How to carry out foliar top dressing of tomatoes
In order for tomatoes to grow healthy, strong and strong, proper care must be taken. And one of such important elements is foliar feeding of tomatoes. Often it is much more useful than fertilizing the soil. Since it gives a result already in the first hours after processing.
Foliar feeding of tomatoes
The benefits of foliar top dressing
Experienced gardeners know that plants take useful substances not only from the soil. They can also absorb nutrients from leaves. And tomatoes do it very well. With a lack of trace elements, dampness or drought, fungi, as well as temperature extremes, foliar feeding of tomatoes can help. After all, all trace elements are delivered directly to the inside, which significantly reduces the time.
Foliar feeding of tomatoes is effective throughout the growing season. Spraying perfectly strengthens seedlings, subject to alternation with root dressing of tomatoes.
Indicators for foliar top dressing:
- soil oxidation;
- dense soil with poor absorbency;
- the beginning of flowering;
- damage to the roots;
- seedling disease;
- stagnation of water in the soil.
It is very important to observe the concentration of substances in the solution. It should not exceed 1%.
For application of foliar top dressing of a tomato use a spray. Choose its type and volume depending on the area of the sprayed area. And also prepare the dishes for diluting the composition and the necessary ingredients.
- inspect the trunk and leaves, determine the required composition of the solution for spraying;
- prepare the mixture;
- in the evening or on a cloudy day, carefully spray the tomato from top to bottom.
Perform this treatment from seed germination to the setting of the first fruits. After the beginning of fruiting, it is advisable to apply fertilizers into the soil.
Feature of foliar top dressing
Each greenhouse has its own microclimate. Therefore, you need to carefully monitor the condition of tomatoes. Since the slightest changes in shape and color are the first indicators of a deficiency of useful trace elements and the development of diseases.
Foliar feeding of tomatoes in the greenhouse is less frequent than in open beds. They are needed only for tomato support and disease prevention. A solution of copper sulfate or the drug Fitosporin is very suitable for this.
Spray the plantings in the morning. At this time, the greenhouse has not yet warmed up and the vapor in it is not so intense.
Spraying will help fight pests
In open ground, process tomatoes immediately after planting seedlings. Because the roots are damaged and the seedling needs additional nutrition for quick recovery and adaptation. Spraying tomatoes gives its results as soon as it is absorbed. Even if the leaves have faded a little or a fungal disease has appeared, such treatment can quickly cope with it.
The solutions for spraying in open ground and the greenhouse are the same. The basis of the composition is water with the addition of:
- boric acid;
- wood ash;
- calcium nitrate.
Boric acid is very simple to find and purchase. It is a very active trace element and is involved in many vegetation processes. Its disadvantage is manifested by a decrease in the number of fruit formation. Leaves turn light green, curled. Growth point blackens.
After spraying with boric acid, the seedlings become more resistant to disease. To combat diseases, it is often combined with treatment with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Preparation of boric acid solution:
- for seedlings in 1 liter of hot water add 1 g. boric acid, stir, cool slightly;
- for adults, dilute 1 teaspoon of powder in 10 liters of hot water.
Observe proportions strictly. Processing on all sides of the sheet in the morning or evening.
The use of superphosphate significantly increases tomato productivity. Processing them produce to increase the number of ovaries and accelerate the ripening of fruits.
To improve the result, add urea and potassium chloride to superphosphate. Prepare the composition according to the instructions.
Urea (urea) is a fertilizer with a high nitrogen content. With a lack of nitrogen, the leaves and ovaries fall off the plant, growth slows down. Tomatoes become pale green, weakly bloom and poorly bear fruit. To make up for this trace element, spray with a solution of 50 g. urea and 10 liters of water.
Only process urea tomatoes if necessary. Urea cannot be used during flowering.
Wood ash is used not only as a source of nutrients, but also as an effective tool for combating diseases and parasites.
For foliar top dressing, use a solution of 2 liters of ash, 10 g. boric acid and 10 liters of hot water. Insist 3-4 hours, strain.
To control pests, mix 2 liters of ash, 50 g. soap and 10 liters of hot water, cool and strain.
Iodine solution will increase immunity
Perform foliar top dressing with iodine to accelerate plant growth, increase immunity, increase fruiting.
In order not to harm, observe the proportions of iodine. Dilute 5 drops of iodine in 1 liter of milk. Spray with a fine spray, as large droplets can burn.
Calcium nitrate or calcium nitrogen acts more gently than urea. Spraying it is done to quickly increase green mass, increase resistance to diseases, increase fruiting and improve the taste of tomatoes.
Treat after transplanting seedlings into the ground.
Dilute the solution according to the instructions: 2 gr. saltpeter per 1 liter of water. Spray at the rate of 1 liter of solution per 1 bush.
To prevent falling of flowers and reducing ovaries, it is necessary to spray tomatoes with a solution of boric acid every decade.
To increase the ovaries and strengthen the immune system, spray with solutions:
- dilute 1 teaspoon of superphosphate in 10 l of hot water, cool;
- chop 500 g of young nettle, add 10 l of water, leave for 24 hours, strain.
The finished drug Zavyaz has proven itself well, you can purchase it in a gardening store. Use according to instructions.
The use of urea for foliar feeding during flowering can significantly reduce the number of ovaries.
The formation and ripening of fruits is the most difficult period for any culture. Use phytosparin to support tomatoes. Breed it strictly according to the instructions.
Pay attention to the appearance of the fruit, this will help determine the cause of the disease:
- Lack of nutrition is manifested by changes in the appearance of the plant. Because of this, diseases often develop. To prevent disease, often try to closely monitor plantings.
- With a lack of calcium nitrate, dark depressed spots appear on the fruits, and the leaves curl. The defeat of vertex rot begins. Treat the bushes with a solution of 2 gr. calcium nitrate per 1 liter of water.
- With a lack of nitrogen, the tomato plant drastically slows its growth or completely stops. Use a weak urea solution for processing.
- The lack of phosphorus is manifested by darkening of the leaves, the acquisition of a purple hue with dark veins. Treat the tomatoes with a superphosphate solution.
- Spray with a warm solution. If you process the tomatoes with cold water, they can experience a shock from the temperature difference and become covered with small spots.
- Processing air temperature should be between 20 в-25˚C. If it is higher, then the solution dries quickly and does not have time to absorb. At low temperatures, humidity rises, which can lead to decay.
- First, try the solution on 1-2 bushes of tomato, wait a couple of hours. In the absence of negative consequences, spray the entire area.
- When spraying tomatoes, try not to exceed the dosages of nutrients, as this can lead to burns on the leaves.
Perform procedures such as foliar top dressing of tomatoes only when necessary. A supersaturation of a tomato with useful substances leads to disruption of normal growth, an increase in green mass and a decrease in yield.