Features of Viennese rabbits
Breeding rabbits today is a fairly popular and profitable business, because animals are the owners of delicious meat and quality skins.
Description of Vienna Blue Rabbit
Viennese blue rabbit is one of the most common breeds in Russia and the CIS. This is not surprising, because in addition to their incredibly attractive appearance and performance indicators, the Viennese blue rabbits have a calm and obedient character, are not aggressive towards their owners.
Before you get a representative of the breed, you need to know its description better in order to be prepared for possible surprises.
Viennese rabbit is known for its dense, compact and slightly elongated body with well-developed muscles and strong bones. The back and chest of the representatives of the breed are quite wide. The blue rabbit has small ears, reaching 15 cm, with a pronounced rounding at the ends; saturated dark blue eyes.
The weight of the animals ranges from 4-5 kg, but there are exceptions when the blue rabbit grows to 6.5-7 kg.
To remember how the rabbits of the charming breed Viennese blue look like, just look at their photo once. It immediately catches your eye:
- The presence of a thick hairline, painted in steel color with a bluish tint. The color is uniform and has no inclusions of black or white. Sometimes the cover can take on lighter shades in the abdomen. Fur pelt is the most valuable material for light industry.
- A slender body (its length rarely exceeds 60 cm).
- The rabbit’s undergrowth.
- Small slender legs.
- Wide and round loin.
Appearance of the Vienna Blue Rabbit
After birth, the representative in question is characterized by rapid development and intensive growth. The weight of newborn animals is in the range of 70-80 g, but within 4 months it fully reaches the standard norm. If you start to feed them with appropriate feeds, then after 60 days one and a half kilogram animals can grow, and after another couple of months - rabbits weighing 4.5 kg. With the content of breed representatives, a high increase and a good payback of the feed are observed.
In addition, the rabbits are quite productive and bring up to 10 animals at a time, provide babies with maternal care and the necessary qualities for proper and healthy development. Small pussies have a blue and fairly large skin with smooth and thick hair and a glossy sheen.
The high quality of the fur of the described animals is so amazing that the demand for its purchase is only growing.
White and black representatives of the breed
Other equally well-known rabbits of this breed are white and black rabbits. The Vienna true black rabbit has a similar characteristic of physique, head and ears. Its main advantage is the standard skin color of the crow and the elegance of the look. That is why every breeder wants to have a black animal. Unlike blue rabbits, animals have a larger head, especially in relation to the body, and a more pronounced back line. The animals are also characterized by the presence of a cat's bend and small paws located parallel to the body.
As for the white Viennese rabbit, it has a unique snow-white fur and bright blue eyes. The Hungarian rabbit has a similar description, but it has a large body weight and can be considered a giant. Representatives from Vienna are also quite large, but reach a weight of only 5 kg. The body is muscular, with a convex chest and a short head, while the neck is quite small. Like representatives of other colors, white is in demand due to its valuable and unique fur. In addition, the animals are able to quickly adapt to any territory and are not capricious in matters of content. Often they are bred even in especially severe climatic conditions.
Gray fur is less in demand than skins of previously described colors. Often the American and black-brown rabbits are assigned to the animals of the breed, but this is an erroneous opinion, because the representatives of brown colors are painted in 2 colors, and not in uniform one tone.
The Viennese blue rabbit is unpretentious and quickly adapts to any situation, therefore the changeable climate and other individual characteristics of its contents will not frighten it. The animal is not demanding. So, it is enough for the rabbit breeder to choose the most convenient way of keeping: a barn, an outer cage or rabbitry. The best option is an outdoor cage, which can be placed in a barn or left in the open. In addition, it is allowed to change the placement methods based on the season, weather, the animal’s health status, etc.
Cellular conditions for keeping Vienna blue rabbits have several advantages:
- the ability to control the spread of infections;
- drawing up a specific and individual feeding regimen;
- the ability to control mating and okrol;
- convenience during disinfection and preventive measures.
Choosing this or that way of keeping, it is necessary to foresee the fact that the animal in the future could be in comfortable conditions and have the opportunity to move freely and eat balanced.
In order for the rabbit to provide the owner with a high-quality skin, a balanced and proper diet will be needed. It is important to make the menu, taking into account the individual nutritional requirements of the animal. The main emphasis should be on the following:
- The blue rabbit should receive a sufficient amount of green food and various bran. Feeding with fishmeal, whey and acorns will be very beneficial.
- Giving rabbits juicy root crops, silage, garden fruits and gourds (for example, watermelon, pumpkin, zucchini).
- Feeding with hay, willow branches, linden, shrubs.
- Blue rabbits should not need food that is high in fiber and essential nutrients.
Dirt and dust should not enter the food, and mold should not appear. Leave it in the most convenient location for the animal. In addition, rabbits should be provided with free access to clean and fresh water.
It is especially necessary to closely monitor the condition of the animals in autumn and winter, because it was at this time that the rabbits from the Vienna blue breed began to experience an acute shortage of nutrients and vitamins. In order to prevent diseases and worsening of the condition of animals, it is necessary to diversify feeding with concentrated feeds. When calculating the feed consumption is guided by the weight of the animal: 4 feed units are needed per 1 kg.
How to choose a rabbit in the farm
In addition to the blue color of the rabbit, it is important to pay attention to some more characteristics of the individual in order to grow a truly healthy animal.
- The crawl must be mobile: if the animal is not active, you should consult a doctor.
- The crawl should have a straight and graceful back. If it is hunchbacked or failed, this cannot be considered a normal sign.
- A fuzzy must have a moving head, but frequent throws and wraps indicate problems associated with poor blood circulation in the brain.
- The animal must have the correct bite: the lower teeth should be clearly below the upper ones.
- Rabbits from the Vienna Blue breed cannot have “bald” limbs - the legs should be lowered. The same applies to the condition of the skin: it should be thick, plush and cannot have white or other blotches and marks.
A rabbit can be acquired only after a thorough examination, when compliance with all criteria is determined. It is better to make a purchase from a trusted seller.
Advantages and disadvantages
The disadvantage of this variety is only one: intolerance to stress and cheap, dirty food, which is quite reasonable and suitable for the characterization of any animal.
The benefits include:
- Good adaptability not only to climatic conditions, but also to feed. The first factor played a significant role in the distribution of the breed in Russia. Plus, aviaries, warm rabbits, cages and sheds are suitable for breeding.
- Quick weight gain from birth and the presence of pure meat after slaughter in the amount of 65%. To get diet meat, you need to start slaughter after 70 days after birth.
- The presence of incredible and unique in color fur, characterized by a pleasant appearance and downiness. The skin of rabbits is considered very high quality, its large size is also amazing.
- Quick addiction to the owner and the absence of any aggression. The kids' temper is so calm that they are sometimes used as decorative ones (which is not always appropriate, because rabbits need special grooming and a large living room).
The Viennese Blue rabbits, as it turned out, possess not only a pleasant appearance and calm disposition, but also other positive features. Tasty meat, high-quality animal fur, and environmental friendliness put Viennese blue rabbits on the podium of the best breeds.