How to get rid of rats in a chicken coop and not kill chickens
Sooner or later, people who grow poultry have to come up with ways to get rid of rats in the chicken house in what ways to fight. Vile creatures can do irreparable harm, so you need to destroy them quickly and ruthlessly. But how to do it without causing additional damage to the household? Rats in the chicken coop are almost a natural disaster.
How to get rid of rats in the chicken coop
Some facts about the danger of rats
Chickens are gentle, kind and shy birds. They become especially nervous with a period of laying. The female rushes only in the chicken coop, in which she feels safe. And what security can there be if rats live nearby and steal an egg right from her under the beak? Experienced farmers know from their own experience how severely the rats pose a threat, but newcomers can procrastinate by mistake ... Then to cry over the ravaged chicken coop.
- Rats are known carriers of infectious diseases, not to mention parasites of various species. Remember the Black Death that thundered in the Middle Ages and killed more than half of the human population? The rodent carries diseases that are dangerous not only for humans but also for animals. given that some chickens can eat mice, this is a dangerous idea.
- Everyone needs to eat, and rodents love to eat, so they drag compound feed or home mixes from the feeders. And if you wait for the laying time, then you can admire how rats steal eggs. An egg for mice is a delicacy, like caviar for us, and we could hardly refuse free caviar, which lies at hand's distance. So they can not resist.
- Over time, mice become more and more. They gnaw holes, tunnels, undermine the design of the dwelling of hens during the construction of their den. If you miss a moment, it will be difficult to get rid of mice. Moreover, the chickens are gradually getting used to their presence, eating and sleeping nearby, and by its behavior it is not so easy to determine whether rodents remained or were able to be bred.
- The nocturnal fly mouse can also cause some concern, although it is a much more harmless creature than a rat, despite its frightening appearance.
Modern methods of fighting rats
It is believed that “laziness is the engine of progress”, therefore smart people invented a huge number of various devices and their improved models come out, maybe not every day, but often. Only many of these tools can not be used in the chicken coop. Why? Because they not only destroy rats, but also get the rightful inhabitants of the chicken coop. Folk remedies, however, are also not always better in terms of environmental friendliness and safety. Chickens at the time of bullying is better to relocate to another place of residence.
- Ultrasonic devices are found in 2 types: battery powered and mains powered. Running devices scare rats, as well as mice, moles, and rabbits. Devices of various ranges are sold in stores; accordingly, you need to choose a device with a range that covers the space of the chicken coop. Famous brands are Tornado for small rooms, Chiston, Grad and Typhoon. Warning: although a person does not feel ultrasonic waves, they still affect the body, so you should not be in the room where they work for a long time.
- Chemistry. The use of chemicals is one of the oldest ways to fight rats. Rodents are killed in two ways: by spraying chemicals, pollinating with powder or by arranging poisonous bait for them. It is recommended to get rid of rats that appeared in the chicken house in the first way only to the disinfector, the second and third - it is dangerous, since the chicken also eats poison. If you still decide to get rid of the rats in the chicken coop using poison, try using one of the following popular brands: Ratid-1 or Rat.
With due diligence, one can also find the Goliath: the mouse eats it, but within 10 days its state of health does not change. Instant death would frighten away other rats, and in 10 days the whole population would be satisfied. The product includes substances that mummify corpses, so you will not smell bad. In addition, due to the action of the poison, the mice will go outside where it will be easier to collect and destroy them.
no matter what brand of poison was chosen, you must first carefully read the instructions. And remember: for a cat, hens and small (as well as adults) children, poisons are just as dangerous as for rodents. If there are dogs or cats in the house, rat corpses must be immediately thrown away so that the animals, after eating them, do not become poisoned.
Folk remedies for rats in the chicken coop
When you need to quickly get rid of rats in the chicken coop, if possible, spending as little money as possible on this, folk remedies come to the rescue. Fighting with such methods can be as effective and unsafe as the use of industrial means.
- Rodents can be poisoned with various home-made products by adding an egg to attract the smell.
- Some natural pets are designed to catch mice. This refers to a cat and some dog breeds, although other pets are known in the world that can protect an egg and its mother from a rat.
- Mechanical traps.
Folk remedies for getting rid of rats in the chicken coop have their pros and cons. And if you notice that the chickens eat mice - urgently need to take action.
Herbs and other folk remedies
The ingredients for these remedies can be found almost (though not in everyone) in any home.
- Ash. An ancient, but effective tool, but in cities it is most likely not there. Wood ash contains alkali, which corrodes the legs and insides of rodents, and also destroys parasites. What do we have to do? Take a bucket of ash and scatter it on the floor. The disadvantage of this method is that the chicken coop will quickly become dirty.
- A mixture of alabaster and flour. Take the indicated products and mix in the ratio 1: 1, then put them in the chicken coop, after having evicted birds from it. Mice eating a savory dessert get fatal indigestion. Chicken eggs, like all other phenomena of life, will no longer excite them. Alabaster can be replaced with quicklime, and flour with sugar.
- Smells of fire. The mice have a sensitive sense of smell and a heightened instinct for self-preservation. This feature is not a sin to use: set fire to a tuft of woolen cloth in the chicken coop until the smell of fire penetrates the walls. Some herbs have anti-mouse properties.
Cats and dogs
The struggle of cats and mice is colorfully described in books, children's fairy tales, cartoons and computer games. It is believed that there is no better way to get rid of pests. In fact, not every cat has a hunting instinct. Many cat breeds are afraid of rodents, especially large and cruel rats, which themselves can attack their catchers. The cat teaches the pups to hunt in practice, which is impossible in the conditions of home breeding, therefore city cats most often do not know how to catch mice.
For hunting, you need a village cat who spent his whole life on the street. However, even such “life-beaten" pets often do not dare to attack a rat. What to do in this case? Get a dog. Dachshunds, Fox Terriers and Yagd Terriers are excellent rat hunters bred specifically for this. Breeds that are not intended for hunting, but for other purposes, as well as outbred dogs, will most likely not be able to crush rats that steal eggs.
Fighting rat livestock with mechanical tricks is one of the most popular tricks. Unfortunately, the rat is a very smart pest and careful, not every trap will attract it, so it’s better to see how to catch the rat in the chicken coop in the video.
- Place the barrel, fill it halfway with water and leave it overnight in the chicken coop. Put a ladder so that it is more convenient for rodents to drown in it.
- Hide the rat trap in a box with holes, and put a tasty smelling food inside. It happens that the owner, arriving in the morning in the chicken coop, discovers that the trap has caught a chicken, therefore it is recommended to put the rat traps higher, on the shelves.
- There are special traps in the form of drawers: a rodent crawls in, the door slams, and it remains inside. The struggle with the help of such boxes is not clear: the rat is alive and, if released, the problem will not disappear. And if you kill, then why catch it?
You can deal with pests in dozens of different ways, among which are effective, but dangerous, but there are those that cannot be called a loss of time. It is worth noting that forever rats will not work. They will still come back from time to time to risk stealing a delicious chicken egg from under your nose. Preventive methods will reduce the attractiveness of the chicken coop in the eyes of rodents: close all the cracks in the walls, place the nests higher, above the floor and do not keep food in the house. Now you know that fighting rats in a chicken coop should be safe for people in the house.