Green pepper characterization
Green pepper - is a type of Bulgarian sweet pepper, it is specially harvested until it has time to turn orange, yellow or red. The vegetable came to Europe quite by accident, America is considered its homeland. Today we will find out what the peculiarity of the variety is: its composition, useful and harmful properties.
The nutritional value of pepper
Often, green bell peppers become the main ingredient in weight loss diets. The fact is that the vegetable is endowed with low calorie content, which allows you to eat it in large quantities, without fear of gaining weight. 100 grams of pepper contains about 40 calories.
It is thanks to the low calorie content of sweet green pepper that you can put your weight in order and lose a few kg in a fairly short time, is this not a miracle?
Indicators BZHU fetus (per 100 g):
- Carbohydrates - 7 gr
- Protein - 1.5 g
- Fat –0.2 g
green pepper is added to salads, meat and vegetable dishes, it will add a specific fresh taste to any dish, whether it is stew, lettuce, some kind of sauce, pasta or stew.
Everyone knows about the benefits of vegetables, as they contain a lot of vitamins.
green pepper is a champion among vegetables for the content of vitamin C, it was surpassed only by red currants and rose hips. It should be said about vitamin P, which is also present in its composition. The maximum concentration of this vitamin is contained closer to the stem, so do not completely remove it.
Such a composition has a beneficial effect on the condition of the heart, benefiting the entire circulatory system. Regular consumption of pepper will make the vessels more elastic, clearing them of plaques.
Doctors say the presence of yellow or green bell peppers in your diet will help reduce your risk of stroke by 48%.
The vegetable is also rich in vitamin A, in this indicator it even surpasses carrots. If you want to have beautiful skin, prevent the formation of early wrinkles, do not lose sight with age, you should definitely include pepper in your diet.
The vegetable also contains B vitamins, which have a beneficial effect on the state of the nervous system, increase mood, normalize sleep.
- Potassium - is vital for the normal functioning of the heart muscle.
- Iron - a beneficial effect on blood circulation.
- Silicon - is responsible for the beauty of the skin and hair.
- Iodine - a positive effect on mental activity.
Capsicin in green pepper
It is worth saying that green pepper is a direct relative of the chilli pepper, as well as of such a variety as chili pepper. All three varieties have a unique component in their composition, which is called capsoicin, it is he who gives the fruit a characteristic taste. You can be sure that do not spoil the taste of the dish with pepper, because capsoicin is found in large quantities only in seeds.
The pepper itself also contains this beneficial substance, which favorably affects the appetite, improving the entire digestion process. For this reason, a green vegetable is often used to make snacks to wake up an appetite for a main course.
Green pepper may be useful in the following cases:
- Regular consumption of pepper of this variety will be useful for hair loss, this is especially true for allopecia in men;
- Due to the fact that Bulgarian green pepper does not contain starch, it is recommended to eat it for people with diabetes, the same applies to red pepper;
- It is recommended to include pregnant women in the menu, as well as couples at the planning stage of the child. The fact is that the composition of the vegetable will be able to fill the deficiency of such trace elements as iron, calcium and potassium, which the expectant mother so needs;
- Pepper contains betacarotene, which has a very positive effect on visual acuity.
- Improves digestion
- It’s worth including the pepper in the menu if you have problems with pressure, namely, you suffer from hypertension
- Improves the state of immunity. With it, you can get rid of diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract and even get rid of asthma attacks.
- It can be used externally, for example, making lotions and ointments on its basis for the treatment of neuralgia and radiculitis
- If you are engaged in mental work, you should eat green bell pepper, with it you can improve memory and increase attention
- Red and green peppers are often a component of cosmetic products, because they have whitening properties for the skin and also strengthens the hair. Some people use freckled masks to get rid of freckles and simply improve their skin condition.
Scientists from Italy came to the conclusion that bell pepper has in its chemical composition substances that prevent the formation of cancer. Most effective in the fight against breast cancer.
Of course, to cure cancer that has already developed, but its presence in the diet will be a good prevention. It is enough to eat only 1 pepper per day, this will be enough to protect yourself from an insidious disease.
The harm of green pepper
Not desirable for a sick stomach
Even such a useful product as sweet green pepper has a list of contraindications that should cause its consumption to be abandoned. This includes:
- Stomach ulcer
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
How to keep vitamins
We all know how difficult it is to preserve all the vitamins and minerals in fruits and vegetables. Shelf life of green pepper in the refrigerator for about 7 days. To increase its lifespan, you can marinate the pepper. In this case, it is possible to save about 70% of all vitamins and minerals. However, people with heart diseases need to be careful here, as the marinade and pickles contain a high salt content, which can trigger an increase in blood pressure.
You can also freeze a vegetable, with this method it is possible to save about 100% of nutrients. To do this, wash the vegetable and remove the seeds and tail.
It is forbidden to re-freeze peppers so as not to destroy the remaining vitamins. For convenience, you can decompose the pepper portionwise in small packets to defrost the desired amount.
How to choose pepper
If you buy green pepper, you need to pay attention to how it looks. The fruit should be dense and resilient, its skin should be smooth and not have any damage. Pay attention to the tail, it must be green and not dry.
Remember that the maturity of the fetus can be determined not only by size, but also by color. The darker the color of the vegetable, the more mature it is; moreover, the vegetable turns slightly red as it ripens.
Maturity directly affects gustatory quality - an unripe vegetable will be more bitter and may be slightly tart. If you bought an unripe vegetable, put it on the windowsill for ripening, after 2-3 days the fruit will ripen.
Now you know what the benefits and harms of green bell pepper are, we have examined in detail its chemical composition and a list of vitamins contained, be sure to include it in your menu and be healthy.