Description of cabbage cale
Cabbage Cale has appeared in our country recently. It is grown for decorating the plot and eating. Cale cabbage can be grown even in the cold season.
Description of cabbage cale
Kale cabbage is an annual herb that does not have a head of cabbage. The vegetable has shortened stems. Foliage has 2 tiers and is located on cuttings. The appearance of cabbage is unusual. The leaves are curly, waves are visible at the tips. Only leaves are suitable for food; stems and petioles inedible. Animals can eat the vegetable completely.
The plant is green, red, gray, purple. The color depends on the variety, so the plant is often grown in flower beds as a decorative element. The size of the bush reaches a height of 25-50 cm. After the vegetable has ripened, part of its leaves are torn off, and the plant continues to bear fruit. It is added to soups, stewed, salads are prepared for it.
Variety of varieties
Thanks to the breeders, there is a large selection of Kale Kale.
- The most famous species is Kale Kudryavy.
- The Tuscan Cale variety has a pale green color of foliage.
- Cold Resistant View - Premier.
- The Siberian variety has strong immunity to pests.
- Red Russian cabbage. The Russian species has a bright color of leaves from red to purple.
- Kale Redbor F1 is often used to decorate dishes.
- Trostyanaya cabbage is distinguished by its huge size (up to 190 cm in height).
Kale Kale has invaluable benefits for the human body. Vegetables can even replace meat.
- The plant contains a lot of calcium: 1.35 ml of the element per 1 g. Vegetable calcium is quickly absorbed in the body, and not the one found in dairy products.
- 200 g of foliage helps to stock up on a daily protein intake. The same amount is contained in meat.
- Each Kale cabbage is a natural antioxidant.
- Vegetable recommended to lose weight. 100 g of product contains only 50 kcal.
Growing Kale kale is a straightforward process, but you should familiarize yourself with its features. The plant has a low survival rate, so it is better to sow the seeds immediately in an open area. If the gardener devotes as much time as possible to the seedling method of cultivation and follows all the necessary rules, it will be possible to collect a good and tasty crop.
Seedling method of growing
The plant needs good lighting
Growing seedlings occurs in stages.
- 40-50 days before planting in open ground, sow seeds for seedlings. Take individual pots and fill them with nutritious soil. 2-3 seeds are placed in each container.
- Seeds are immersed in the ground to a depth of 1 cm, if it is deeper, the stems will not appear for a long time.
- In order for the seedlings to grow simultaneously, they create the necessary conditions for growth. The air temperature must be at least 24 ° C. The containers are covered with a film until the first sprouts appear.
- Next, the seedlings are grown at a temperature of 16 ° C. The plant needs lighting at all stages of development.
Seedlings are ready to dive after 6 weeks. By this time, her foliage becomes noticeably curly. Dive carefully so as not to damage the roots.
To grow Cale leaf cabbage without any problems, you need to prepare the soil. It is advisable to select a site after legumes, tomatoes, potatoes or cucumbers. Land is being prepared in the fall. Humus, compost and mineral fertilizers are added to it. All components contribute 3 kg per 1 sq. m. The acidity of the soil should range from 5.5 to 6.8 pH. Checking it yourself will be difficult, so you can track the acidity by the presence of weeds on the site. If wood lice grows in large quantities, granular sulfur is added; if not, compost is added.
The landing site should be sunny or partial shade. Sowing is carried out in April, so that the earth warms up to 5 ° C.
If you choose the right seat, without winds and with normal lighting, the growing process will be simple.
Watering is plentiful, especially during the hot season. The plant loves moisture, so you should make sure that the soil is always moderately moist. After each watering, the soil is loosened. If the foliage dries, it is immediately removed to prevent the appearance of insects.
The soil is fed every 6-8 weeks, starting from the amount of harvested crop. The plant can not be overfed, because the leaves will begin to rot. For top dressing, a solution of mullein, chicken manure, wood ash and herbal solution is used. After watering, the vegetable is sprinkled with dry ash.
To prepare the infusion, for 100 liters of water take 10 kg of grass, 2-3 kg of litter or mullein. The solution is insisted day.
Diseases and Pests
The plant often suffers from such insects as sawfly, scoops and flies, aphids and fleas, slugs and caterpillars, worms and flower beetles. Control measures for harmful insects:
- every day powder with foliage ash or tobacco;
- sprayed with vinegar or chicken droppings;
- pour iodine or ammonia over foliage;
- use chemicals in accordance with the instructions.
As chemicals, “Bankol”, “Kemifos”, “Fury”, “Sharpei”, “Aliot” and others are suitable. To prevent diseases and insects from appearing, it is important to remove weeds on the site and follow all the rules during watering and top dressing.
The vegetable has an excellent appearance, taste, and also has a huge number of useful properties. It’s easy to grow a good harvest, you don’t need to put a lot of effort into it. Both experienced gardeners and beginners in this business will be able to cope with the process.