Fighting slugs on cabbage
Slugs on cabbage give gardeners a lot of trouble. They appear on vegetables throughout the horticultural season, often completely destroying the cabbage crop.
Fighting slugs on cabbage
Externally, the slugs are similar to snails and belong to the same family of gastropod mollusks, only without a shell. Instead of shells, protection for them is created by the mucus covering the entire body, which, when moving the insect, leaves a brilliant gray mark.
In the daytime, the mollusks hide in damp, dark places, and slugs begin to crawl out onto the cabbage when it gets dark. In twilight, they gnaw cabbage leaves and heads of cabbage, remaining in the beds until morning.
Crawling through plants, slugs carry fungal and viral infections throughout the plantings.
In the rainy cool season, pests also appear in the daytime. Among all cabbage varieties, the mollusks are the least harmful to the red-headed variety.
Fighting slugs that appear in cabbage is much more difficult than protecting plants in time, preventing the appearance of pests on cabbage plantings.
Slugs prefer dark and humid places, therefore, timely cleaning of weeds and leaves of tops after the previous harvest will not create conditions for decay and will not lead to the formation of a favorable environment for the pest.
You can prevent the appearance of mollusks on the beds by creating obstacles. For this, fences are made around the garden:
- from dug trenches with water,
- from lime strips,
- from sawdust
- from improvised materials with sharp edges, such as spruce needles, husks of sunflower seeds, shell rock, eggshells and nutshells.
The natural enemies of slugs are birds and insects, they help get rid of pests that appear on the cabbage. Mollusks are food for jackdaws, rooks and starlings, they are eaten by poultry: chicken and duck, and ground beetles are also fed by invertebrate mollusks. In the fight against them, to attract birds in the area where vegetables grow, make baits with food and plant peduncles attracting insects.
Thunderstorm helps get rid of insects
In the fight against slugs on cabbage plantings, chemicals are almost never used: mollusks are not very susceptible to their composition. However, a number of drugs have proven themselves from slugs on cabbage. For example, a product called "Thunderstorm", whose components include metaldehyde. The drug has a selective effect, because it contains substances that attract mollusks, but repel insects and birds.
The activity of the chemical preparation begins 2 hours after the ingestion of mollusks.
Effective chemical agent against slugs is a hazard class 3 and consists of small granules. It is scattered around cabbage plantings. The consumption rate is 15 g per 5 square meters. m. It can be used in rainy weather, because the active substances of the drug remain effective even under conditions of high humidity.
In the fight against slugs, folk methods effectively show themselves.
Using mechanical methods of collecting mollusks on beds is quite difficult, because in the daytime they hide in the foliage of plants and in the soil layer. More effective folk way are the traps that summer residents make with and without baits.
- In the aisles, slices of plywood or cardboard, roofing felt or slate are laid out on plentifully moistened soil, which the mollusks take for a place of shelter - they crawl under them when morning comes. Turning over these shelters, pests are easy to assemble with your hands.
- Heat is detrimental to slugs, accompanied by increased humidity, which can be created artificially if the soil around the cabbage plantings is covered with cellophane. The slugs that crawled in the morning hours will die under a waterproof shelter, which under the influence of sunlight will create hot condensation under the film.
- The originating drinks containing yeast (beer or kvass) act as a bait for slugs. They are poured into containers buried near plants growing on the beds at the level of the earth's surface. To prevent them from entering beneficial insects, for example, bees, they are closed for daytime hours.
- The smell of laundry soap attracts the mollusks, the pieces of which are placed in plastic bottles buried near cabbage plantings so that the neck remains at the level of the earth's surface.
Helps protect plantings from slugs on cabbage table vinegar with a concentration of 9%. It is diluted in an amount of 200-400 ml in 10 l of water. With this solution, cabbage plantings are sprayed in the evening.
The smell of mustard frightens off the mollusk plants if it is sprayed with vegetable crops in the evening. 100 ml of mustard requires 10 liters of water.
Ash and tobacco
Powder dusting with wood ash or tobacco helps to effectively combat slugs that appear on cabbage. For best efficiency, 1 tbsp. Is added to 1 liter of ash powder. l salt, mustard and hot pepper. Dusting procedures are repeated a week later, or earlier if it has rained.
It is possible to get rid of slugs on cabbage, but it is better not to allow their appearance. Follow preventive measures, take care of the crop in a timely manner, because the pest most often appears when the crop is grown in adverse conditions.