Characteristics of Karatop potatoes
Growing vegetables on your own plot is not easy, especially if the region has difficult climatic conditions or the plant is susceptible to diseases and pests. Against the background of all other varieties, Karatop potatoes occupy a favorable position, since it differs from all others in excellent taste data and high immunity to pathogenic pathogens.
Characteristics of Karatop potatoes
If in the process of growing all the norms and rules of caring for the crop are followed, then the grower will get a good harvest, which can be used to prepare a variety of dishes.
Description and characterization give a clear idea that Karatop is a very early variety of potato. The bush is of medium height, has small-sized green leaves. During flowering, white flowers appear on the plant.
The vegetative period is 60-65 days (this is the time from the moment of disembarkation to the state of technical ripeness). After 50-55 days after planting, you can already begin to harvest from one bush receive more than 20 pcs.
Description of the potato variety Karatop says that the tubers are round - oval in shape, weighing from 80 to 120-130 g. The flesh in its structure is granular, yellowish in color, the starch content is 11-12%. Potato Karatop has a high keeping quality, the preservation of tubers from autumn to spring reaches 96%, so it can be left for a long period of time.
Advantages and disadvantages
Recently, this variety has gained great popularity, which proves its clear superiority over other members of the Solanaceae family. To make sure of this statement, it is enough to consider all the strengths and weaknesses of the Karatop potato variety.
The undoubted advantage will be:
- Attractive presentation of products.
- High yields: from 1 ha, 30 to 50 tons are harvested.
- Universality of use (average starch content) On a 5-point scale, taste is estimated at 4.6–4.7 points.
- The variety develops well in almost all types of soil.
- This culture is characterized by its resistance to the development of diseases, such as: viruses A and Y, glandular spotting, cancer.
But, despite all the strengths, the Karatop potato variety has some disadvantages:
One of the main disadvantages is that it does not tolerate drought. If you do not provide for an additional irrigation system, then root crops will form very slowly. And this, in turn, affects the quality of potatoes. Another negative side is that the variety is weakly resistant to late blight.
The description of the Karatop potato variety indicates that this is an early crop, so planting can begin in mid-April, when the soil is warm enough. If the gardener lives in the southern regions, the date may shift, the main thing is that the weather conditions are favorable for the normal development of the plant. An important stage in planting will be the choice of potatoes, in the process it is necessary to adhere to the following criteria:
- those root crops that are not affected by fungal diseases are considered good;
- planting material, which has many eyes, is able to give more shoots;
- the mass of the tuber should be from 60 g to a maximum of 75-80 g.
It is good if the seed material is germinated in advance, for this a small box is taken, a slightly acidic soil is poured into the bottom with a thin layer. Its temperature should be at least 15 C. Selected fruits are laid out here, and they are covered with soil from above. This process is repeated until the box is completely filled. The box is exposed, the average germination period is 2 weeks. After root crops are sorted into a separate container.
The soil must be prepared for planting in the fall
Potato Karatop will grow well and bear fruit if the place of cultivation of the crop is previously selected in the autumn.
But there are several conditions. Tomatoes, cucumbers or carrots should not grow on this site.
It is fertilized with rotted manure, first it is scattered across the territory, and then the land is dug up. Large clumps of land should not be broken up, so the soil will freeze better, respectively, the pest germs and weed seeds will be destroyed. In the spring, the land must be plowed, loosened and leveled with a rake.
When the seeds are ready and their description matches the standard characteristic, the planting can begin. The whole procedure consists of the following points:
- First, trenches are excavated, the depth of which is calculated from the type of soil: heavy 7-8 cm, light 9-10 cm, clay - half less.
- The distance between the rows should be more than 60 cm.
- Planting material is laid out every 30-35 cm and sprinkled with soil on top.
The maturity of the crop depends not only on climatic factors, but also on how well the grower cares for the plant. In this case, it is necessary to know all the nuances in order to prevent mistakes thereby causing harm and reducing the amount of yield. It is unrealistic to completely abandon watering and fertilizer, given the current environmental features.
It does not matter what kind of potato grows in the garden, you need to water this plant under the root. Why so? The first reason is that some do not follow the recommendations and water the plant in the morning, but you can’t do this because the sun can leave burns on the leaves. Second, the culture undergoes late blight, and if the plant is filled with water, then this is fraught with the development of the disease. Under normal climatic conditions, karate is watered once a week.
One of the central roles in the process of obtaining a large crop is feeding.
If a plant lacks certain elements, then it will not be able to develop normally. Oversupply also has a negative impact. The optimal solution would be:
- At the beginning of the growing season, until the beginning of flowering and budding, fertilize the tubers with phosphorus.
- As soon as this need passes, the potato needs potassium, which improves the characteristics of the crop.
- Some gardeners add fertilizing during watering, as on dry ground, it can burn lower leaves or roots.
So that the crop can be further sent for storage, care must be taken to protect plants from harmful organisms. Tubers are eaten by a nematode, a bear and a Colorado potato beetle. Preventive measures can be taken in advance. To do this, perform:
- Spraying. Root crops are laid out on oilcloth, cellophane or tarpaulin. Chemical products are bred in a bucket and tubers are irrigated with them. Then they are turned over so that all sides are treated with the medicine.
- You can also take the drug in a dry form, add ash to it and roll potatoes in this mixture.
- Soak. The drug is poured into a small container and water is added there. Then they put the fruits and they remain there for 2-4 hours, after which they are dried and planted in the ground.
Karatop is a table variety that can rightfully be called one of the best options. Since it involves getting a rich harvest. Subsequent transportation and storage of the product is not difficult. If a gardener does not want to spend time preparing tubers for planting, then planting material can be purchased at agricultural companies.