Conducting foliar feeding of potatoes
Foliar top dressing of potatoes is often used to provide the vegetable crop with the required nutrients, which is the key to a good future harvest.
Conducting foliar feeding of potatoes
The action of foliar feeding
Often used in the cultivation of vegetable crops, leaf nutrition allows for up to 100% yield. This is due to the fact that, by its nature, potatoes have a strong susceptibility to foliar nutrition due to the ability of its leaves to rapidly absorb nutrients required for growth and development. In the process of such replenishment, not only the leaf part of the plant, but also the stems with inflorescences take part, which gives a high degree of absorption and digestibility of the fertilizers applied.
Nutrient macro- and micronutrients that occur during foliar top dressing react with the part of the potato bush that requires and needs to be fed.
In contrast to the root root habitual for gardeners, which requires the introduction of a large amount of fertilizer due to the reduced susceptibility of potatoes to it, foliar can reduce material costs for fertilizing a vegetable crop.
Features and timing
Leaf nutrition of potato culture has its own specifics. Spraying with solutions with organic and inorganic fertilizers requires additional techniques and compliance with the deadlines provided for this.
If spraying is carried out incorrectly, the multilayer epithelium of the plant leaf blades, coated with a wax protective film with cutin on top, becomes a persistent barrier to the penetration of the nutrient solution.
The natural barrier layer of leaves reduces the effective effect of foliar nutrition by at least three times.
In order to overcome this obstacle in order to increase the penetration rate of fertilizing into plant cells, experienced gardeners resort to the use of specially designed agents - surfactants, or surface active substances, also called adjuvants.
In many cases, adjuvants are already contained in those formulations that are intended for the nutrition of vegetables. Instructions will tell about their presence as a component. When surfactants are not part of the drug, it is purchased separately and added to the spray solution.
The meaning of the use of adjuvants is to increase the area of liquid spreading on the leaf surface, the destruction of the protective layer of the leaf plate and the retention of nutrients through the formed microdamages in the leaf surface.
Among the terms when you need to carry out leaf bait, there are four main stages:
- the initial fertilizer is carried out 15-20 days after the tubers are planted in the soil, when there is a need for nitrogen fertilizers, the best foliar top dressing during this period is urea,
- secondary processing falls on the flowering period of potato culture and requires a complex solution that involves solutions of copper sulfate, potassium chloride, ammonium nitrate, superphosphate,
- the third and fourth bait is carried out with fertilizers, in which among the main components are boron, iron, manganese, potassium and magnesium.
Each gardener has his own potato bait recipes that help plant growth and act as a means of prevention in the fight against fungal diseases:
- through nitrogen spraying protect vegetables from a nematode,
- nettle infusions are often used to effectively combat aphids,
- vitriol is known as a remedy against late blight and a way to increase the shelf life of the crop,
- Boron is used so that there are no voids in the grown tubers,
- Manganese, which is part of the solutions, improves the taste and sugar content of potatoes.
The treatment of plants with boron and manganese and the use of potassium are carried out at the stage of formation of potato tubers, when flowering has ended. Often used ready-made drug Azofoska. Urea spraying has a beneficial effect on the growth of tops. At the last stages of the development of potato culture, three weeks before harvesting, superphosphate treatment is carried out. Humates are used throughout the growing season.
Schemes and recipes for foliar top dressing
The composition of the fertilizer depends on the stage of plant growth
The use of a particular composition for potatoes depends on the stage of development of the vegetable crop.
They are used throughout the growing season, starting with the fourth leaf on the sprout. There are ready-made solutions, for example Gumat 7, which are bred 2 grams per ten-liter bucket. The consumption of such bait will be about 3 liters per 1 hundredth of planting.
Foliar top dressing of potatoes with urea is used during the period when the first seedlings appear. Treatment with urea contains nitrogen and thereby compensates for its deficiency in the initial stage of plant development. The urea spray solution includes:
- 10 l of water
- 0.2 kg of urea,
- 0.3 kg potassium monophosphate,
- 10 grams of boric acid.
Urea spraying is often used, before the onset of flowering, subject to a two-week break between procedures. In the secondary and subsequent spraying, an increase in concentration is allowed with a decrease in the amount of water to 5 liters. In some cases, finished microfertilizers are added to the urea solution.
It protects the growing potato shoots from diseases and pests and provides nutritious nutrition for the development of potato tubers. Spraying with copper sulfate is carried out at the flowering stage and includes a set of components:
- ammonium nitrate and potassium chloride - 2 g each,
- superphosphate - 20 g,
- copper sulfate - 0.1 g,
- water - 10 l.
Boron with Manganese
At the end of the flowering process at the ripening phase of root crops, it is recommended to feed potatoes with boron and manganese. To do this, there is a finished preparation Mag-bor, which is diluted in the proportion of a large spoon (15 grams) per ten liter amount of water. Together with them, foliar top dressing of potatoes with potassium can be carried out.
Foliar top dressing of potatoes with superphosphate occurs at the end of the vegetative stage of development of a vegetable crop. Superphosphate is the key to improving the taste of potatoes and increasing the shelf life and shelf life of the future potato crop. For spraying, 100 g of superphosphate is diluted in 10 liters of water.
Due to the specific structural features of the leaf plate of potatoes with a dense film protection, top dressing of potatoes requires certain rules to ensure greater efficiency in the supply of nutrients to plant cells.
- First of all, it will become useless to spray in the rain or directly in front of it, since it takes at least 3 hours for the potato to be digested.
- When feeding, it is not recommended to exceed the permissible dosage.
- When frost occurs, potato dressing is postponed until warm.
- In order to avoid getting potato bushes burns, top dressing in hot weather is not carried out. For this, morning or evening hours are selected.
- It is recommended to choose a small drop sprayer for spraying.
These simple rules of foliar top dressing of potatoes will provide plants with proper nutrition and bring the expected potato harvest.