Introduction of an orange to a child’s diet
A child from a very early age gets acquainted with many new products for himself. Particular attention is paid to the variety of fresh vegetables and fruits that can cause an unexpected reaction. It is important to determine how and when to introduce fresh foods, especially citrus fruits, into the diet. It is required to know for sure when to give an orange to a child.
Introduction of an orange to a child’s diet
Useful properties of orange
Orange is a common member of the citrus group. Its fruits attract attention with its bright color, strong aroma and sweet taste.
Citrus is rich in various chemical and biological active elements that determine its usefulness and nutrition.
The orange contains:
- Fiber and pectin. They perform the function of cleaning the intestines from toxins, improve the digestion process. This is a good prevention of constipation, disorders. Thanks to these components, the appetite increases.
- Glucose, fructose, vitamins of groups A, B, C. A large content of these beneficial substances supports the general condition of the body. In oranges, potassium and magnesium compounds are present in greater quantities than in any other citrus fruits. Volatile and citric acid strengthen the immune system, normalize the work of internal organs.
- Biotin. It improves carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, supports the condition of hair, nails and skin. Orange juice is able to retain calcium in the body of the child, and this trace element is necessary for the construction of the skeleton. Citric acid works as a cleaner for accumulated nitrate and nitrite compounds.
Along with the benefits, oranges can have an undesirable effect on the human body.
This is especially true for children, because their body is still weak and not ready for the action of some strong and chemical-rich substances. Citrus is a strong allergen, because intolerance to its components is a contraindication to its use in any form.
High acid content negatively affects the gastrointestinal tract. It is not recommended to eat orange pulp and drink juice from it for violations such as gastritis, pancreatitis, a stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer. Diabetes mellitus is also a contraindication for eating fruit. Acid negatively affects tooth enamel, especially in children, softening and destroying it.
For kids, an orange is dangerous by the manifestation of a strong allergic reaction. Its manifestation is a rash, redness on the skin of the face, hands, abdomen, upset stomach, swelling of the upper respiratory tract, shortness of breath. The causes of allergies can be:
- hereditary predisposition;
- autoimmune diseases;
- immaturity of the intestinal tract and stomach;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- the use of oranges in large quantities during pregnancy;
- adverse ecology.
Sometimes a strong negative reaction to the fruit forces you to completely abandon making it in the child’s diet. In this case, it is possible to replace oranges with other products with a high content of vitamin C: herbs, Brussels sprouts, berries. As a substitute, a decoction of rose hips is also used.
Orange in the diet of a child
You can give your baby an orange from nine months
The introduction of citrus begins in the period of milk feeding.
- After about the 3rd month of a baby’s life, a nursing mother eats half the fruit without skin and film. After breastfeeding, she should monitor the reaction of the baby's body over the next 5 hours. If you do not see any external signs and the child does not cry due to pain in the tummy, it is allowed to use this fruit in half 1-2 times a week.
- Independently eat an orange baby is capable of 9 months of age. He is given a half wedge, peeled from the skin and film. It is better to do this in the morning, after breakfast, so that there is time to track the body's reaction to the product. With a positive response, a new portion can be increased by half a wedge. There are no clear restrictions, a baby with a healthy appetite will determine the amount of goodies himself. A child is allowed to eat a whole orange at the age of 5-6 years, but not more often 2-3 times a week.
- Sometimes pulp juice diluted with boiled chilled water in a ratio of 1: 1 is served. It is better that it is freshly squeezed and consumed after eating. Giving juice for the first time is better in an amount of no more than ½ tsp. Also practiced mixing juices: orange with carrot or apple. For children under 6 years old, juice is served in an amount of 30-50 ml, in 7-10 years, the portion is increased to 70-100 ml.
- If the baby is diagnosed with diathesis, the introduction of the fruit is delayed until the end of the first year of life. In the presence of a severe allergic reaction in the form of asthma or dermatitis, all citrus fruits are excluded from the diet until the 3rd year of life. During the first test of citrus, it is not recommended to introduce any new food in order to track the response specifically to the orange.
- Peel is used in food only after the child is 6 years old. Such a restriction exists for safety reasons, because the peel of any citrus can accumulate harmful chemicals from the environment. Orange peel is rich in volatile, but it must be used carefully and in small quantities in the baby’s diet.
A selection of oranges for children
The most successful option for kids are sweet varieties with a slight sour taste.
Such oranges are most often brought from Spain, the Mediterranean, and the coast of the island of Sicily. To choose ripe oranges of good quality, pay attention to the following:
- The color of the fetus includes shades from orange-red to greenish. A green tint is not always a sign of immaturity. This is a sign that the bright fruits sang in a sunny area, and lighter in the shade.
- A sign of ripeness is the weight of the fetus. An orange that has a large weight at the same size as the rest will be ripe. Also the main sign of maturity is a strong characteristic aroma.
- Usually sweet oranges are small. The thickness of the skin does not affect maturity and taste, this is only a sign of the variety. Umbilical oranges (navel-shaped) are an ideal fruit for babies: they are sweet, they have a lot of juice and often lack seeds.
Recipes for children's dishes with orange
A child over three years old can make a salad
Citrus fruit is called a universal product. It is able to complement almost any dish and is combined with many other fruits and vegetables, as well as meat and cheeses. Children are served oranges peeled, film and pitted.
This dish is served to a child from 3 years. To do this, finely chop a few orange slices, 5 grapes, 2-3 strawberries or 4-5 raspberries, half an apple. It is better to fill the salad with yogurt or lemon juice diluted with water.
An orange salad is also being prepared in another version, which includes chicken fillet or boiled fish, boiled carrots, some potatoes, hard-boiled chicken eggs. The dressing is olive or sunflower oil, kefir, but not mayonnaise.
Orange desserts are suitable for babies from 1 year. The pulp of 2 oranges is divided into separate fibers, 2 carrots are finely rubbed. The ingredients are mixed together, add a spoonful of raisins and sour cream. Serve without sugar.
Another dessert is served for babies from 2 years. To prepare it, soften 100 g of boiled pumpkin, finely chop half a citrus, add a spoonful of yogurt or sour cream. The ingredients are mixed add cherry or other berry syrup.
Jam and candied fruit
Jam is given to children from 3 years. It consists of oranges: only pulp or peeled fruits, berries and fruits, sometimes even vegetables (pumpkin, carrots). Jam, cooked in a short time on fire, will retain more nutrients. He is often taken as the basis of homemade fruit drinks.
Candied fruits are also suitable for older children. They are made from orange peel with added sugar. For children with diabetes or weight problems, a similar product is prohibited.
Orange is a healthy product rich in vitamins and minerals. At the same time, it is necessary to remember portions if children eat it. It is important to choose good-quality fruits to prevent health problems in babies. When severe allergic reactions occur, they immediately consult a doctor.