Greenhouse for polycarbonate cucumbers
A polycarbonate greenhouse for cucumbers allows you to grow vegetables on your personal plot throughout the calendar year. In greenhouse conditions, it is possible to create conditions suitable for growing cucumber crops so that cucumbers bear fruit from early spring to late fall.
Greenhouse for polycarbonate cucumbers
The greenhouse for polycarbonate cucumbers, which is easy to do with your own hands, is quite popular among summer residents due to the special technical characteristics of the material:
- polycarbonate sheets are quite reliable and withstand mechanical and physical loads, while maintaining a constructive basis when a considerable amount of snow accumulates on its surface, their maximum allowable load level that the sheets are able to withstand is in the range from 100 to 150 kg per 1 sq. m of area, depending on the density of the material
- practical material does not require much maintenance, it is easy to assemble and if necessary to move to a new place to dismantle,
- sufficient durability and wear resistance of polycarbonate allows you to use the greenhouse for cucumbers for a long time, its service life reaches up to 20 years,
- moisture resistant surface does not allow unnecessary rainfall and does not respond to outside climate change,
- The frost resistance of the greenhouse design allows it to withstand low temperature conditions from the outside, supporting the necessary microclimate from the outside by the cucumber.
Among the main advantages of using polycarbonate for greenhouses when growing vegetables is the fact that the material consisting of honeycombs uniformly transmits solar heat.
How to choose polycarbonate
When choosing polycarbonate for the design of the greenhouse, it is important to pay attention to some details:
- the thickness of the polycarbonate sheet most suitable for the greenhouse is from 4 to 8 mm,
- the sheets must be plastic, since in the manufacture of a polycarbonate greenhouse they will in some cases have to be bent by hands to attach to metal pipes - supports,
- excessively low weight of a polycarbonate sheet is the reason why you should refuse such a fragile material, not intended for the construction of a greenhouse structure, the classic weight of a polycarbonate sheet with a size of 2.1 m * 6.0 m is from 9 to 10 kg.
Greenhouse frame and roof
The greenhouse frame, when self-constructed, is usually assembled from metal profiles, for which galvanized or metal arcs are suitable. Some people prefer to make a greenhouse frame from wooden pores, but we must not forget that this is not the best design, and the service life of a wooden frame is much shorter.
For any greenhouse frame, a base is required. Moreover, for metal structures, a concrete foundation is often poured at a depth below the level of freezing of soil. When mounting wooden frames, some are limited to concrete posts filled with concrete or metal pipes are concreted.
As a mixture for a reliable concrete foundation, cement (1 kg), fine sand (2.5 -3 kg), gravel or crushed stone (3 - 4 kg) are suitable.
Mounting on a wooden frame
Polycarbonate can cover a wooden frame
Do-it-yourself greenhouse frame constructed of wooden planks and boards before mounting the polycarbonate on it is covered with paint or varnish to extend its life. Mount the greenhouse design according to the drawing by means of a drill, fastening the parts with dowels.
Mounting on a metal frame
Before coating the metal frame of the greenhouse, it is coated with anti-corrosion enamel. The parts are fastened together by welding, and the polycarbonate sheets are bolted.
The roof can be single-pitched, gable or broken with many air vents to ensure the ventilation of the greenhouse.
It is designed as an extension, for example, to the wall of a country house, placing the roof slope at an angle. The length of the roof is usually not more than 3.0-4.5 m, and the slope angle is calculated taking into account the climate of a particular region. A semi-farm acts as a bearing part for a pitched roof.
Such a greenhouse assumes that its roof consists of two parts (slopes), interconnected at an angle from 24 'to 30'. The width of the gable roof is 30, -5.0 m, and the length can be different. Strength depends on the presence of a ridge connecting the slopes - the top of the roof.
The creation of a favorable climate for the cultivation of cucumbers depends on the proper internal filling of the greenhouse structure.
The height of the beds for growing cucumbers is calculated based on the plant variety. A bed made high can also be filled with useful components to the maximum, and this will favorably affect early fruiting.
In the greenhouse, you can build beds, taking into account their use for cucumbers for at least 5-7 years, for which it is necessary:
- dig a trench about 1.5 m wide and 1.5-2 m deep shovels,
- lay tree branches and wood remains across the excavated earth trench; for the first layer, birch, which has disinfecting properties, acts as a good material,
- fill the resulting voids with sawdust,
- on top, cover everything with a 10 cm thick layer of straw, on top of which lay paper or cardboard sheets,
- pour on the paper coating fresh plant waste left after processing the plants, then last year’s half-mature foliage,
- Put the last finishing layer with fresh compost mixed with garden soil.
So that such a bed construction does not crumble, support walls are installed for it in the form of wooden boxes or slate sheets.
The advice of experienced gardeners who have adapted to grow cucumbers in a greenhouse and polycarbonate recommend not to make a mini-borage, but to erect a structure not less than the height of the owner himself. Such a height will provide easy and complete care for the plants grown, will provide them with plenty of space and fresh air.
The height of the greenhouse should be at least 1.8-2.0 m, width - from 2-4 m and wider. To facilitate the care of plants inside the greenhouse, I make paths.
If the opening window panes are absent in the greenhouse design, too high a thermal regime will be created, leading to diseases and wilting of cucumbers. If you resort to frequent watering in such cases, you can achieve rotting cucumber bushes. However, the excessive ventilation of the greenhouse with drafts is also not welcomed by the vegetable crop.