The correct terms for harvesting garlic in 2018
Harvesting garlic in 2018 depends on what type of this crop is grown. It is winter and spring.
The right time for harvesting garlic
Also, the period of the harvest depends on the climatic conditions of the area. Properly defined periods will help ensure long-term storage of the product.
Harvesting Winter Garlic
This species is characterized by a high yield, but it is stored worse than spring.
The bulb consists of 4-6 large, juicy cloves. Landed in the fall. Harvesting in 2018 will be carried out at the end of July. You can navigate by the date of the first shoots. From this moment, about a hundred days should pass. In central Russia, garlic is usually harvested in late July and early August.
The maturity of the winter type of vegetable can be determined by the following criteria:
- The lower leaves dry, and the upper begin to turn yellow.
- On arrows shells of bulbs burst and seeds are visible. You can get rid of such arrows in advance by leaving a couple of pieces. This will allow the largest cloves of garlic to develop.
- You can dig out a couple of heads of garlic and scrutinize them carefully. If the scales are dry, has a purple tint, this indicates the maturity of the vegetable. If you can easily separate the teeth, then the garlic is overripe. In this case, it must be excavated immediately.
Spring garlic harvesting terms
This species is characterized by a long shelf life.
The head usually consists of 10-12 small cloves. Landed in early spring. Harvesting in 2018 will be in late August and early September. In the Urals and in the northern regions, garlic is harvested until the end of September. But only if the weather was cool during ripening. In the Moscow Region, the climatic conditions are different, and the harvesting period is slightly shifted. Garlic is harvested in the last third of August and in the first third of September.
The summer type of culture is characterized by such signs of ripening:
- The stems and leaves turn yellow, the bushes lie.
- Drying of the root neck is noticeable.
- You can inspect the head of garlic, as with a winter look. Signs of her maturity are similar.
Garlic Harvest Rules
Do not cut the greens immediately
Consider the rules that must be followed when harvesting.
- Better to wait for dry weather.
- You can dig out the vegetable both in the morning and in the evening.
- Dates should be short - about a week.
- Bulbs must be dug up with a shovel and pulled to the surface, while pulling the tops. You can also use the pitchfork.
- It is not recommended to trim all leaves at once.
- Care should be taken to damage the roots as little as possible.
To speed up the process, you can use a special combine. It extracts garlic along with the stem, and also cleans it from the soil.
After digging up the vegetable, remove the soil from the bulbs.
Care must be taken not to damage the heads as well as the roots. No need to bang heads against each other. In dry sunny weather, you can leave the vegetable to dry directly in the garden. Then it must be moved to a dry room with good ventilation. If the weather is cloudy, there is high humidity, do not leave garlic on the street. Drying is recommended for two or three weeks. At this stage, you can remove the leaves. In the process of drying the heads of garlic, thanks to them, they will manage to get additional nutrients. You should not wash the vegetable, as this can lead to its decay.
When storing vegetables should follow certain rules.
- Temperature. The air can be both warm and cool. For winter species, the optimum temperature is about 2-4 degrees heat.
- Humidity. Must be between 60 and 80%. With low humidity, the cloves will lose their juiciness, and high can cause a disease.
- Ventilation. The rooms should be well ventilated. Otherwise, there is a risk of disease and loss of elasticity of the vegetable.
You can store garlic in many ways. Let's consider them in more detail.
- In the banks. It is necessary to sterilize the container beforehand. Fold the garlic there and cover with a capron cap.
- In a jar of salt. To do this, put a layer of salt in a jar, then a layer of garlic heads, salt again, and so on. The thickness of the last layer of salt should be about 2 cm. Some prefer to use flour instead of salt.
- You can dip the heads of garlic in paraffin in a liquid state, and then store. Such a shell will better retain moisture.
- You can also treat the vegetable with a solution prepared according to the following recipe. It will take 20 gr. iodine and 1 l. vegetable oil. It is necessary to dissolve iodine in oil, and then treat with a solution of the head of garlic. Then they need to be dried and put in boxes of plywood. Leave for a while in a warm, cool place.
- The product will be well stored in the refrigerator. To do this, clean its teeth. Then put them in a glass jar and pour in the same vegetable oil. Such oil can be added to salads, as it will become very fragrant.
- You can store garlic in cloth bags. If the air humidity is low, it is recommended to mix the garlic with the onion husks. If the humidity is high, the bags with garlic in them should be treated with a high concentration of salt solution. This will not only get rid of excess moisture, but also protect the crop from diseases, as well as pests.
- Also weave braids or wreaths from the heads of garlic and hang them from the ceiling.
Everyone can choose the method at their discretion and ensure long-term storage of this useful product.
In order to collect a good harvest of garlic, you should adhere to certain rules. Today, there are various ways of drying and storing vegetables, which allows you to choose the most convenient option for yourself.