Growing zucchini in a barrel
Growing zucchini in a barrel is the achievement of gardeners, which allows you to get a tasty and good crop of vegetables with minimal labor and financial costs. Shrub varieties and hybrids are suitable for growing zucchini.
Growing zucchini in a barrel
The following varieties are most suitable for growing seedlings:
- Apollo F1;
- Gribovsky 37;
Before sowing, seeds of bush varieties should be warmed up, then seedlings will germinate simultaneously, and the yield will be large. To do this, the seeds are placed on a heating battery and kept them there for a day.
After drying, the seeds are soaked in warm water (40-45 °). After they swell, they are removed and laid out in layers on a damp cloth. Do not use gauze, because in its loose structure, the sprouts are capable of tangling and breaking off.
At room temperature for 4-5 days, the seeds will produce sprouts of the desired length, after which they are planted. Do not pull until the sprouts are too long, such seedlings are difficult to plant without breaking the sprouts.
To obtain seedlings, halves of eggshell are used. Empty and dried halves are filled with peat soil and seeds are placed in their center - 1 each. Then the seedlings are irrigated from the spray gun and placed in a warm place with diffused lighting. In such an environment, the sprouts will not only grow quickly, but will also receive additional nutrition from the shell.
As soon as the seedlings get stronger and let out a pair of leaves, they are planted in small flowerpots or pots with a diameter of 10-12 cm, without removing from the shell.
Zucchini is required to grow in containers with a capacity of at least 200 liters. A container made of iron, plastic or wood is also used. Too narrow and deep a barrel is better to cut in half, wide and shallow - leave intact. For lack of such containers use a capacious old pan or bucket.
In the middle of the tank you need to insert a tube punched in several places. It will be used to further moisten the plantings. At the bottom of the barrel make several holes that will serve to drain the excess fluid during irrigation.
Before filling the barrel with soil, you should determine its location, as it will be problematic to move the filled tank. To get an early harvest, zucchini in a barrel is placed in a place where there are no drafts and a lot of sun. Under such conditions, the soil warms up faster and the sprouts will begin to actively develop.
Some gardeners place a barrel near the flower garden, creating a beautiful composition.
The soil should be low in acidity
The vegetation remaining in the garden is used as drainage - shoots of fruit trees and shrubs shredded into segments. A layer of garden waste is placed on top of the drainage. Suitable vegetable tops, dry leaves. Then lay peat, humus earth or molehill. The soil mixture is slightly compacted, leaving 15 cm of empty space so that the plants do not break during growth.
If necessary, supports for bushes are installed. If the variety is undersized, then soil is added to the barrel as the bush grows. Zucchini is grown in barrels using soil with a low level of acidity. For deoxidation, ground chalk or dolomite flour is added to the soil.
Planting seedlings in a barrel
Before planting zucchini in a barrel, the soil is abundantly watered, then loosened and leveled. The plant is transplanted after the appearance of the third leaf in approximately the second decade of May. By this time, the threat of the last frosts will pass, and the soil will warm up to the required temperature.
1-3 sprouts can be planted in one container. Tall varieties are planted one at a time, small ones - 2-3 pcs. in one barrel.
After planting, the plants are watered, slightly spudded, and covered with light material at night - burlap or agrofiber. At this time of day, the air is still cool and can negatively affect the growth and development of bushes.
3-4 days after planting, the zucchini in the barrel should be fed to stimulate the growth of green mass. Fertilize planting with a solution of nitroammofoski (20 g of the substance is dissolved in 10 l of water). For proper nutrition, you will need about a bucket of working staff. To eliminate the risk of burning roots and increase the degree of assimilation of nutrients, top dressing is combined with watering.
After the vegetable marrows are planted, they carry out a number of important events:
- Regular watering as the surface layer of soil dries (up to 20 liters of water are consumed per 1 m² of area). For irrigation use warm settled water, from cold water squash bushes are able to get sick, rot and die. The soil is moistened through a tube held in the middle of the barrel.
- Often loosen the soil to maintain its moisture and air permeability, as well as accelerate the development of the root system.
- To accelerate the processes of natural pollination and increase the number of ovaries, the foliage is sprayed with a sweet solution (honey and water), which attracts pollinating insects.
- At the very beginning of flowering of the ovary, an artificial pollination procedure is required. This manipulation is carried out using a flower with pollen without petals.
Advantages and disadvantages
It will be possible to evaluate all the advantages of this method of growing only after the plants have grown, form dense foliage and the first ovaries. The benefits of growing zucchini in barrels:
- getting an early harvest;
- high qualitative and quantitative indicators of productivity;
- simplicity in leaving;
- significantly reduces the risk of viral, fungal and bacterial infections, since the plants practically do not touch the ground;
- low consumption of land and water during irrigation;
- aesthetics and decorativeness of landings.
Several layers of the crop are harvested during the season.
For cutting vegetables, it is better to use a well-sharpened knife, which makes it easy to remove vegetables without damage. The fruits develop on a thick and juicy stalk. If it has already turned yellow or dried out, such specimens are not suitable for eating, as are overripe.
Over the entire season, several harvests are carried out at different ripening periods. It all depends on the further use of vegetables. Young, not overripe vegetables are suitable for freezing, drying and canning. They are used for stewing, stewing, baking.
For winter consumption, you should wait until the vegetables have fully ripened. They are kept on the bush for about 120 days, so that the skin becomes firmer and smoother. In a cool place, such fruits are able to lie until spring without loss of taste and marketability.
It will be possible to determine the ripeness of the fruit by the sound. If it is deaf, and the peel is removed with difficulty, then it's time to remove the vegetables. During the cut, leave 2-3 cm of the fetus. In a few days, this part will dry out, which eliminates the risk of developing infections.
To avoid decay of an immature zucchini in a barrel in wet weather, any dense material, for example, cardboard or tree bark, is placed under each instance. This prevents the development of diseases.
To grow strong bushes with abundant flowering and numerous ovaries, it is worth observing simple rules:
- At the beginning of the growing season and before flowering, it is necessary to carry out the procedure of pinching the growth point (chasing). Thus a large number of ovaries will form and more fruits will appear.
- After the bushes bloom, all inflorescences on which no ovaries have formed should be removed, because they take away a lot of strength, energy and nutrients from the plant, which negatively affects the crop.
- In the last decade of August, when the fruits are formed and take the desired color, foliage should be cut, which covers the ripening fruits from the sun.
- A lining for cardboard or wood vegetables will be an excellent protection for vegetables from slugs and snails that like to feast on their flesh.
- Harvest should be on time, because overripe vegetables have poor keeping quality and taste.
- Culture does not like overfeeding and from an overabundance of nutrients it will build up green mass without forming ovaries. Excess nutrients can lead to the development of diseases, decay of bushes and their death.
- It is also required to comply with crop rotation rules. Before zucchini, onions, radishes, cabbage, potatoes, legumes, tomatoes, carrots and herbs should be grown on this land.
Growing zucchini in a barrel is not difficult at all, the main thing is to choose the right capacity, the right soil composition, prepare the seeds and grow high-quality seedlings from them. In the future, the summer resident is required only care and regular collection of zucchini.