How to choose top dressing for the rapid growth of thuja
Thuja belongs to evergreen conifers and is used by gardeners in landscape design to decorate personal plots. For good growth, thuja is recommended to be fed 3 times - in spring, summer and autumn. This will ensure her active development and prepare for the upcoming winter.
How to choose top dressing for the rapid growth of thuja
What food to choose
After planting in open ground, thuja is not fed for several years, because At the initial stage, ash, organic matter, etc., introduced into the planting pit are the source of all the necessary useful elements.
Trees begin to fertilize usually after 2-3 years.
The main components that are required by conifers are:
- nitrogen - in small doses, it serves as a stimulator of the growth of young seedlings, but its excess leads to a loss of decorative culture and makes the crown loose;
- phosphorus and potassium ensure full development and are the key to the bright color of needles and density of shoots, stimulate the buildup of the root system and increase the plant's resistance to adverse environmental factors.
You can determine which element is missing a thuja in appearance:
- iron - needles become light yellow or whitish;
- phosphorus - in young shoots, needles are painted in a red-violet hue;
- nitrogen - the appearance of new shoots is suspended, the needles become discolored (chlorosis sets in);
- potassium and magnesium - the upper part of the plant turns yellow.
The conifers are fed several times per season.
- Spring. They make it immediately when signs of a lack of nutrition become noticeable - the color of the needles and the general condition of the crown change. Feeding in early spring acts as a means of quickly awakening thuja, this helps her recover from colds and activates vegetative processes. The suitable period is March.
- Summer. Fertilizer is applied if the tree is not fertilized immediately after winter, and more often it is limited to foliar spraying without nitrogen. The best root dressings for irrigation will be solutions prepared on the basis of vermicompost and complex products with protective properties against fungal diseases and pests.
- Autumn. Top dressing is suitable for thuja grown in the southern regions. The main attention is paid to the root application of greens. A suitable period is September-early October.
Types of fertilizers
Thuja can be fed with various fertilizers: organic, mineral and complex compounds.
Such fertilizers improve the structure of soil layers and activate the vital activity of beneficial bacteria in them.
Organics (humus, compost, rotted manure) for thuja feeding is used mainly in dry form, mixing into the ground to a shallow depth in the basal area.
The conifers do not feed fresh, not ripened manure and chicken droppings - they have an increased concentration and burn the roots.
Finished products produced by the agricultural industry based on organic components.
- Biud - it contains livestock products and minerals in an easily digestible form;
- Humvit-eco - made on the basis of vermicompost stimulating vegetative processes.
The health of a tree depends on the correct application of fertilizers
For conifers in spring, such mineral complexes are needed where potassium, magnesium and phosphorus are present in high doses in the composition.
Ready-made drugs quickly and effectively make up for the lack of nutrition, eliminating starvation.
Unlike deciduous plants, thujas do not require a lot of nitrogen, contributing to build up green mass, because this component has no significant effect on growth.
Feeding with minerals is allowed only at the dosages indicated in the instructions.
Urea, ammonium nitrate and nitroammophosk help fill the lack of nitrogen in the soil immediately after planting. They are introduced in dissolved or granular form.
Dry top dressing allows you to simultaneously combine the replenishment of the missing elements and loosening the soil.
The introduction of nitrogen is stopped at the onset of summer, so that new shoots do not grow that weaken the conifer, do not have time to lignify in winter and, as a result, will freeze out.
You can feed thuja with complex fertilizers developed for conifers.
They contain the set of useful elements necessary for full development. Their concentration and cumulative effect allows you to save on consumption, applying with a frequency of once every 3-5 years.
The most popular among gardeners: Hvinka, Zdraven, Aquarin, Fertika, Green needle.
Fertilizer for thuja can be composed by folk remedies.
Solutions for top dressing are often made on the basis of herbs in the chemical composition of which nitrogen is present: clover, nettle, euphorbia, wheat grass, wood lice and dandelion.
To prepare working fluids, the vegetation is harvested until the seeds appear.
The crushed grass is put in a barrel of plastic (filled by 2/3), add water. Ammonium nitrate or urea in the amount of 5 tbsp are added to the mixture. for every 50 liters
The container is covered with a lid or polyethylene, holes are made for the exit of gases and put in the sun for 1-1.5 weeks, periodically mixing.
You can increase efficiency by adding wood ash and bone meal.
The ready-to-use herbal solution turns dark brown. The working fluid for feeding is diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10.
They contain the chemical composition of amino acids and trace elements necessary for the conifer to stimulate growth and increase immunity.
Recipe: 35 g of diluted dried yeast, 2 tbsp. granulated sugar is dissolved in 0.7 l of water and put in a warm place.
The liquid is ready to drink after fermentation. For irrigation, the concentrate is diluted in water at the rate of 1 tbsp. for every 10 liters
Basic rules of procedure
The soil before top dressing needs to be moistened
- The interval between the introduction of compounds with different elements should be from 2 or more weeks.
- In the fall, all mineral and organic complexes are stopped. late stimulation of vegetation processes adversely affects future wintering, with the exception of conifers grown in southern areas.
- A day before the planned feeding date, the trunk circle is watered with water in order to moisturize; fertilizers are not applied to dry soil.
- Mineral complexes alternate and do not use together those that contain the same components, because there will be an excess.
You can feed in one of the ways - by applying under the root or by spraying on the crown.
Root top dressing consists in laying granular preparations or watering with liquid solutions.
Fertilizers are introduced into the near-stem circle, not reaching closer than 15 cm to the trunk, after which it is mulched with peat, needles or tree bark.
Mulch additionally serves as an obstacle to the evaporation of moisture, creates air permeability of the upper layers and protects against the appearance of weeds.
Dates of application under the root:
- in the spring they are evenly distributed over the surface of moistened soil and dug, the consumption rate is 30-40 g per tree;
- throughout the growing season, from May to August, 2 times, the standard is 60 g per 1 m².
Foliar top dressing
Foliar spraying on the crown helps to absorb nutrients faster and more efficiently through the needles.
Compared to the root, the percentage of fertilizer assimilation is 2-4 times higher and is about 80%.
The application time is from May to August, the frequency is once every 14 days. The amount of irrigation per season is 3-4 times.
The crown is sprayed with spray guns and sprayers with preparations based on complex metal compounds - chelates. These include Quatum, Brexil, Aninomax, Kafom.
Epin and Zircon act as growth stimulants that reduce stress conditions in plants under adverse growing conditions.
Common mistakes gardeners
In the process of feeding fertilizers, beginner gardeners make typical mistakes:
- do not adhere to the schedule and do not observe regularity, which leads to a violation of the growth rate;
- they confuse the need of a tree for certain nutrients at different stages of development, for example, in the first stage of the growing season, an increased amount of nitrogen is required, and in the second, an increased supply of phosphorus and potassium;
- exceed the dosage prescribed in the instructions, as a result of which the root system is burned, an excess of fertilizers leads to a slowdown in the growth of the conifer and cause adverse changes in appearance;
- they do not prepare the soil before applying fertilizer complexes and watered with working solutions and bury the granular mixture in dry, not moistened in advance, soil, which causes injury to plant roots.