How to transplant Benjamin's ficus at home
The transplantation of ficus Benjamin requires the florist to maximize concentration and clarity of the actions performed. This flower is unique for its amazing genetics, so it adapts to the new climate and soil conditions in a minimum amount of time. If a gardener aims to achieve good results in growing plants at home, then it is important for him to follow certain instructions, which involves some points regarding care: timely transplantation of an ornamental plant into a new convenient pot and soil (substrate).
Ficus Benjamin transplant at home
Observing these simple conditions, a person will be able to observe how Benjamin's ficus will grow and change, achieving the expected results over several years.
Preliminary preparation of the plant
Most inexperienced florists or just housewives are not able to figure out how to properly transplant Benjamin's ficus. This procedure is performed annually. During this time period, the root system of the plant increases significantly in size, so the pot in which it is planted will already be small, in addition to this, the substrate loses all the useful components (in professional terminology this process is called “depletion”), and this only slows down the growth process hardwood mass. If the flower develops more than 3-4 years, then a transplant at home can be done once every few years, and not like before, annually.
Ficus is in an inert state (rest) in autumn and winter, so the end of spring (May) - the beginning of the summer period (June) is described by competent florists as the ideal time for transplanting the plant into new soil and a new container.
In fact, this time can be called the most favorable, because the flower's metabolic processes are accelerated, so it will overcome all the difficulties that arise after the transplantation (transshipment) of ficus to a new convenient and much larger pot. In addition, due to the maximum activity of sunlight, the duration of daylight hours is much longer, and therefore the plant is strengthened in new soil much faster.
Another important point in the whole process is which pot to transplant. The root system should be well rooted until the moment the plant goes into a dormant phase. This nuance determines the correct, and most importantly, proper nutrition of the tree in the “inert” period, when the metabolic process simply slows down.
Basic conditions for choosing a container for ficus
- A good pot bought in a floristic or other specialty store is suitable for transplanting ficus Benjamin.
- The diameter and high capacity should be slightly larger than that of the predecessor (by a few sentiments) so that the Benjamin flower does not feel discomfort in the new development conditions.
- At the bottom there should be gaps that will perform several specific functions: removal (runoff) of excess water, aeration of the soil (substrate).
- Before transplanting, you must carefully treat the pot with a disinfectant. Hot boiled water or formalin solution perfectly copes with this task.
- The first layer of soil is called drainage, and it consists of crushed brick. Experienced flower growers know that this ball is 10-20% of the total volume.
The substrate for the flower also needs to be prepared in advance. A video on how to really create the soil for this plant can be found in the public domain in the public domain. Earth (substrate) consists of:
The ratio of these components is 2: 4. If the soil is represented by several species (turf and leaf), then the proportion does not change, but only 1/4 is added. After all the balls have been laid and the soil mixture can be called finished, it is best to additionally treat it with a weak solution of potassium permanganate or simply boiled hot water. This condition is really necessary, because in this way all the nascent harmful organisms are killed, plus the activity of viruses is suppressed, and this indicates that the grower does not have to be afraid of a sick plant. Another good result of this procedure is that the soil is saturated with water, is clearly structured and at the time of transplanting the tree at home, the soil will serve as an aid to complete the adaptation period of the flower more quickly.
It is not difficult to transplant Benjamin's decorative ficus if you follow the instructions step by step. If after buying a small sprout you transplant it into the ground, then you need to know the level of acidity of the soil.
It may not correspond to the optimal indicator, and this is fraught with the fact that the tree will not normally absorb all the useful substances it needs, which are in the substrate. This greatly affects not only the general condition of the plant, but also its subsequent development. It was established that an acceptable pH level fluctuates in the region of 5-6, it is this indicator that must be adhered to whenever substrate changes occur.
Highlights of the Ficus Transplant Process
In order to produce the front end of plants with a well-developed root system, the method of “transshipment” is used. The flower is most carefully transferred from one pot to another, but with all this, the earthen lump that forms around the root does not collapse. Anyone can transplant at home in this way, even someone who does not have deep knowledge on the topic. The method itself has several advantages:
- Minimal stress for ficus.
- Change or addition of new components.
Before you begin, you must watch the training video. So a person will see which rules require full compliance, and which can still be neglected.
- Preparation of tools: wooden spatulas, sticks. It is likely that the flower is too large, in this scenario, one florist can not cope with the situation, then another person is needed. So that the earth does not crumble, thereby injuring the root system - the day before the start of transshipment, ficus is well poured with water.
