Description of turkey breed Bronze Shirokogrudaya
Most people have a turkey associated with Thanksgiving, because in fact it is the most striking symbol of this holiday. This bird is a real decoration on the farm and a source of tender meat. There are a lot of breeds, but one of the first items on the list is still bronze turkeys. Since they differ from everyone else in their unique characteristics.
Bronze broad-breasted turkeys belong to broilers. Initially, they were created especially for closed-type farms in America. This breed turned out after they began to cross domestic look and wild. Therefore, they have undeniable advantages over the rest. The bronze broad-breasted turkey is quite large, as for poultry. On average, a female breed of turkey bronze broad-chested weighs from 8 to 10 kilograms. If you adhere to the correct nutritional conditions and keeping birds, then the weight can be more than 10 kg. Regarding turkeys, they reach even greater weight indicators, on average from 15 to 18 kg. And if the farmer carefully monitors balanced nutrition, then the weight of bronze broad-breasted turkeys was more than 20 kilograms. If the male gained up to 30 kg or more, then this is not a normal indicator; at this weight, the bird develops obesity. They fully correspond to the name of the bird.
Types of Bronze Turkeys
Bronze broad-breasted turkeys belong to broilers. Initially, they were created especially for closed-type farms in America. This breed turned out after they began to cross domestic look and wild. Therefore, they have undeniable advantages over the rest.
The bronze broad-breasted turkey is quite large, as for poultry.
On average, a female breed of turkey bronze broad-chested weighs from 8 to 10 kilograms. If you adhere to the correct nutritional conditions and keeping birds, then the weight can be more than 10 kg. Regarding turkeys, they reach even greater weight indicators, on average from 15 to 18 kg. And if the farmer carefully monitors balanced nutrition, then the weight of bronze broad-breasted turkeys was more than 20 kilograms. If the male gained up to 30 kg or more, then this is not a normal indicator; at this weight, the bird develops obesity.
They fully correspond to the name of the bird.
The largest birds
In the mid-60s of the last century, a new breed was bred, which was called the Caucasian bronze turkey. Inexperienced farmers often confuse it with the ordinary, but it differs in a number of characteristics. To improve productivity and mass, the North Caucasian turkey crosses with other breeds. The greatest distribution of this species in the southern part of Russia, from here the name went north or just Caucasian, as well as in Ukraine, Belarus, and North Asia. The very first difference from bronze broad-breasted turkeys is in weight, the body weight of this breed is on average half less, males 10-11 kg, females 5-6 kg. The egg production rate is also not very high 65-70 eggs for the period of productivity.
At the very beginning of the turkey breed of bronze, they were bred for industrial conditions, so the birds do not adapt well enough to other feeding options (walking). In order to achieve the desired level of productivity, the producer must correctly recreate the conditions for keeping the bird.
- The broad-breasted bronze needs a well-ventilated and spacious building. An ideal solution would be to keep turkeys in the aviary. For this, one male and several females are placed in one aviary.
- Despite the fact that the weight of the birds of the broad-chested breed is very large, and sometimes even frightening, they consume so much food in one day. The main thing is that it be rich in vitamin complexes and antioxidants with minerals, and also be as balanced as possible. Some farmers add nutritional supplements to improve the health status of birds. Suitable as feed: grain, cereals (mixers), grass, etc.
- Up to 20 weeks, bronze broad-breasted turkeys consume on average 1.5 kg of feed per kg of their weight per day.
Canadian bronze broad-breasted are the largest representatives of these poultry. This breed is meat broilers, in which the weight of a turkey can reach 15-30 kg, and in this case, this figure does not indicate any anomalies. The content of these birds is economically advantageous, they are not picky in food, the optimal weight is achieved in 2-4 months. Therefore, at the age of 1.5 months, Canadian turkey poultry have the weight of an adult duck. But the main thing that farmers should pay attention to is that the chicks quickly catch intestinal infections and other diseases.
For their breeding, you need a well-lit, clean and warm house. Canadian bronze broad-breasted turkeys cannot develop normally in cramped conditions, so the room must be spacious. The minimum acceptable temperature in the house is 5-7 degrees, maximum 29-30 degrees Celsius.
Moscow bronze broad-breasted turkey is a unique bird species. Indeed, unlike the others, this breed feels excellent in an open area, so they can be bred and kept in the courtyards, and not just in the houses. The average weight of Moscow bronze broad-breasted turkeys reaches 18-20 kilograms. Turkeys are half as much.
France in modern times is one of the leaders in breeding this breed. Many French farms, along with America and Russia, nurtured quite good individuals, which, thanks to the place of production, became known as the “French bronze broad-breasted turkey”.
Since the breeding of this breed, birds are distinguished from the rest by their fast growth rates. Somewhere after 4 - 6 months, the farmer receives a fully formed individual, which will already be an excellent source of tender meat. Those involved in breeding know that females need less time for a week to gain weight than males.
The breed of bronze broad-chested has good resistance to a variety of diseases. This is because they come from the interbreeding of wild and domestic individuals. Wild ones have always been distinguished by good stamina and excellent health, since they had to survive in difficult and dangerous conditions.
The bronze broad-breasted turkey begins to rush at 8 - 11 months. During the season, the egg production rate is on average 90-100 pieces.
Breeds of bronze broad-breasted turkeys quickly pay back all the expenses that were spent on their maintenance. Since their meat is very tender and has to many tastes, especially those who have diet food. The amount of meat in an adult is 70-85% of the total mass. Of these, muscle tissue - 50%, fat content up to 10%.
Features of content and nutrition
Breeding and rearing crosses is not a very difficult process, as the females are excellent mother hens, so they easily take care not only of their chicks, but also of goose and chicken babies. An important point, only born turkey poults are wet, so you need to wait until they dry, after which they must be placed in a room or place in which the temperature is not lower than 28-31 degrees. The percentage of hatchability, as well as survival, is quite high.
- The house should be spacious so that the bird can feel comfortable. Some industrial farms keep birds in their cages, since one square meter is enough for one adult bird. If the climate in the region involves too cold winters, then additional heating is needed. It is also important to eliminate drafts, increased levels of humidity and dampness. Indoor temperature should be constant, and not change from hour to hour.
- Hay or straw can be laid on the floor. So broad breasts, even in severe cold, will not freeze their lower limbs. With all this, the room still needs to be ventilated.
- A perch is mounted at a distance of half a meter from the ground. The width between the perches is 35-40 centimeters. To maintain cleanliness, under them you can mount specialized containers for litter. They are regularly cleaned and disinfected so that harmful microorganisms do not spread.
- For the summer, prepare a small fenced area for walking birds. It is good if it is covered with a canopy from the rain.
- For young individuals, it is necessary to carefully draw up a diet so that it is rich in mineral supplements and vitamins. Since in the period of development, they gain the bulk. For adults, you can use specialized feed, as well as waste (boil clean well with vegetables).
- In winter, when there are not so many herbal mixtures, you can feed the birds dry, clean grain in the morning and evening, and give a mash for lunch for a change of diet. The ratio of dry feed to vegetable additives should be one to one.
- Bronze broad-breasted turkey poultry do not need special nutrition, but there is one caveat they need to give a little more protein food. Vitamin supplements (carrot tops, green onions, beets) and boiled potatoes are added to the mixers.
If the process seems to be very difficult in words, then you can watch the video description, which shows all the points regarding the breeding of bronze broad-breasted turkeys.