Cucumber and eggplant salad for the winter
Among the preparations for the winter, eggplants are traditionally cooked with savory snacks, with the addition of bitter pepper and garlic, which are spicy and pungent. But what about those who do not like such conservation or who are contraindicated in spicy dishes? Try to make a salad of cucumbers and eggplant according to the proposed step-by-step recipe with photos. Such a preparation of eggplant and cucumber with the addition of tomatoes, sweet pepper and onions is not at all sharp (of course, if you wish, you can add a bit of hot pepper to the salad), juicy and incredibly tasty.
Cucumber and Eggplant Salad
- Eggplant - 1.4 kg
- Cucumbers - 0.7 kg
- Tomatoes - 1.4 kg
- Sweet pepper - 0.7 kg (preferably red)
- Onion - 0.3 kg
- Sugar - 90 g
- Vegetable oil - 200 ml
- Vinegar - 70 ml (9%)
- Salt - 1 tbsp. l
- Try to choose young eggplant for the salad (from overripe vegetables, the harvest will turn out not so tasty), without damage (too large fruits are also better not to take). Wash them well and cut the tail, then cut into large pieces.
- Fold the sliced eggplant into a bowl (preferably deep). To remove the bitterness from them, salt the vegetables, mix the eggplants thoroughly with your hands, gently squeezing them so that all the pieces are salted, and leave for 30 minutes, then rinse the blue ones with running water and squeeze.
- Peel the seeds of sweet pepper (it is best to take large, red and fleshy), if necessary, remove the partitions, wash and cut into large pieces (approximately the same size as the eggplant).
- Try to take cucumbers too young, not overripe. Wash them well too (if time permits, pre-fill with ice water for 15 to 20 minutes so that they stand for a while), cut the ponytails and cut into halves of circles (small cucumbers can be cut into whole circles).
- Ripe tomatoes (they can be just overripe and even slightly spoiled for the preparation of the salad), wash, remove the stalk (if necessary, cut or cut the spoiled part of the vegetable) and twist them with a meat grinder or a blender into tomato puree. If desired, the peel from the tomatoes can be removed beforehand, for this, pour the tomatoes with boiling water, then place in cold water, and then easily peel the peel.
- Pour the finished tomato puree into a deep container (it can be a saucepan and a bowl, but always with a lid), in which you will cook the salad.
- Onions, peel, wash and cut into half rings (small onions can be cut into rings), then pour it into a saucepan with tomato puree and boil for 5 minutes (from the moment of boiling), stirring occasionally.
- Next to the onion and tomato puree alternately add chopped vegetables - bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplant. Mix everything thoroughly, cover the container with a lid and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, occasionally stirring the salad.
- After the allotted time, add salt and sugar to the salad, pour in vegetable oil and vinegar, mix and cook for another 5 minutes over low heat, but with the lid open.
- After the eggplant and cucumber salad is ready, lay it in previously sterilized half-liter jars, filling them up to the neck.
- Roll up jars of salad (cork) and turn them over, wrapping them in a blanket until they cool completely.
- It is best to store cooled preservation in a cool place, no more than two years (when using homemade vegetable oil - no more than a year).