How to store potatoes in the apartment and in the house
Experienced gardeners are sure that for proper storage of vegetables, it is necessary to strictly observe the temperature regime and humidity in the place of intended storage. It is because of the correct observance of the conditions that many gardeners manage to preserve the crop for a sufficiently long period of time, and some people even boast of a perfectly preserved crop in late spring. If you have your own plot with vegetable planting, then every gardener needs to know how to store potatoes in the apartment. Potato vegetable is finicky, especially when stored for a long period, so the storage of your potatoes at home should be carried out according to all requirements in compliance with the recommended temperature.
Potato storage in the apartment and in the house
Where can I store potatoes in the apartment?
Where and how to store potatoes in the apartment correctly so that it does not germinate and retains its useful properties and presentation for the whole year? Each house and kitchen has its own special place where potatoes will be well stored. Potatoes can be stored at home, in the basement of an apartment building, in a garage, in a summer cottage, on the balcony of an apartment or in the corridor vestibule. Potato fruits are most sensitive to low and high temperatures.
At minus temperatures, the tubers instantly freeze, while at an increased, in a short period of time, the processes of decay begin or sprouts appear, after which the shelf life is significantly reduced. These are not the only negative consequences of improper storage. Drying of the fruits or their greening may also be observed. In order to avoid the above problems, it is necessary to create and maintain favorable, comfortable conditions for the preservation of the keeping quality of vegetables in winter.
Storage in a country cellar
The advantage of the cellar is that it can constantly maintain the recommended temperature, in the range of about 3-5 degrees, regardless of whether the window is hot summer or cold winter.
- Every year, before lowering the vegetables, with a two-time repetition and an interval of 8-12 days, it is necessary to treat the premises with a solution of sodium chloride 150 gr, slaked lime 2 kg, sulphate 1 kg and water 10 l.
- Before leaving vegetables for storage, you need to install a ventilation system.
- The more often you air the cellar, the better it affects the vegetables.
Before you remove the potatoes in the cellar, a prerequisite is sorting the tubers. It is necessary to remove damaged fruits, as well as tubers with sores. A disease that has struck such fruits can also absorb healthy tubers and ultimately the entire crop will die. Before starting storage, tubers should dry in a well-ventilated place, preferably outdoors, but most importantly in the shade. Following the above rules, potato tubers will not rot in the cellar.
Under no circumstances and in no case should you leave the potatoes in the cellar in bags. Storage can only be done in wooden crates, with wide slots, for natural air circulation. Pre-treat the boxes with potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate) to kill small parasites and pathogens, and then dry them.
It is important what material the floor in the cellar is covered with. For this purpose, it is best to use boards or beams, if there is neither one nor the other, then sawdust is perfect. Potatoes are laid in a low layer, up to 1.5 m in the cellar, wrapped in burlap. Avoid direct sunlight on the fruit if you keep the cellar open. When light sources get on the potato tubers, the natural process of photosynthesis is launched, thereby creating a harmful poison - solanine. Therefore, sorting through the crop, it is also necessary to harvest green fruits, because it is strictly forbidden to eat them.
Storage in the vestibule
The tambour will provide good keeping quality of vegetables
How to store potatoes in the porch of the porch? People whose childhood was spent in communal apartments remember very well those very huge wooden boxes along long corridors, locked on heavy barn locks. That is how many people left the whole harvest all winter.
Pros of storing tubers in the vestibule
- In the corridor (entrance) it is always cool, due to drafts from the open window panes, but nevertheless, the temperature in the vestibule in front of the apartment is much higher than on the street. Thus, the ideal temperature is achieved for the preservation and good keeping quality of vegetables.
- Food stocks nearby, no need to go anywhere or go, which is very convenient for a modern person.
- No special equipment and devices are required.
Cons of vestibule storage
- The weather on the street often changes and as a result, constant temperature differences appear in the entrance, and this, as you know, can lead to spoilage of fruits, the beginning of rotting or drying out.
- For storing the entire season, this method is only suitable in case of a good variety and a successful harvest. When the potatoes are dug up, the tubers go into a state of physiological rest, this period lasts about 80 days and the tubers are not able to germinate even at a temperature of 19 degrees. But after this period of time, even under all conditions, by the middle of March, and sometimes already in the middle of February, seedlings appear.
- This method also has another feature - the smell is spread, not everyone will like it, problems may arise with neighbors, or dishonest people may like your property.
Storage on the balcony
One of the best equipment for storing tubers on the balcony is wooden crates. They are not expensive, you can make it yourself, the tree has low heat conductivity. The right question arises: how does this storage method differ from the storage method in the cellar? The main difference in the design of the drawers themselves, the drawers on the balcony need to be knocked together so that there are no gaps or gaps between the racks. Also, for insulation (if the balcony is not insulated and does not have glass), you can use polystyrene or even an old unnecessary blanket. You can also use a straw layer to protect against moisture.
Advantages of this method
Potatoes can be saved until mid-spring
- Regardless of the time of year, a constant temperature is maintained that is optimal for the preservation of vegetable fruits.
- Easy to control and maintain humidity.
- With this method, tubers are likely to lie not only all winter, but also most of spring.
Negative side storage of tubers on the balcony
- Night frosts can reach -30 degrees, in which case the fruits can freeze and begin to rot. If the temperature on the contrary is too warm, the taste of the tubers will be lost.
- In the absence of ventilation, there is a high probability that decay processes can begin in the fruits.
For better preservation of fruits on the balcony, direct sunlight should be prevented from entering vegetables. Many gardeners give many tips to increase the shelf life of fruits on the balcony. Experienced gardeners are advised to add wormwood or elderberry brooms, onion husks to the boxes with tubers, pour ash, chalk or put mint leaves in the boxes. If you apply some tricks, then the favorable period of keeping fruits on the balcony will last until spring.
A person is used to storing all products in a refrigerator or in freezers, what could be better, because it is so convenient and familiar.
- Stable, in manual mode, you can maintain temperature and humidity.
- No additional equipment and disinfection required.
- Due to natural processes, potatoes that are stored in the refrigerator for a long time acquire a sweetish taste. This is because starch begins to turn into sugar.
Cons of storing potatoes in the refrigerator
- Only a very small amount can be saved, since the volume of the refrigerator is very limited.
- Also, there is no general opinion on what exactly to store potatoes in a plastic bag or in mesh bags. Many people store tubers in paper bags, but all of these types of packaging entail additional costs.
- In the refrigerator storage of fruits is allowed no more than - 10-12 days.
Storage in the apartment
This method is one of the most unreliable. But despite its insecurity, most gardeners store potatoes in the apartment. The apartment is not suitable for storage because it is constantly at a high temperature for the crop, equal to almost tropical conditions. Therefore, the maximum time that a vegetable can lie in such conditions is 14 days, and then the crop will begin to rot and dry, after which it will become unsuitable for cooking.
Varieties that lead in storage duration
How long the fruits can maintain their appearance and useful qualities depends on the variety of tubers. Of course, leave tubers for the whole winter, it is recommended only medium and late varieties.
No matter how long the fetus is still, this fact does not guarantee that the tubers will lie at least until mid-late April. In addition to the good keeping quality of the variety, it is necessary to provide the fruits with proper conditions and, if possible, place the entire crop not in one place, but in different. You can do this: leave one part of the crop in the cellar, and the other part on the balcony. In this case, the probability of preserving the harvest in winter will be much higher.