Interesting facts about Melon Pumpkin
Melon pumpkin is one of the best large-fruited varieties. He is not picky about his care, perfectly preserved and has a great taste.
Interesting facts about Melon Pumpkin
Melon is considered a mid-season variety. The plant is creeping, long-climbing, the peduncle is round, cylindrical in shape. The stem is without furrows, and the leaves are pentagonal.
The first fruits begin to ripen within 100-110 days after germination and continue until the first frost.
Fruits are round and large (25-30 kg), with a slightly pronounced ribbing, slightly flattened.
The culture is unpretentious, tolerates cold and drought equally well. The bushes survive a cold snap to -2 ° C.
The fruits are very sweet. Sugar content sometimes reaches 15%, which is even more than in a watermelon. Their peculiarity is melon aftertaste.
Some factors influence the amount of sugar:
- soil composition;
- amount of hot sunny days;
- frequency and abundance of watering;
- frequency of fertilizing fertilizers.
The pulp boils for a long time, it is juicy and aromatic, it is used in the preparation of baby food and juices. Peel of orange color, white seeds.
Pumpkin is considered an unpretentious crop, but there are still certain points that must be considered in order to get a good harvest.
- Before planting, you can soak the seeds in water for 1-2 days, so that they germinate faster. A special solution of potassium permanganate or a liquid complex fertilizer is also suitable. Then cover with a damp cloth and make sure that it does not dry.
- It is important to fertilize the earth well. In advance, in the fall, you can lay compost in the ground at the place where it is planned to plant a pumpkin in the spring or put warm beds. The more organics, the more abundant the crop. During the period of growth and development, it is necessary to periodically feed the plants with humus, mineral fertilizers, wood ash.
- Plant seeds in warm soil. The approximate dates are mid-end of May. Although this type of pumpkin is cold-resistant, the seeds will not be able to germinate in frozen cold ground.
- It will be nice if on a selected place before this grew onions, legumes or tomatoes, and next you can plant beans, potatoes or cucumbers.
- All pumpkin people love sunlight, so it would be the right decision to plant it in well-lit areas where there are no strong gusts of wind. An ideal place near the fence or the south wall of the house.
- Overmoistening of the soil is not welcome, so it is important to choose a place where there is no rainwater stagnation.
When grown on trellises, the plant gets a lot of light
Vertical trellises are a great way to grow pumpkins. To place it is on the south side of the house or fence, for better illumination of plants.
Wells are dug at a distance of 50 cm and put 2-3 seeds or a sprout is planted if planting is done by seedlings. A stake is placed near each hole and a cord is tied to it, the other end of which is pulled to the roof of the house or to the top of the fence. The main stalk is sent down the cord.
2 ovaries should be left on each of the plants, pinching the growth points. Side shoots without fruit are completely cut out, and the lower ones are cut.
The description of this method shows that with such a cultivation, many advantages can be distinguished:
- good lighting;
- small area occupied by plants;
- plants give a shadow to the wall of the house, which in the hot summer helps to keep cool;
- due to the increased shadow area created by large leaves of pumpkin, moisture evaporates more slowly.
The description indicates: The cultivation of Melon pumpkin is quite simple, it easily tolerates drought and short-term frosts up to -2 ° C. Many diseases that other varieties are susceptible to are bypassed.
It must be remembered that pumpkin loves sunny areas without drafts, a lot of fertilizer and plentiful watering. Given these factors, you can grow crops to fame.