Characterization of the bow Centurion
Growing onions is popular and common among many summer residents. One of the unpretentious and productive plants is Centurion onion, which relates to everything else to varieties grown on turnips. The onion is distinguished by moderate in taste severity, therefore its use in its pure form is quite rare. Description of onions Centurion is a vegetable that is stored for a long time and suitable for growing in spring and autumn. Planting this onion attracts summer residents with simplicity, therefore it is suitable even for a beginner gardener. The only drawback of the vegetable is that seeds cannot be obtained from it.
Due to its interesting taste, Centurion onions are ideal for use in salads and canned goods. The plant was obtained in Holland. Bred medium sized onions were resistant to cold. What the Centurion onion variety is, as well as how to grow it, will be covered in the article below.
Everything you did not know about seeds and sowing
You can recognize the Centurion onion in the form of a seed by marking f1. The designation is interpreted as belonging to the 1st generation hybrid. That is, trying to get seeds from this onion, there is a danger of harvesting, characterized by unpredictability and lack of the necessary properties. Because sowing Centurion receive only from the seed of the 1st generation. In general, this is considered the only inconvenience that occurs when working with planting varieties. By reading the reviews, you can make sure that the onion hybrid is considered the best of early ripening varieties.
Centurion onion has no outstanding external data. Its main characteristics in the photo are the presence of a shiny husk with a bright brownish tint. The onion flesh, in turn, is white and has a light yellow-green tint. The ripening of onion sets takes 3 months.
To grow onions of this species, you can use both seeds and seeds. Growing sowing for a full crop, you need to be prepared for the fact that the duration of the period may not last for 1 year. Bulbs for which onion seeds of this species were used cannot boast of large sizes, because the volume of the crop is often unsatisfactory.
Proper soil is the key to success
To grow Centurion onion sets, you need to pick up soil that has a neutral acid level. In addition, it is necessary to remember some nuances when choosing and landing.
- Despite the need for nitrogen to enter the plant, the Centurion onion (its description of the variety states this) may suffer from an overabundance of this component. A large amount of fertilizer with nitrogen leads to the fact that the Centurion onion rots, and the bulb becomes too soft. An excess of nitrogen is unacceptable, but it is still a necessary component for onions of this variety, protecting it from withering and weakening.
- Variety of onions Centurion, its characteristic claims that places with soft and crumbly soils, where the humidity is not too high, are suitable for it. You can give preference to sandy soils with a sufficient amount of fertilizer and appropriate care. When choosing the soil, attention should be paid to where the water lies, so that the place is not swamped.
- Beginners, as well as experienced specialists, often forget about crop rotation, as for Centurion onions. Planting should not be carried out after planting garlic, nightshade and similar crops. You can choose a place where legumes, carrots, parsley used to grow. Reviews of summer residents assure that after the listed cultures, Centurion onion grows better.
- Onion seeds cannot be planted under garden trees so that the onion does not appear in the shade and the soil is not depleted. If the vegetable is in the shade, you can forget about the rich harvest.
The description of the variety began with an indication of the unpretentiousness of the Centurion onion. Despite this, one should not let the choice of soil go by gravity. Firstly, clay varieties and peat bogs cannot be selected for cultivating a variety. The best choice is pre-treated black soil. If the soil is chosen incorrectly, then the planting will not be successful, and the Centurion duk will deteriorate before ripening, giving the gardener a mean crop.
How to properly fertilize the soil for a variety
Centurion onions require not only high-quality soil, but also certain fertilizers. When the soil has an inappropriate level of acidity, additional nutrients can help achieve the required data. It is important that the fertilizer was introduced a year before the start of planting work for effectiveness, otherwise you will have to choose another site for planting the variety.
Onion Centurion, the description of the variety of which says its unpretentiousness and stability, grows ideally on alkaline soils. Moreover, nitrogen-containing substances can easily be added to this type of soil without fear of increasing acidity, as the soil will simply become neutral. Particular attention should be paid to recommendations for fertilizing varieties.
- For fertilizer use potassium, phosphorus and a little nitrogen.
- It is worth abandoning the use of exclusively organic and mineral fertilizers. Onions of the Centurion variety deteriorate due to excess organics, rotting directly in the ground due to fungal infections. Due to excess mineral fertilizing, rhizome burns may appear, after which taste will be lost.
