Juniper flake Blue Star in garden design
The whole history of mankind is a desire for convenience and beauty. Rock paintings in caves, flowers in the mane of horses, flower beds near the house. Juniper Blue Star is a profitable solution for landscape design: a minimum of effort and time to care, a maximum of decorativeness, long-term (at least 600 years) use and budget savings. Consider all the secrets of planting and growing conifers.
Juniper flake Blue Star in garden design
- Color : in a young plant - turquoise, in an adult - bluish-green.
- Height : no more than 70 cm.
- Crown width : up to 1.5 m in diameter.
- In which regions it grows : in the European part of the Russian Federation, with the exception of the north, in the south of Siberia and in the coastal regions of the Far East. Frost resistance - up to 4 zones.
- Landing features : sunny place, at a distance of at least 1.5 from neighbors.
- Immunity : high to fungal diseases with proper care.
- Life expectancy : more than 600 years.
Juniper is a genus of evergreen coniferous shrubs of the cypress family.
Scaly juniper (squamata juniperus) is a separate species that grows in natural conditions in the mountains of southern China and the Eastern Himalayas. Initially, the distribution area made these plants unpretentious to soils and drought tolerant.
The blue star variety (Blue Star, Blue Star) originates from the shoot mutation found in Holland in the 1950s.
Breeding led to the creation of this hybrid and its appearance on the market in 1964. The color of the needles is pale green with a blue tint. This distinctive feature of the species laid the foundation for a number of “blue” varieties.
Blue Star can be grown in frost resistance zones starting from the 4th. Variety growing regions may be:
- areas of the European part of the country with the exception of the North;
- south of Siberia;
- coastal areas of the Far East.
In colder places, this conifer can be cultivated by covering it for the winter.
Blue star refers to the horizontal species of junipers. The plant has a spherical crown up to 70 cm high. The diameter of the bushes does not exceed one and a half meters. Their growth is about 5 cm per year.
Needles needles, short, prickly, in the cut - like a multi-pointed star. During growth, it releases essential oils and phytoncides. In the color of 7 colors:
- blue with steel tint due to longitudinal silver strips in young shoots;
- turquoise and lilac in winter and autumn;
- green with a bluish tint in adult branches;
- dark blue cone berries.
The intensity of the color depends on the time of year and the duration of the culture in the sun.
The procedure is usually carried out in the spring. However, seedlings with a closed root system from the nursery can be rooted during the entire growing season, but not later than 1 month before the steady frosts.
It is recommended to buy seedlings in nurseries
Juniper, like all conifers, is an expensive seedling. If you want to save money, you can buy it in natural roadside markets. But the result is unpredictable.
If you are not rich enough to buy cheap things, then your path is to a specialized nursery. There you will receive comprehensive advice on planting, care and pest protection.
And also get a healthy varietal plant in a container with the most suitable soil, seasoned with long-playing fertilizer for conifers, i.e. save time, nerves and money.
If there are no such nurseries nearby, and you are already ripe for changing the landscape of your summer cottage, then follow the rules when choosing a seedling.
- Root system: unambiguously - closed. Pull the seedling lightly. If they planted him just before the sale, he sways and is easily taken out of the ground. It is optimal if the roots sprout from the holes of the container;
- Crohn - varietal coloring. Blue Star has a greenish-bluish color. Rub the tips of the shoots with wet fingers: the needles sprayed before selling will paint your hands. Leave such a sapling to the seller, let him continue to admire it;
- The presence of pests. No web, bugs, spiders, worms should be neither on the surface nor in the depths of the needles. Otherwise, you are tormented to heal;
- The same with diseases. Sluggish crumbling crown allegedly due to the fact that they forgot to water before the sale - this is not your choice!
Take these recommendations seriously. Consider in advance the possible costs of money and time for the treatment of such instances and everything will become clear. And this is despite the fact that any change of residence, even for a healthy plant, is stress!
What is most suitable for Blue Star? There are few requirements, but they are significant:
- Good lighting. The lack of sunlight, and especially ultraviolet radiation, leads to the fact that the needles lose their blue tint;
- Lack of groundwater at the roots. If the roots are constantly in the water, the juniper can pick up fungal diseases. Remember where he came from? From the mountains, not from the swamp!
- The distance to the nearest neighbors is at least 1.5 m. Plant closer - do not wait for the juniper in a stylish form;
- Inaccessibility for children. The juniper has beautiful gray berries, but they are very poisonous. Explain to the children how dangerous they are, or better, let the Blue Star be away from the playground.
The dimensions of the planting hole should be 15-20% more than the volume of the earthen coma of the seedling. Next, follow the algorithm.
- On clay soil, make drainage of expanded clay or pebbles 10-15 cm thick.
- On top of it, pour 20 cm of a substrate consisting of equal parts of the earth, sand and peat.
- Pour 0.5 buckets of water. Wait until the water is almost completely absorbed.
- Carefully remove the seedling with the ZKS from the pot or container and place it in the pit.
- Fill the substrate, trying to keep the root neck at ground level.
- Compact the soil around the plant ..
- Make borders around the crown.
- Pour another 0.5 buckets of water.
If you still dare to buy a seedling with an open root system, then before planting, soak it in a root solution in accordance with the instructions on the package.
