Feeding carrots after emergence
Fertilizing carrots after seedlings lays the future development of a vegetable crop, ensures its active growth and a good harvest.
Feeding carrots after emergence
What is necessary for seedlings
At the initial stage of development, carrot seedlings need a number of elements:
- Nitrogen. With its help, green mass is increased, and with its shortage, carrot foliage grows smaller, root crops grow small in size.
- Potassium. This element is responsible for the process of photosynthesis in foliage, without which the production of organic substances in plant cells is impossible. A lack of potassium leads to a decrease in disease resistance in carrots,
- Phosphorus. With its shortage, young shoots of carrots do not tolerate the hot conditions of summer, as a result of which root crops turn out to be slightly sugary and tasteless.
Application rates of fertilizer complexes containing the necessary elements for feeding young seedlings of carrots depend on the quality of soil:
- for sod and podzolic soil contribute 6-9 g of nitrogen and phosphorus, potassium - 15-18 g,
- for meadow land contribute 4-6 g of nitrogen, 6-9 g of phosphorus, 18-21 g of potassium,
- for leached and chernozem soils, 3-6 g of nitrogen, 6-8 g of phosphorus, 9-12 g of potassium are added,
- for peat and marshy lands contribute up to 3 g of nitrogen, 9-12 g of phosphorus, 18-25 g of potassium.
Frequency and time of feeding
Fertilize carrots in 2-3 weeks
Watering and spraying carrots after germination is required at least 2-3 times, especially if the soil is not rich in nutrients or the climatic conditions are unfavorable: it often rains or droughts, frosts.
Under favorable vegetable growing conditions, top dressing of carrots after germination does not begin earlier than 3 weeks after the emergence of sprouts. The secondary application of fertilizer complexes is carried out after 2-3 weeks after the initial feeding.
For increased results from top dressing weedy vegetation is destroyed, actively using herbicides.
The time for feeding carrots after the emergence of seedlings is tied to the procedure of thinning young shoots. It is carried out twice:
- when 2-3 leaflets are observed in sprouts, usually the age of such young plantings is about 20 days,
- when sprouts appear on 5-6 true leaves.
Formulations and rules for application
As a top dressing of carrot seedlings after their appearance, the use of the following solutions is permissible:
- diluted with water nitrophoska in a proportion of 1 tbsp. 10 l
- wood ash at the rate of 5-7 tbsp. l on 10 l of water,
- a mixture of potassium nitrate (20 g), urea (15 g), double superphosphate (15 g) per 10 l of water,
- manure diluted in water in a proportion of 1:10,
- chicken droppings, from which a concentrate is preliminarily made from 1 part organic fertilizer to 10 parts water; then the concentration is reduced by increasing the total volume of the working fluid by 10 times.
When combining the nutrition of carrot seedlings and the procedures for their thinning at each stage, different fertilizer formulations are used:
- during the initial thinning of plantings, an infusion of weed vegetation diluted in water in a ratio of 1: 5 is used, to which sulphate or carbonate is mixed: 1-2 tbsp. l on 10 l of water,
- during the second thinning, they are limited to watering with a working solution with potassium: 3 st. l on 10 l of water.
It is acceptable to use both root and foliar post-emergence bait. It should be borne in mind that:
- suitable time for fertilizing - morning or evening,
- immediately before applying fertilizers, the soil is loosened and watered abundantly.
Carrying fertilizing carrots after the appearance of the first seedlings is an important event that lays the health of a vegetable crop, ensuring its full development and growth, and leading to good productivity. Fertilizers are applied according to the recommended standards in a timely manner and with the required frequency.