How to make bottle and plywood quail feeders
Why spend money on quail feeders in stores if there is no big problem in making them yourself? Breeding poultry is an already expensive task: equipping a poultry house, if necessary - an incubator, food, vitamins, treatment costs, and finally, buying the pets themselves.
DIY quail feeders
Varieties of feeders
Quail - unclean birds, constantly scatter food in the cage. As a result, cells have to be constantly cleaned. Is it possible to save energy and remove dirt, albeit regularly, but not daily? There is only one way out: choose a feeder exactly for the age of the pet.
- The bunker quail feeder is made for adults who have switched completely to dry food. It attaches to the outside of the cell, but there are options for the inside. In stores you can find a more expensive advanced bunker feeder. It is equipped with a timer and a dispenser, automatically pours a certain amount of feed per day. If you urgently need to leave the house for a couple of days without the owner's eye, this is it. Also, a car feeder is needed on large farms.
- Grooves are designed for adult birds and young animals, they can fill various feeds. Most models are attached to the outside, so each quail should have an average of 40 mm of approach.
- Tray. A trough feeder is made for the smallest birds. They are installed inside the cell, one type of feed is poured. The design is convenient in that the chicks are not able to climb inside and scatter food.
- At the location of the feeder can be suspended or located on the floor.
What should be the feeders
A do-it-yourself quail feeder, made or bought in a store, must meet the requirements:
- The size of the quail feeders should be large enough to accommodate the feed, and a little larger so that food from them does not spill out and the birds can not spread it on the floor. It is necessary to take into account the size of the cell.
- The material for the manufacture must be environmentally friendly, non-toxic, such that it is easy to clean, for example, stainless steel and plastic. A quail trough is made from a profile for suspended ceilings and even from a plumbing pipe. The only rule: materials are selected in terms of safety for pets. It is very easy for birds to injure themselves against sharp corners.
- Beads of medium height, not too low or high.
- The owner can easily remove and clean the ideal tray, for its part, and it should be convenient for use by birds.
- The bird takes a space of 11 mm near the tray. When calculating the size of the feeder, it is important to consider this point.
Plastic hopper feeder
The simplest feeder is made of plastic bottles. It will take 1 or 2 large 2 liter plastic bottles and a knife.
- The capacity must be cut into 2 parts. At the bottom of the bottle, cut round holes with a diameter sufficient to allow the birds to stick their heads in.
- Inside the bottom of the bottle with the neck down, place the upper part, while the neck should not reach the bottom.
The design is simple, just look at the photo to fully understand the principle of its creation. It works almost like an automatic feeder for hungry quails. The food is poured into the top of the bottle, it is poured through the neck onto the “pan”. Feathered, sticking their heads into the holes, peck the food. As the space in the pallet becomes free, the grain gradually spills into it through the neck.
Unlike metal or plywood, the bottle is not so reliable, albeit simple. Other do-it-yourself quail feeder designs are harder to create than a plastic bottle model, but patience and labor will rub everything.
Drawings are the key to success. Before embarking on the manufacture of a quail feeder, drawings must be made. It’s best to carefully review the video process before starting work. The advantage of the design is reliability compared to the model of plastic containers. You will need a CD60 profile, 2 chipboard, plywood (or plastic sheet, fiberboard), sealant and tools. The material can be used almost any that fell under the arm. If there are pieces of laminate in the workshop, they will do. The main thing is that the product should not be made exclusively of “soft” material.
- Cut the profile and make bends along the edges. Dimensions depend on the number of pets and the size of the cage.
- Cut 2 side parts from plywood, the bottom side of which should be the same width as the profile. The shape of the details resembles the number 7 or boots. At the profile, dull the sidewall so that the birds do not injure themselves, and adjust the side parts to it.
- The front and rear parts should be the same height with the side “boots”. With the help of tools: self-tapping screws, screws - to connect all the details into a single whole.
- It's time to move on to the “cosmetic” amendments. Use a sealant to fill all the slots that have been noticed so that the grain does not spill out. Remove all unnecessary with a knife.
Everything, you can breathe a sigh of relief: the quail feeder is made with your own hands and efficiently. It remains to install it on a bird cage.
From profile PP
Of what materials do inventive owners make homemade feeding troughs for their favorite quails! Pipes, bottles - everything that is on the desktop or what can be found in a hardware store is used. In the latter, poultry farmers purchase PP profiles, meticulously selecting the highest quality and rejecting thin ones.
- Calculate the required size of the feeder. Cut a piece of profile, its length should be the same as the length of the cage for keeping birds.
- Cut side parts from plywood, their sizes are calculated according to the size of the PP, they can be higher than the profile so that the feed does not fall out.
- Bend the bent edges of the PP and connect it to the plywood walls, hammer with nails.
- Nail attachment to the cage.
This is all that needs to be done in order to create a bunker feeder. A detailed diagram - a U-turn for beginners will be a salvation, as well as a video of making a feeder. The first time will have to spend more than an hour.
Products can be successfully used for feeding not only quails, but also any other poultry, except, possibly, ostriches. Owners with electromechanical skills can try to make an automatic feeder. For it, you must first make a bunker tank, and then equip it with a timer and a dispenser. Ready-made feeder will feed the pets 3 times a day, automatically pouring a portion of grain. Attention: for the product to work, it needs to be connected to electricity.
When deciding to make a feeder, you need to weigh the pros and cons, soberly assess your abilities. If you do not have experience, and you strongly doubt the successful outcome, it is better to go to the store. Now you know how to make quail feeders, mounted and bunker.