about improving the conditions for its growth.
The causes of yellowing of pepper leaves are usually the following:
- scarcity or lack of light - it is necessary to choose the place for planting with special care, because these vegetables love sunlight and illuminated areas, and if you plant it in the shade or partial shade, the bushes and leaves will fade and turn yellow;
- excess light - a very strong solar activity will contribute to the early decay of chlorophyll, and plants can turn yellow;
- temporary yellowing due to transplantation - this happens during planting in the ground, due to stress, but with good fertilizers and conditions for growth, this passes;
- fertilizer deficiency - if the plants lack nutrition, the lower leaves turn yellow, and then the whole bush.
If we do not allow the appearance of the above reasons, then the harvest will be larger and better than last year. Compliance with all the rules of care makes it possible to wait for the first fruits a little time after planting.
If sweet pepper leaves turn yellow? To save plants from yellowing and disease, you need to pay attention to risk factors. If the lower or upper leaves have already turned yellow, then special care rules can help:
- Increased watering - if the top layer of the earth is dry and decays, this can provoke the factor that the pepper has turned yellow, it is necessary to irrigate with a small amount of water every 3-4 days;
- Reduced watering - if you overdo it and water the plants every day, then you need to return to the watering regimen every five days;
- Adding macronutrients or balanced fertilizers - you need to purchase an organic fertilizing complex and evenly distribute between the plants in the soil;
- Maintaining an optimal temperature balance - a normal temperature of 25 degrees, and you can’t water the seedlings or already planted peppers or eggplants with cold water, only warm and preferably set to stand still;
- Closing the window with paper sheets or cardboard - if the plants turn yellow at the seedling stage, then at home there is always the opportunity to protect the plants from excess sunlight;
- Spraying from pests - pests can settle in the soil, so you need to spray the bell peppers bushes from time to time with organic solutions that will help strengthen the resistance of plants;
- Proper planting - if possible, then each plant should be placed in a separate pot at a seedling stage, and when planted only in well-lit areas.
Improper care is the very first cause of yellowing of lettuce leaves. Simple rules of prevention and treatment will help to get a quality crop and healthy plants. If you find the right approach to every vegetable, then any bush of pepper will please you with good fruits in a short time.
Various diseases can damage the crop and plants, and you need to know in advance what to do if the pepper turns yellow and young fruits and leaves fall off it. It is necessary to constantly monitor the condition of vegetables, because if the foliage turns yellow or falls off - this is the first bad call and a call to action against pests.
If the peppers turn yellow, grow poorly, the leaves curl, dry, or the fruits do not grow to the desired size, then you need to reconsider the approach to growing vegetables. After all, these cultures are very gentle and the slightest non-compliance with the basic rules of care can ruin all efforts.