- You can feed onion sets with superphosphate, nitrophosphate, potassium and ammonium nitrate.
It is easy and real without any problems to grow onions Centurion. Description of the variety surprises with a large number of positive characteristics.
Everything that you did not know about cultivating seeds
It is impossible to grow any culture without buying a seed, which, as already mentioned, should contain a special mark indicating the possibility of obtaining a quality crop.
Sevka is not recommended to be planted for the winter. The best time for planting is considered to be early spring - the time of thawed soil. The earth must be cleaned from snow and other excess rainfall, so that the soil warms up and becomes an ideal place for planting.
So that the sowing is distinguished by an enviable description, you need to plant the seeds as thick as possible, observing long stripes. One strip should end 5 cm in width. At the same time, it is necessary to ensure that the distance between the strips is large enough to leave room for care and necessary procedures. For irrigation use warm water, and for feeding - furnace ash. To obtain seed material, you need to free onions from pests, fight diseases. When the first green feathers appear, onions need to be monitored more carefully, constantly pouring with warm water.
You can start harvesting from mid-summer. To determine the ripening, you do not need to read the detailed characteristics of Centurion onions, just see the drying, yellowing feathers in mid-July and beyond. Sowing is selected, leaving larger bulbs for spring planting. For the winter they need to be laid in a dry and cool dark place. Since onions have sufficient frost resistance, you can try planting in late autumn.
We are landing correctly
Onion Centurion, the price of which allows you to grow it with seeds in sufficient quantities, can give a not very large crop with a similar method of growing. Planting seeds does not need as much effort and time as when planting seeds. To improve seed germination, it must be soaked in a warm liquid, then wrapped in a damp cloth, while covering with a film. The onion must be left for several days, and as soon as it grows slightly, you can begin to plant.
The characteristics of the seeds say that they need constant recharge of moisture. Drying is strictly forbidden. Seeds located at a distance of 10-12 cm from each other should be planted in rows. You need to fill them in small and shallow pits. Planting should be accompanied by accurate fertilizer, plentiful watering and loosening of the earth. The listed procedures are important to repeat daily. After the appearance of the first green feathers (after several months), the onions are removed.
Ways to care for onions
When the first shoots appear, it is important to provide the onion with full care, so as not to let the Centurion onion variety die. The characteristic of care methods includes several standard measures.
- Proper and plentiful watering, which must be carried out either in the early time or in the evening, otherwise the bright sun will lead to the hardening of the upper layers of the soil, which will interfere with the development of onions. For irrigation use warm water.
- Regular loosening for weight gain and easier growth. For the procedure, you need to be careful when working with rhizomes. Damaging it, you can make an infection and a fungus there that will ruin the crop. Loosen the soil several times every 7 days. When hardening the top layer, care must be taken to break it.
- Thinning beds to improve and accelerate growth. Since the standard bulb of the variety is not large, in the absence of possible volumes, the crop may be unsuccessful.
- Removing diseased and weakened bulbs growing near quality ones. You can’t leave the removed onions for compost, but burn. Fertilize the plants obtained after burning ash.
How to harvest onions and features of growing winter onions
Onion ripening, despite all its properties and advantages, is ambiguous. When ripening, turnip leaves gradually fade, folding to the ground, after which they dig it out with the utmost care so as not to affect the bulbs nearby. When all the signs indicate ripening, you can stop abundant watering and begin preparing for the harvest. The cessation of watering begins a few weeks before receiving the first fruits. Mostly the crop is suitable for canned food, preparation of salads, storage as stocks.
It was found that the species in question has several advantages, including a low moisture content and low shooting. Onions copes well with low temperatures, so it can be planted in the fall. As a winter plant, only planting is suitable, and in no case seeds. In addition, the winter onion does not require constant and plentiful fertilizer, but costs a small amount of ash.
Before planting, the bed should be loosened and divided into several shallow trenches. Autumn planting does not provide for cutting onion necks. When working with the formed rows, you need to sprinkle the earth with sowing or add humus, sand to it in order to improve the quality of the soil. The last step will be to cover the beds with mulch of dry leaves or needles. After reviewing the description, it is safe to say that growing this variety will not bring problems. The characteristic of the onion distinguishes it from others, due to its unpretentiousness and taste characteristics.