- The first step during the procedure is to carefully remove the tree from the old container. If in the process the lump of earth does not move away from the walls of the pot, then you need to tap on the back with your hand. If this does not help, push the ground through drainage slots using a wooden stick.
- Diagnosis and full inspection of the roots. If the gardener does not notice rotten areas, the roots look healthy and have a normal shade, there are no obstacles to the procedure. If there are foci of the disease, then they are washed from the ground and removed.
- The soil itself is supplemented and modified. The drainage material is being cleaned, but the top layer is previously removed.
- Next is the measurement of capacity, this is done in order to check how well the new ficus pot fits. Measurements are performed with a small tape measure or ruler. If the height of the pot does not fit the ficus, this problematic situation is solved by pouring a new drainage layer. You need to look at the situation: if a lot, then reduce, if not enough, then add to make up for the required amount. The main thing is to see that the root neck of the flower is 2.5-3.5 cm below the rim of the container. After the drainage layer, the prepared soil is often covered with some useful additives, and all this is slightly compacted.
- If there are voids in the pot above, then they can be supplemented with soil mixture. If the globe is very dry, then it must be watered. The planning of subsequent transshipments is based on the state of the substrate and the flower itself. There are several correctly signaling indicators that indicate that it is time to transplant - compaction (lumps) and subsequent acidification of the soil, the lack of development of a decorative tree, and if the roots are clearly visible through the soil or lower (drainage) cracks. In order to guarantee Benjamin's ficus a good condition, between the transshipments you can change the very first layer of the substrate or additionally feed it with useful substances and trace elements.
Tree Care General Points
If a dilemma has arisen in front of the grower, how to transplant Benjamin's ficus, there is only one solution: look for additional information. It is necessary to pay attention that after performing the necessary maneuvers, this plant needs well-organized care. Initially, it is placed in a replaced room for a couple of days. This is necessary to complete the adaptation of the root system faster. After the appointed time, the ficus is returned to where it was taken from.
Watering is allowed for the first time after 2-3 days. But in the future, it is not necessary to create an accurate schedule of flower irrigation, if it is clear that the earth is sufficiently dried up. This shows that it is time to add moisture to the soil.
Another point regarding care: ficus does not like low temperatures, so you should make sure that the soil does not overcool, or vice versa. The acceptable minimum is 15-16 ° C, the maximum is 27-30 ° C. If the environment changes and exceeds performance, the plant will die.
A flower with variegated leaf color requires an increased level of lighting, monotonous species need more partial shade and some light diffusion. In summer, the crown is sprayed with boiled or purified water several times a week. This type of water does not leave white streaks on the plant, since it does not contain heavy chemical compounds and salts.
Preventive measures for plant conservation
When a plant grows and develops, there are situations when a grower should provide him with quick help. The cause of this condition may be the development of the disease. The main types of diseases that are exposed to ficus:
- Cercosporosis. The characteristic symptoms of this condition are as follows: dark spots appear on the back of the leaves, therefore yellowing begins and after a certain amount of time the leaf completely fades.
- Botritis. If a white hue appears on the foliage, then the ficus is exposed to this disease. The main reason is excessive watering.
- Anthracnosis suggests the appearance of brownish spots and dry leaves.
All diseases have one common reason: not enough good care. This may be a lack of moisture, poor-quality or improperly created lighting, violation of the general temperature background.
Treatment involves circumcision of the affected parts, after which the flower is transferred to another room separately from the rest. The flower grower must observe the foliage. It will be the main indicator of a normal, healthy state when growing a plant in comfortable conditions.
The foliage falls or dries, then the flower needs additional irrigation, the air in the room is too dry, and this negatively affects the general condition. From such a situation, spraying the leaves saves.
If only the lower leaves from the tree disappear, then this is a normal phenomenon, showing that the flower is developing.
If they are planted and twisted, then this indicates that the plant is very cold and it freezes. The solution to this problem is as follows: you need to remove Benjamin's ficus away from large windows and walls and, if possible, try to increase the ambient temperature.
If the young plants have very small leaves, the flower needs to be fertilized. For this, the florist visits the store, where they will tell him what additives can be used for this purpose.
Inspect the ficus periodically for pests. Insects in a short time can completely destroy the plant. It is not possible to eliminate them on their own, the solution to the problem will be the use of insecticidal drugs.