Landing is best done after 17 hours, when the sun is not so hot, but optimally - on a cloudy day. And priten seedling for several days. So he will survive stress faster.
Juniper health depends on proper care
Juniper Blue star is not capricious and does not require the expenditure of effort and time. But there are operations that need to be done.
In summer, in the absence of rainfall, 3 irrigation per season is sufficient. In this case, a single portion of water is 1 bucket per bush. If it is very hot - sprinkling, 1-2 times per season.
A full range of mineral fertilizers is applied in the second year of planting, in the spring, during the period of plant awakening. Reduce the dose of nitrogen, as it will cause sprouting and loss of round shape. Optimal - the introduction of special fertilizers "For conifers."
Mulching and loosening the soil
Loosening is necessary for aeration of the roots, it is carried out 2-3 times during the summer. This ensures the vital activity of microorganisms located in the earth, living in symbiosis with the plant. Weeds are removed at the same time (they can be a hotbed of pests).
Mulching inhibits weed growth and crust formation. It is enough to spend 1 time in the summer. As mulch, you can use wood chips, sawdust, coniferous litter, peat.
Haircut and trim
Blue Star does not need a shaping haircut.
Sanitary pruning of shrubs is carried out in the spring. Dry, damaged, diseased branches are removed from plants.
Here, too, everything is simple and fast. Young juniper needs care, an adult copes well even with frosts up to 30 degrees. And most importantly, Blue Star is not afraid of spring burns.
- With the onset of negative temperatures, the roots are insulated with a 10-centimeter layer of peat.
- The branches are tied with a rope or ribbon so that they do not break under the weight of the snow.
- Very young seedlings are covered with fir spruce branches, which simultaneously protected the young needles from burns of the bright spring sun. Then you can cover it with agrofibre, and over it a plant is tied with a nylon cord.
Of course, everyone wants to create an array of junipers. Moreover, there are no worries and troubles with him, but the beauty is extraordinary. But alas ...
The Blue Star variety cannot be propagated by seeds - in this case, it loses its decorative qualities.
But there is another way: there are two vegetative methods for propagating conifers:
At the age of three, the plant can be planted in the ground
Cuttings are shoots with buds that are cut together with a piece of stem bark (heel), where the shoot grew from. Plants with a minimum age of 5 years are suitable for harvesting cuttings. The event is held in late April - early May.
- Cuttings 10-15 cm long are cleaned of needles in the lower part, placed on a day in a growth stimulator.
- Rooted in containers with a mixture of peat and sand. Before the roots appear, they are kept at a temperature of 20 ° C for a month and a half, regularly watering and spraying. To avoid accidental drying out, seedlings should be covered with a transparent cap or a mini-greenhouse built.
- Then the plants can be transplanted into flower pots and grow at home for up to 3 years, and then rooted in a permanent place. Another option - immediately rooting in open ground. This implies reliable protection against winter cold.
The procedure with cuttings is quite troublesome. Growing layering is much easier and more reliable.
To do this, a shallow groove is made near the bush, the middle of the branch is pressed to the bottom with metal brackets and sprinkled with a fertile substrate.
It is also important here to constantly maintain wet soil in the area of the buried part.
It takes from six months to a year to root a rooted branch. Then the cuttings are cut from the bush and transplanted to a permanent place.
Diseases and Pests
Juniper, like all conifers, is little susceptible to disease. The main danger for it is fungal diseases, such as:
- brown gray mold (Schütte);
- biorell cancer;
All these misfortunes provoke excessive soil moisture and thickened plantings. A large number of fungicides are on sale.
The most common way to fight fungi is with solutions of copper salts. Usually, this is copper sulfate or Bordeaux mixture.
Of modern means, phytosporin is effective, which also leaves no traces on the crown. Spraying plants must be carried out 1 time in 7 days until a complete solution to the problem.
Among the pests of culture noted:
- spider mite;
- scale shield.
But there are no special problems - modern insecticides easily cope with these insects. The main thing is to notice the threat in time and take measures.
These creatures breed in warm, dry weather. We saw cobwebs - pour juniper with water, preferably by sprinkling (a couple of times), treat with insecticides - and you will be happy.
Use in landscape design
We pass to the most pleasant - the creation of beauty in the garden.
This scaly juniper is so plastic and spectacular that even beginners can make stunning paintings around their home. A group of conifers of different colors and different heights will look ideal, in the foreground of which is Blue Star.
Of course, professional designers will create more refined compositions with this blue plant. They like to combine it with:
- low onion;
- ground cover flowering plants;
- in the center of a perfect lawn;
- at the foot of an alpine hill.
Gardeners note the unpretentiousness of juniper Blue Star, they like that in a short time and little effort you can create stylish compositions that do not require constant care.
Many emit such a positive quality as resistance to diseases and pests. They also believe that culture does not attract bees and bumblebees.
But the most enthusiasm for landscapes is that modern designs cannot be realized without the participation of conifers, especially the original color, which changes its color depending on the time of year and light intensity.
Among the shortcomings, summer residents note acidification of the soil by juniper, although not to the same extent as firs and pines. As well as the danger of poisonous berries for children.
For the South of Russia, the problem may be excessive air dryness, which the conifer does not tolerate very well due to increased evaporation of moisture.