Collection of blooming wormwood for treatment and bath
Unique in their properties plants are often used in different areas of human life. To apply their positive qualities, lovers of traditional medicine and households determine the time of maximum concentration of the necessary substances in the leaves and stems. Therefore, the collection of wormwood is made in accordance with the rules and purposes of consumption.
Collection of blooming wormwood for treatment and bath
Features of collecting wormwood
About 180 species of wormwood out of 400 existing grow on the territory of Russia.
They are common in steppe, forest-steppe zones and semi-deserts. Due to the richness of its internal composition and a high concentration of nutrients, the plant is popular for harvesting for the winter.
They begin to collect wormwood in the summer at a time when it reaches a good height, dissolves a lot of leaves. The action is carried out, guided by some rules:
- choose a place with good ecology, where other weed grass grows, away from industrial pollution and dust - washing of raw materials is not expected due to difficulties with proper further drying;
- start harvesting on a sunny day, around noon, when the dew on the stems and leaves dry out;
- Stems up to 25 cm long are subject to collection, individual leaves without cuttings, inflorescences;
- drying is carried out in a shaded ventilated place with a layer of 5-7 cm or in small bundles;
- it is better to store grass in tueski or bags with free access of air, in a warm room.
More often, harvesting begins during the flowering of wormwood. The duration of this period takes 1-1.5 months - from the beginning of July to August, in the northern regions to mid-September. Then the concentration of essential oils is kept at a high level, the usefulness of the plant is enhanced.
Harvesting wormwood for treatment
Closer to July, the grass grows to 1.5 m tall, begins to throw panicles of inflorescences, and then bloom.
In this period of time and before flowering, wormwood is collected for medicine. Only 2 types are suitable - Bitter and Normal. Raw materials are stored for 1.5-2 years.
To harvest Bitter wormwood, the following actions are followed:
- before the formed tip blooms, it is cut;
- collect leaves for treatment begin in May or early June;
- raw materials are dried on paper or fabric indoors without direct sunlight;
- after the first withering of the dried grass, the darkened stems are removed - they are not suitable for the manufacture of medicines.
Ordinary wormwood blooms in the same terms as Gorkaya, but its collection is planned for early summer. The closer to July, the more intense the taste and smell of the plant. For the preparation of traditional medicine, only young stems with inflorescences no larger than 20 cm in length are suitable. Drying of raw materials takes place in the open air, in a draft, in the shade. Inflorescences are collected in bunches or laid out in a thin layer under a non-metallic roof.
They begin to collect wormwood for the treatment of various ailments in the fall, before the onset of the first frost. Choose lateral roots with thick cores, cut so that the plant does not die. The collection is dried in an oven or oven for several hours at a temperature of 50 ° C. Wormwood roots can be stored with the remains of the earth in paper or canvas bags for up to 3 years.
The use of wormwood in traditional medicine
Wormwood Heals Wounds
There are many prescriptions for drugs, which include parts of the plant.
Their dosage is strictly controlled due to possible side effects - hallucinations, convulsions, poisoning. A high concentration of nutrients sometimes becomes toxic if their dose is exceeded.
In folk medicine, wormwood is used to treat:
- general strengthening of the immune system and protective functions of the body in seasons with a high probability of epidemics and common diseases;
- getting rid of worms, lice and other parasites in the human body;
- disinfection and assistance in the healing of wounds, cuts, swelling;
- acting as a painkiller for dislocation of joints, bruises, sprain;
- a positive effect on the digestive and metabolic systems;
- calming nervousness, improving mood;
- removal of the inflammatory processes of the organs of the female reproductive system.
There are contraindications to the use of herbal wormwood drugs. These include pregnancy, the period of breastfeeding in women, asthma, gastritis with low acidity, bleeding and inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.
It is not recommended to give infusions, teas and decoctions to children under 12 years of age. Treatment of people who have an allergic reaction when wormwood blooms is undesirable.
Making wormwood for a bath
Strengthened and flowering grass stems are suitable for making brooms for steam rooms and saunas. To collect wormwood for a bath, they begin in July and August, when the plant stopped flowering, but did not begin to dry. For the bath, 4 types of perennials are considered suitable - Ordinary, Bitter, Lemon, Paniculata. The rest may be too toxic and hazardous to health during flowering.
Harvest brooms from wormwood in several stages:
- cutting stems with inflorescences up to 50 cm long, removing excess leaves in places for the handle;
- the formation of loose bundles of small thickness or the addition of birch, oak, linden brooms;
- leaving in the sun for a short time, so that the grass wilted;
- drying in a shaded ventilated place;
- storage under the ceiling in a suspended form in a cool room.
In the bath, brooms are hung to obtain a pleasant aroma, which is released when the essential oils are activated with hot steam. The smell acts invigoratingly, improves mood, relieves stress, adds strength. To prevent it from being too sharp, other meadow and forest herbs are added to the wormwood bunch after flowering.
Soaring with brooms improves overall health. So that the features of the wormwood are fully revealed, it is soaked for 20 minutes in cold water, then for a short time - in heated. The broom from fresh stems does not require additional steaming, it is used immediately.
Wormwood is collected around the time when panicles begin to bloom in order to preserve its best qualities. Certain types of plants are suitable for the manufacture of folk remedies, as well as brooms for the healing steam room in the bathhouse. Proper production, drying and storage of raw materials guarantee a positive result with a reasonable dosed application.