How to Build a Rabbit Barn
Rabbit breeding is a rather popular branch of agriculture in our country. This is explained by the high value of dietary meat and rabbit furs in the market. And the content of these cute mammals is not such a troublesome thing.
As you know, rabbits are productive creatures. The farmer is required to provide them with conditions suitable for reproduction. This article discusses how a barn for rabbits should be and how you can equip it with your own hands using drawings.
No matter how unpretentious the heroes of this article may be, they still have their own requirements for future housing. Before proceeding with the selection and arrangement of such, it is recommended to study the features of the particular breed selected for cultivation.
Why is barn rather than a summer cage the most suitable option for most rabbit species? The fact is that this animal is quite thermophilic, afraid of dampness and temperature changes. The average temperature in rabbitry should be about 15 ° C. Therefore, before the rabbit wintering, the owner will need to either insulate the cage or build an indoor room. If the pets freeze, feel discomfort, their productivity will noticeably decrease, they will become lethargic and begin to lose weight. In addition, in conditions of low temperature and drafts, rabbits can become seriously ill; food in the feeders will freeze and become unsuitable for ingestion.
Features of arrangement
Cleaning the summer cage in the cold season is a rather problematic process. Sewage freezes, and it becomes difficult to wash or peel them, therefore, rabbit breeders are advised to settle pets in covered premises.
Arrangement of a barn for rabbits
As a rabbitry, an ordinary barn is suitable, the average area of which should be 1 × 1.5 m. However, the dimensions can vary, depending on the size of the breed, their features and the total number of pets. By design, such premises are divided into two-tier and multi-tier. The same cells can be placed indoors. Here is a list of general recommendations for arranging year-round rabbit housing:
- durable material (brick, foam blocks) that protects walls from drafts and other external influences;
- availability of ventilation: rabbits need fresh air, free from harmful fumes;
- thermal insulation of the room for the winter season;
- safety: sharp corners should be avoided;
- a shed roof is a practical option, which, moreover, looks good: a farmer can dry hay on such a roof, thereby saving space inside the building;
- sloping floor to optimize the harvesting process;
- steel-mesh doors as a combination of reliability and the ability of sunlight to penetrate the barn;
- pit for manure;
- division into sections (females / males / young) with certain sizes, each of which will be equipped with clean and always filled feeders and drinkers;
- availability of a platform for walking young animals.
When building a do-it-yourself barn for rabbits, you need to follow a clear pattern. Below you will find step-by-step instructions that will help with the systematization and immediate implementation of the construction plan.
The best option when choosing a rabbitry place is the north side of the yard, located on a small hill and protected from the winds. The presence of a number of water sources is not recommended, because you have to dig a hole during construction.
It is very good if a tree grows near the rabbitry, under which you can hide in hot weather.
The size of rabbitry does not exceed the size of the dwelling for other domestic animals and birds.
The list of tools that will be needed when building a rabbit barn includes the most common nails, a hammer, a net and plywood. It is enough for any breeder to arm themselves with a drawing and proceed directly to work.
First you need to calculate the required area with all sizes, taking into account the number of rabbits and their gender / age. The space under the cages must be spent economically, while the animals need to leave enough free space. The drawings should plan the passage between the enclosures. A more detailed example of a future design is presented in the video.
The stages of construction are as follows:
- Lay the frame. It should rise no less than 80 cm above ground level.
- To erect walls, to cover them with boards or sheets of plywood. Material may vary depending on financial capabilities; the most democratic option is the foam block. The main thing is that there are no gaps between the walls.
- When dealing with the floor, it is important to think about which option will be more convenient: solid or from slats. The second option is more practical due to hygiene considerations and the absence of drafts, especially if you install a removable pallet below. The distance between the rails should be about 15 mm.
- It is recommended to make the roof strong so that in winter it is able to protect rabbits from the cold. A convenient option for the warm season is a hinged roof. Also, do not forget to attach the stairs to climb up. You can throw hay and grass through the sunroof.
- Divide the room into sections. Cages in ventilated rooms cannot be installed under the ceiling: rabbits can overheat. Cells in rabbitries are usually of several types - their choice depends on the breed of rabbits, their age, size and other characteristics. Usually in the middle of the room cages with rabbits are placed, along the walls with young animals. The optimal number of tiers is 2-3. Such a system will allow the owner to economically distribute the area of the barn. Only the cells need to be installed in such a way that the rabbit waste does not fall from the upper tiers to the lower. You can find a photo on the Internet that says which option the location of the aviary is the most convenient.
- Window area should be 8-10% of the floor area. Rabbits need natural light. Additionally, you can install artificial.
- To process the walls of the room with a solution from rotting and deformation of the material. This is especially true of wooden buildings. Brick, although they are quite bulky, in this regard seem more reliable.
- To equip the font 3 cm deep in the darkened corner and the vacuum system to constantly provide it with water.
- Allocate additional space for storing equipment, feed and other things that may be useful on the farm.
Rabbits can be kept in the same barn with hens. The main condition is to walk these pets separately.
It’s not so difficult to equip rabbitry with your own hands. The main thing is to follow the recommendations from specialists, arm yourself with drawings and preview the thematic video, which clearly shows the stages of the process.